conflicting installations of 1Password on mac with more than one account

Options
rjfomo
rjfomo
Community Member

I don't see a way to solve this. Why can't 1Password distinguish between 2 different accounts on one computer? This is the way Macs are set up. It's an interruption in my workflow every time this happens and it happens too often. What is the solution. We do not want to be sharing one installation of 1Password. I would think that because 1password is installed in each of our home folders, they would not conflict.

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rjfomo,

Why can't 1Password distinguish between 2 different accounts on one computer?

If you login as separate users on the Mac, it should work. Is that the setup you have currently?

• rjfomo
    rjfomo
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, we login as separate users and that's why I'm stumped.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Do you sync externally (Dropbox or iCloud)?

This is a weird issue As @Vee says, it should work. I'm wondering whether 1PW for one of you got set up to use an existing vault (Dropbox, say) instead of a new one.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi @rjfomo,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with 1Password!

As you may already know, your 1Password data is stored within your ~/Library folder (the ~ indicates your Mac user folder), so each Mac user account on that Mac has their own, separate data for 1Password, even though the app itself (in the main Applications folder) is shared.

Can you please elaborate on the problem you're having? I'm not sure I fully understand exactly what you're experiencing on your end.

Why can't 1Password distinguish between 2 different accounts on one computer?

Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you confirm you're talking about two different Mac user accounts? I think you are, but wanted to ask just in case you're talking about multiple vaults in 1Password, which some users might refer to as "accounts".

It's an interruption in my workflow every time this happens and it happens too often.

What exactly happens? The more details you can give us about what you're trying to do and/or what happens with 1Password on each Mac user account, the better we'll be able to diagnose the problem and help to solve it.

We do not want to be sharing one installation of 1Password. I would think that because 1password is installed in each of our home folders, they would not conflict.

When you say "installation of 1Password", are you talking about the 1Password app itself, or your 1Password data? The actual app should be located in the main Applications folder on your Mac, not in the ~/Applications folder of each user. Each Mac user account would have access to the 1Password app in the main Applications folder, but each user's 1Password data would be saved to that user's own ~/Library folder.

You also mentioned a conflict, but haven't explained exactly what sort of conflict you mean. Also, any details you can give us about how 1Password is set up on your Mac will be helpful, including the version of 1Password you're using, if it's the AgileBits Store or Mac App Store version, how you sync your data (iCloud, Dropbox, etc), and so on. Thanks in advance! :)

• rjfomo
    rjfomo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,
    I guess I should start at the beginning. I wrote the first post because I can't find anything in the support documents that addresses my issue. I own actually 4 Apple devices (I'm a freelance video professional): mac mini (as "family" computer and where I do my bookkeeping), mac pro for video editing, macbook pro which duplicates editing platform and an iphone. So I have 1Password, downloaded direct from AgileBits, not the Apple Store, installed on each of these. The agilekeychain is saved to my dropbox account (for obvious reasons, right?). The 1Password application is installed in the applications folder that exists at the root level of each device; except for the mac mini where the 1Password application is installed in the applications folder that is enclosed in my home folder along with all the other usual folders that exist in one's home, or user's account, folder: movies, music, pictures, documents, downloads, etc. There is no 1Password app installed in the main applications folder at the root level on the mac mini. (I don't remember how that choice was made.) My wife also uses this mac mini computer. She logs into a separate account for her. When I convinced her to start using 1Password, since I bought a family license, I had her sign up for a dropbox account, installed 1Password into the applications folder in her home folder, and placed her agilekeychain into her dropbox.

Since upgrading to 1Password 5, each time there is an update, 1Password reports that it has opened the wrong 1Password mini app. And, in fact, there are now two Mini icons in the desktop menu bar. But they both have the same information. The reason why I am flummoxed is that 1Password urges me to stop what I'm doing and address this issue because it cannot function correctly even though it seems to function fine in spite of the "conflict." Let me now mention that this mac mini computer is backed up daily to an external drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. I think 1Password detects itself on this other drive. Carbon Copy Cloner also backs up the Mac Pro hard drive each day that computer is used. But I have never gotten the warning from 1Password on that computer. The mac pro has only one user account and 1Password is installed in the root level Applications folder.

I just want to be able to have 1Password work seamlessly in the background and not alert me to problems that aren't actually compromising my password data, as far as I can tell. I've never seen my wife's password data come up when I use 1Password Mini or a browser extension; but that's what I thought the warning meant: I was accessing the wrong data. What do I do to prevent these warnings?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rjfomo,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. That helps a lot. At this point I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from the Mac that has two 1Password Minis in the menu bar, so we can really see what's going on in there. Here's how: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/diagnostics-report

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forums@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the Report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to figure out a course of action. Thanks in advance!

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

While I don't know exactly what is going on, I would urge you to go back to the conventional form of installation. It can't harm but may well help. In fact I would expect some trouble with your set-up.

That is, move 1PW from the applications folder in your home folder to the main applications folder, and delete the 1PW that is in the applications folder of her home folder.

• rjfomo
    rjfomo
    Community Member
    Options

support ID number: [#NZN-13643-499]

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @rjfomo. I've received your diagnostics report and will reply via email.

This discussion has been closed.