can i merge two keychains?

Hi, i currently have two macs, each with a rather big osx keychain, that i would like to synchronize

Is this possible by first using 1password version 2 on both macs to import the osx keychains to agile keychains,
then installing 1password version 3 and use dropbox to put one agile keychain out, and then by selecting it on the other mac the agile keychains will magically merge?

Hope it is possible, otherwise i guess write down the content of the smallest osx keychain and enter that data by hand...

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    brenty wrote:

… , but at least in the current version (3.5.4 stable and 3.5.5 beta, i believe,) you can export any or all of your data to a .1pif (1Password Interchange File) from the app's File menu -- to your Dropbox, if you like. Both this data and the OS X Keychain can be imported similarly into 1Password on your other system using the "Import..." option in the File menu.

Also, at least with 1P v3, you can open the exported .1pif file (e.g. by double-clicking it) on the system you want it imported into 1P. It guides you through a few steps (probably documented, but I'm too lazy to look), displaying which items will be added/skipped/updated and allowing adjustments to be made. I've done it several times without any issues, including earlier today.

Someone else can probably fill in some of the blanks here regarding 1Password2 and OS X Keychain import/export options.

I don't know about 1P V2, and remember the OS X Keychain export/import process being primitive (e.g. no duplicate detection) when trying that (maybe back on Tiger).

Thanks for providing a good start for those of us trying to fill in a few more blanks here, brenty. :)
  • solsang
    edited February 2011
    brenty wrote:

Just to be clear, I wasn't sure from your post if you're referring to merging two sets of .agilekeychain data, two sets of Mac OS X Keychain data, or all of the above.

Now, I don't remember much about 1Password version 2, but at least in the current version (3.5.4 stable and 3.5.5 beta, i believe,) you can export any or all of your data to a .1pif (1Password Interchange File) from the app's File menu -- to your Dropbox, if you like. Both this data and the OS X Keychain can be imported similarly into 1Password on your other system using the "Import..." option in the File menu.

You can use Spotlight (Command-Spacebar, in the top right corner of your display) to find and run Keychain Access. For some reason the option to export my keychain data is greyed out, though...

Thank you, i bought 1password and try to merge the two osx keychains by merging two agile keychains!

My plan was to simply install 1P version 3 on both machines, import osx keychain and export a .1pif from one of them to import in the other, and then keeping them in sync with dropbox (for some reason i understood from agile help pages that version 2 was needed to import osx keychains into 1P)

And truly the osx keychain export is greyed out, as it is seems to be only for certificates, apple states you can back up your keychain by copying the keychain file in the library, now when i import the keychain from 1password, it only takes the safari logins, no secure notes or other browser passwords...

What is wrong here?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    As a security measure, accessing data from the OS X keychain is application dependent. Presently, 1Password only supports importing logins from Safari and Camino which are stored in your OS X keychain, but it does not support importing an OS X keychain wholesale.

I'm sorry if that wasn't the answer you were looking for, but I hope it clarifies the situation a bit. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. It sounds like the rest of your process is spot on. :-)
  • khad wrote:

As a security measure, accessing data from the OS X keychain is application dependent. Presently, 1Password only supports importing logins from Safari and Camino which are stored in your OS X keychain, but it does not support importing an OS X keychain wholesale.

I'm sorry if that wasn't the answer you were looking for, but I hope it clarifies the situation a bit. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. It sounds like the rest of your process is spot on. :-)

Yes, i read about keychain and browser import, and being so sure it would take all logins and notes that i already bought a license, seeing you have a 30 day money back guarantee!
    Now i found out that i can import other osx keychains into osx keychain, and then drag and drop the bunch of files from one key to another, having to enter my password for each, still it works and would love to have it shared on the net, wonder whether an automator script could pick up each element and drop it into 1password?
    Thanks for clarifying and maybe write the limitations on the page
    Yours
    Aurin
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Aurin,

Thanks for that additional information. We try to be as upfront about the capabilities of 1Password as possible and provide not only the 30-day money back guarantee you mention — which you are more than welcome to take advantage of if this is a deal breaker for you — but also a full 30-day free trial where you can test out all of the import/export functionality, browser integration, Dropbox syncing, etc. before purchasing.

Please send an e-mail to support@agile.ws if you would like to pursue a refund. We want to make sure you are happy with 1Password or you don't pay! :-)
This discussion has been closed.