Dropbox not updating between two Macs

Options
Eggfly
Eggfly
Community Member
edited May 2015 in Mac

Hello,

I first used 1Password on my iMac, syncing my logins, etc. with Dropbox. I then installed 1Password on my Macbook, syncing with Dropbox as well. The initial install and sync seemed to work between both devices and then my iphone and ipad. However, I have made changes to some passwords on my iMac for instance and it does not appear that the Dropbox file is updating, as no changes are taking place when syncing across my devices.

Here are some screenshots from my macbook and I can provide from my iMac or mobile devices as well if recommended.

The last screenshot is an example of my banking account, which was titled secure-banking.com. I changed that on my iMac to the title Macatawa and changed the password as well, which is reflected inside of 1Password on the iMac only, but does not appear to be synced with Dropbox and pushed to the other devices as "secure-banking.com" remains on those devices after syncing.

Thank you in advance,

Jonathan

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Eggfly,

Because there was the possibility that the final screenshot may have contained a username I've removed the screenshot just to be safe.

I'd like to recommend 1PasswordAnywhere here. If you were to view the .agilekeychain as it is on Dropbox's servers we will be able to confirm if the changes ever made it from the iMac. If you see the modified title then 1Password & Dropbox did their part on the iMac. If the changes didn't make it to Dropbox's server then we know the issue must be on the iMac.

Let's say we identify it is the Mac. There are two aspects to check.

1. Is 1Password on the iMac syncing correctly?
    2. If it is, is Dropbox syncing correctly?

You know how to check 1. and if you click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar you can see the status in the bottom left hand corner of the bubble that pops up. Mine for example says Up to date but Paused is another state (which is fairly self explanatory) and then a variety of others. If it doesn't reach Up to date reasonably quickly we may have identified the cause.

Now we might find the issue from just this or we might have to look a little deeper. Once you report back we'll learn something new and take it from there if need be :smile:

• Eggfly
    Eggfly
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I will try what you suggested. I also realized that on the second device I put 1password on and synced, my MacBook, it seems to be working correctly. So I make a change there it's reflected across my iOS decices. It just appears that if a change originates from the iMac it doesn't sync.

I also noticed this update from Dropbox today which specifically mentions 1password. Thanks, Jonathan

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Eggfly,

If Dropbox sync is working correctly between your MacBook and iOS devices, it sounds like the problem is on the iMac. Aside from the things that littlebobbytables suggested, you can also try copying or moving a small file to the main Dropbox folder on your iMac (something like a text file, picture, or even an empty folder) and then check Dropbox.com (in a web browser) to see if that new file is shown there. If not, the problem is that Dropbox isn't copying any files from your iMac to your Dropbox.com account. Let us know how it all goes!

Also, I'm glad you noticed the Dropbox app on iOS now supports the 1Password extension! We're pretty excited about that too. :) Just to avoid confusion, I wanted to point out there was originally a small mistake in the Dropbox release notes (as shown in the screenshot above) which they've corrected. The note about 1Password support now correctly says:

• 1Password login extension support to create or access your 1Password items

If you need more help with the Dropbox sync issue, please let us know!

This discussion has been closed.