Using the app seperate from the browser.

On my Imac Ipassword works both on my browsers and opens up as a separate application which is better for editing fields.. On my laptop it just opens up in my browsers. How can I open it up as a separate program. I'm not currently using my Imac.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cindy7kalmarx6636,

Is your laptop a Mac, or a Windows PC? On a Mac, the main 1Password app should be in the Applications folder, and you can double-click on it there to open it. Are you having trouble finding it? If so, you can try doing a Spotlight search on your Mac for 1Password. Assuming you're using 1Password 4 or 5 for Mac, the browser extension won't work unless the main app is also installed, so it sounds like it must be there.

Alternately, you can click on the 1Password browser extension, then click the gear icon to the right of the Search field, and choose Open 1Password.

Does that help? Let us know if you're still having trouble with that - we're here for you!

• cindy7kalmarx6636
    cindy7kalmarx6636
    Community Member

Mac, I looked in the application folder, no go... when I do a search under "this Mac" I see a zipped folder- 3-8-12.. spot light search shows App store 1Password- Password Manager and secure wallet... "Alternately, you can click on the 1Password browser extension, then click the gear icon to the right of the Search field, and choose Open 1Password." the gear isn't to the right but on the bottom left. When I click launch 1password app nothing seems to happen. Looks like I'm on 3.9

• cindy7kalmarx6636
    cindy7kalmarx6636
    Community Member

Glad to upgrade if I can be sure not to loose passwords.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cindy7kalmarx6636,

Since you're using version 3, I've moved this discussion to our 1Password 3 for Mac forum, so you can get more help for that specific version if necessary.

In version 3, the 1Password browser extension worked very differently - it kept its own copy of your data and synced changes back & forth with the main 1Password app. So if the 1Password 3 app was deleted from that Mac, the extension would still have the data, and it sounds like that might be what happened.

You should be able to simply re-install 1Password 3 on that Mac. If you have a license for the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 3 for Mac, you can download it from the "Legacy" section at the bottom of our download site. Or if you purchased 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store, simply launch the Mac App Store and reinstall 1Password from the Purchases section (make sure you're signed in with the same Apple ID used to make the purchase).

As far as upgrading, which version of Mac OS X are you using? If you have OS 10.10 (Yosemite), you can upgrade to our latest version, which is 1Password 5. If you have OS 10.9 or 10.8, you can still upgrade to 1Password 4. Let us know about the OS and if you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store or AgileBits Store, and we'll be able to explain exactly what you'll need to do to upgrade. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.