What is the rotating gear in the menu bar?

Options
billslavin
billslavin
Community Member

I'm new, but confused. There is a rotating gear in the menu bar; when clicked it says "Autosubmit Running..." Is this normal. the movement is distracting. Can I make it stop? Is something wrong?

Comments

• Hi @billslavin,

That icon in the menu bar is for the 1Password auto-submit script. In the Mac App Store version of 1Password, when you submit a Login item the app needs to run the AppleScript to simulate pressing the enter key. The Mac App Store doesn't allow the app to do system events like this, which is why we offer a script instead.

On Yosemite, the system automatically shows that Automator cog icon in the menu bar every time a script, extension, service or anything to do with Automator is being performed. It should disappear once the script has completed. A few users have reported that it does not disappear, but we think that's an OS X issue, unfortunately.

• billslavin
    billslavin
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. It's not going away. Running 10.10.2

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @billslavin,

If you find the cog annoying then you might find this thread useful. You can remove the script and I haven't really noticed the difference but just so you're aware, it could mean a few sites don't automatically submit after you've filled in your login credentials. Unfortunately for the moment this is the only real way to stop the cog so it's a decision each person has to make. I hope that thread helps though and if you have any questions do please ask.

• garyrob
    garyrob
    Community Member
    Options

Running 10.10.3, having the continuously spinning gear problem. Quite annoying. Hopefully between Agile and Apple a fix can be found.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Given the simplicity of our AppleScript I'm not sure there is anything we can do @garyrob. The script is a single line of code so I think the fix will likely have to come from Apple. If it's annoying enough the link in my previous post will help remove the script so it isn't a nuisance :smile:

• garyrob
    garyrob
    Community Member
    Options

Has Agile submitted a bug report to Apple?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We'll have to ask the developers and get back to you on that. I don't know if it's something anybody can easily search for or not (I've not used their bug reporter before).

This discussion has been closed.