Downloaded 1P 5 for Mountain Lion -- FAIL

Options
bettyandmaxsboy
bettyandmaxsboy
Community Member

I'd like to download 1P 4 for my Mountain Lion setup. But I paid for 1P 5 and downloaded it. Silly me. How can I get 1P 4 without paying twice?

Thanks.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bettyandmaxsboy,

Well the first thing I can let you know is you definitely don't have to pay twice. We actually only sell 1Password 5 licences but that licence entitles you to run anything from 1Password 3 to 1Password 5 and should you upgrade to Yosemite at some point in the future you still have a valid licence for 1Password 5 and can upgrade.

So how to get hold of 1Password 4? If you visit our AgileBits Download page and scroll to the bottom you will find a Legacy section with a link to the last version of 1Password 4. That should be all you need but if you have any problems or questions you know where we are :smile:

• bettyandmaxsboy
    bettyandmaxsboy
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, littlebobbytables -- I took your advice, downloaded 1P4, and installed it with my 1P5 license. It seems to work (it allowed me to, for instance, log in to the AgileBits Support Forum through Chrome). But I get this little red exclamation point on the 1P logo. The error message says that the Helper is not connected. The troubleshooting page says that this is what is running: 1Password Helper version 3.8.22 (32010)

I get the distinct impression that as far as Chrome is concerned, I am still running 1P3. Is this right?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Do you still have the 1P3 extension in Chrome and have you perhaps not installed the 1P4 extension to replace it?

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bettyandmaxsboy,

That does sound like you're running the older 1Password extension. If 1Password 4 is successfully running and contains all of your items then what I would probably recommend is disabling the older 1Password 3 extension in Safari (you can delete it later once you're happy) and downloading the newer extension which you can find on our Extension page at https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

On a Mac you can configure your extensions by using the Window > Extensions drop down menu in Google Chrome. If in there you see a 1Password 3.9.21.90 Extension then that's the old one and you want to disable it. What you want to see is an entry titled 1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.3.1.90. If you see that you should have a little 1Password vault icon in your toolbar and it should all be good.

Do let us know how you get along and if that helps :smile:

• bettyandmaxsboy
    bettyandmaxsboy
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Stephen and littlebobbytables, so I found the 1P3 extension in Chrome Extensions (thanks for that -- I was unaware of Chrome's Extensions page) and deleted it. After some playing around, I got this "Welcome to 1Password Extension" screen:

The 1Password icon is the circular image, not the key. When I type in my password, I get this error image:

"There is no vault. Please open 1Password app."

In my applications folder, I find both 1P4 and 1P5 apps. Perhaps somehow 1P5 has hijacked the vault?? I could try to uninstall 1P5, but when I do, I get a long list of files that accompany the app itself. Some appear to be 1P4 files, so I'm not sure which ones to remove. Here is the list:

I think I should keep at least the bottom 2 files, but maybe more? Or maybe I shouldn't worry about 1P5 at all?

Thanks for all of your help so far. I'm trying to be as proactive as I can be.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@bettyandmaxsboy

Don't remove any of the files 1Password 4 and 1Password 5 share some of the same folders, which some will still be using the old 1Password 4 name. The team decided that during the migration to 1Password 5 to focus on the more pressing issues rather than changing some of the underlying data folders names.

Both apps share the same data file.

You can open the applications folder and drag the "1Password 5" app to the trash. I always empty the trash and then reboot. The reason for this is that any process that might be held open by the old 1Password 5 app will be stopped during the reboot. It will then not be running after the startup. Thats allows us to start on a clean slate with 1Password 4 and make sure only its processes are running.

• AgileBits doesn't recommend ever using an app cleaner as they can sometimes get overzealous, removing way to much stuff. Including your much needed data file.

After that restart, open the Applications folder and then click on "1Password 4" opening it one time with your master password. Then go back to Chrome and try to unlock the extension again. I saw this same behavior one time earlier. A quick unlock of the main app solved the issue for me at that time. The same one you picture in your middle image above about there is no vault...

• bettyandmaxsboy
    bettyandmaxsboy
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, thightower. That did it. This time, I noticed, way down in the lower right corner, a pale grey button saying, "Let's get started". As soon as I hit that, the open screen came up. I entered my password, and voilà! Everything is roses.

Thanks also to Stephen and especially littlebobbytables for holding my hand through all of this.

Mike Briggs

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Fantastic, I'm glad everything is up and running for you @bettyandmaxsboy. That button does seem to cause some confusion, I think we need to emphasise it a bit more.

I hope you find 1Password 5 a joy to use but if you have any questions or issues we're here all week :smile:

This discussion has been closed.