1password 5.3/Fx/Dropbox system -- what is the purpose for each directory file?

Options
helppls
helppls
Community Member

Hi: I do not use iCloud but have noticed 1password keeps trying to access cached information from the cloud. I decided it would be worthwhile to understand 1password's components a little more and the rules driving backup and attachments.

1Password System

• 1Password Desktop 5.3
  • 1Password Mini (always running option selected)
  • 1Password Fx Addon
  • 1Password Sync to dropbox
  • 1Password Sync across WIFI to iphone
  • 1Password Backup folder (monthly I take a copy of the backup directory for safe keeping)

I rarely open/use the Desktop. 4 use-cases.
1. When the Fx Add-On has failed in someway to add the new log auto/allow update/etc..
2. When the Add New option is not showing when navigated to on 1Password mini (cog/Add new). Menu item appears and disappears and do not know what is causing this behavior.
3. To add a PDF to an existing item e.g. Software Purchase Receipt or Software License Number
4. To add a note about the item as something unusual has happened.

To aid this desire, if an Agile member could please complete the following on the** purpose of the directory path and which piece** of the 1Password Application uses them. I am confused as to why so many.

1. /applications (where the 1password Desktop application is stored). Application resources can be seen by right click, show package. Standard Apple OSX design.
2. /library/Backup (where the 1password Desktop application stores backup automatically. Backups are automatic. Can be viewed from within 1password under preferences/backup). Backups occur when? as I could not see any preference setting for frequency.
3. /library/containers/[a number].com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper (??what is purpose of this)
4. /library/containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx (Is this 1password mini folder?)
5. /Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/OnePassword.sqlite (File is stored outside of user's current fx profile so file does NOT get backed up when Fx profile is backed up)
6. /Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/[current fx profile]/extensions/onepassword4@agilebits.com.xpi [1password Fx Addon]
7. Dropbox/1password/1Password.agilekeychain [1password data synchronized to dropbox]

Other Related Questions
1) Where are the PDFs that I attach stored? within the backup file? within the 1Password.agilekeychain file?
2) How do I see all attachments stored across all records stored in 1Password?
3) Are there any other directories store 1password information?

Thankyou for your time in reading this long question and taking the time to reply.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @helppls,

In regards to the various locations mentioned.

1. /Applications/1Password.app. As you say yourself, this is the application which like any OS X application is an application bundle containing the required frameworks and executables to run. I can try to talk more on this if you like but without a more specific question I'm not sure what to say.
    2. /Library/Backup/. This isn't the default and in fact I don't have either a /Library/Backup/ or ~/Library/Backup/ on my system. 1Password should not be backing up here. As a 1Password Mac App Store (MAS) user the backup location for 1Password should be ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/. Backups though will have at most once a day but only if your vault has changed since the last backup. As the backups are about vault history creating multiple backups that don't differ would only waste space and cause confusion. 1Password mini would have to be running though for the backups to occur.
    3. The two folders 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper & com.agilebits.onepassword-osx (should) contain all of your support files for 1Password. Container folders are an encapsulated form of the Library folder for MAS applications. They're a bit messy to navigate thanks to all the aliases which are an OS X thing it seems given all of my MAS applications have them. The 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper folder contains your vault, the backups, preference files, pretty much everything. Here's a list of the folders that actually contain proper data, Application Scripts, Application Support, Backups, Caches, Data, Logs, Preferences & Watchtower
    4. com.agilebits.onepassword-osx contains preferences specifically to do with the main window as 1Password mini (AKA sox-helper) is actually the worker. This doesn't contain anywhere near as much but the way sandboxing works means it gets its own folder.
    5. That file doesn't exist for me, and to the best of my knowledge it shouldn't exist there ever. There is only one OnePassword.sqlite and it should exist in ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/. For a moment I wondered if it was some leftover from 1Password 3 but even then it wouldn't be stored at that level in the path. That's just not right.
    6. As you say, it's the extension for 1Password. Without this file no extension so no password filling. It's just the file off of our website though and can easily be replaced if removed/damaged/lost.
    7. Your vault is stored locally in the encrypted .sqlite file. If you do decide to synchronise your vault using Dropbox this is done by storing a .agilekeychain in your Dropbox folder. It then synchronises to all of your other devices. I can say more if you wish but a bit like 1. if you have specific questions it might help.

As for your other queries.

1. All attachments are stored inside your encrypted vault. They do have to be decrypted and stored temporarily outside your vault to view them and as the item is essentially copied from your vault, any edits you make do not carry back into the vault. You would need to save and add the new version back into the vault. As backups are backups of your vault the attachments are also in there. Same applies for your sync data. The only way to synchronise the attachments is to contain them in your sync data.
    2. To see which items have attachments you will want to first select the All Items in the Sidebar and then check out our Search Options which you can view either using ⌃⌥⌘F or Edit > Find > Show Search Options. Change the menu option titled Title to Number of attachments and then type in the number 0 so the full like reads Number of attachments is greater than 0, in other words, any item with an attachment :smile:
    3. If you use Quick Look or print your vault it will create additional temporary files as part of how OS X operates. We're working on ensuring the Quick Look ones are deleted quickly after a helpful user pointed out a bug but the print ones are harder because we can't touch where they are. Other than that there is a 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits in ~/Library/Group Containers/ that holds your MAS receipt. I believe that should cover it.

Let us know if you have any follow up questions :smile:

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

Hey,
    I just wanted to say thank you to both helppls and littlebobbytables for a really good discussion of OS X file locations and also providing a couple of really cool tips. Have a great weekend.
    —V

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vplewis, I'm glad this discussion was so helpful for you! One of the great advantages of forum support is that one answer can help many people. This discussion was definitely interesting, and in fact I think I learned a couple new things, too! ;)

• helppls
    helppls
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytales, that is such a super reply! Thankyou ever so much. I will go and see why I have these other things that you do not have. One tiny question - what does MAS mean?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @helppls,

I'm so glad to hear that LittleBobbyTables was able to clear things up for you! MAS is simply a short-form for 'Mac App Store'. :)

• helppls
    helppls
    Community Member
    Options

Ohhh.. another thing I did not know. Thankyou Megan.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:smile:

This discussion has been closed.