Address Book sync

Options
Gudz1ni
Gudz1ni
Community Member

How can I sync my address book on iPhone with 1Password (Identities)? Yes, I know about iCloud, but I wanna protect copy of my contacts in another place, like 1P.

Comments

• MikeT
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi @Gudz1ni,

1Password does not support connecting to any database to sync data, such as your CardDAV database to pull your address book data. Even if 1Password does, it does not mean it can protect it. 1Password can only protect data as long as it has the sole copy and stored within 1Password. Having 1Password sync with your address database does not protect the data in a different app on your device.

When you said you want to protect a copy, do you mean you want to store an extra copy of your address book inside 1Password and then you remove it from your address book, so that you can look up these information from 1Password next time?

• Gudz1ni
    Gudz1ni
    Community Member
    Options

Mike,

thanks for attention. I understand, that sync AB — is bad idea. But what about import from AB (OS X) to 1Password (Identities)? Not sync, just import with all labels (e-mail, phone, address)?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Gudz1ni ,

That feature doesn't exist at this time, but I'd be happy to pass your request along. I'm assuming, as Mike suggests above, that your hope is to use 1Password as an alternate, secure Address Book?

• Gudz1ni
    Gudz1ni
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, yes. I can fill Identities, but it be more simple with one-side import from AB on my Mac...

• Thanks for the details! I'll pass along your feedback to our developers. :)

• Gudz1ni
    Gudz1ni
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, guys! :)

• You're welcome! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

Every few months I export my contacts from the address book and put a copy in Dropbox. This way if something happens and all my contacts are gone, I have a back up copy.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I was going to suggest you could keep the address book export as an attachment but even my meagre number came in at 16MB, well above the attachment limit we have in 1Password. To keep that encrypted you'd want an encrypted disk image (as long as you don't mind it being Mac only for access).

• PJCallow
    PJCallow
    Community Member
    Options

I'm another one in favour of using 1Password as a form of secure address book. I have been horrified to see how Facebook takes contacts from Windows, which takes more contacts from OS-X, which takes more contacts from LinkedIn, etc ...

I have now deliberately destroyed all these interconnections for my computer accounts (PC, Mac, Android phone, ipad - all have 1password installed) but that leaves me with a functionality hole. If I could use 1Password as a secure address book I would gain much functionality back without compromising the security of my accounts. I accept I can't have full functionality and security - they are mutually exclusive as far as I can see.

I am a domestic user, so I won't run into the size issues others have reported when keeping the 1Password archive in Dropbox (I have disabled the Apple and Microsoft equivalents on all my devices).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Those sites do love to 'help' you build up a profile @PJCallow. It's yet one of many reasons I don't like social networking sites at all and actually why I decided on the iPhone when I first made the choice between iOS and Android. With the iPhone I could sync my local contacts to the phone from my computer while to sync in Android it seemed to mean using a Google account, or at least at the time it did.

Anyway, that's slightly off track. The issue isn't actually Dropbox but more we've placed a maximum size on individual attachments. I can pass it on but I can't make any promises I'm afraid, even if I fully understand why you'd like to see it.

This is just me brainstorming here.

I would imagine it would be a pain in the rear without a convertor, but in theory you could create an Identity item per person and store the in a secondary vault that you title address book. I would have thought manually creating each entry would take a while though compared to a script that could transform a known format to a .1pif. This script doesn't exist though, it would need to be written.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Will it help anyone to have a converter from an OS X Contacts vCard export to 1PIF (category: identities)?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MrC,

That's a cool idea. I haven't thought about using 1Password as my address book, but I've been using it to store the addresses of people who I frequently ship stuff to, and I could see a converter for select entries being useful! (I might not be your target audience for this, but I am intrigued.)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Options

Ok, I'll bite. I'll cobble a vCard converter together and see how it works out.

I'm still awaiting that swag bag... :-)

Edit: Progress report: I have the bulk of the converter done...

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Options

I've created and posted a first pass at an OS X Contacts export (vCard) converter. It is in the _testing folder, mentioned in the post 1 of the converter thread. Instructions are in the README. The converter name you want is vcard.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MrC,

Thanks so much for doing this! I'll play around with my own Contacts database and let you know how it goes - I'm excited to try it out. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

You're welcome.

This is a first pass, very lazy implementation of parsing the vCards. I'll update the converter according to real-life user needs/requests. Existing vCard modules (for Perl) required too much additional baggage, or didn't work very well, so I'm doing my own parsing. I will probably rewrite how I parse the vCard later, and I'll readily admit I haven't read the vCard RFC, and instead relied on the patterns in my data sets to guide me through the understanding of the vCard structure!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Gudz1ni and @PJCallow ,

In case you haven't been following the thread too closely here, our friendly neighbourhood import guru MrC has created a converter that can take exported vcards and turn them into a .1pif file that can be easily imported into the Identities category of 1Password. Let me know if this helps!

• PJCallow
    PJCallow
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan. I'll give MrC's converter a try (thanks to him for that) and get back to you as soon as possible.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hope that converter is helpful for you, @PJCallow! If you have any questions or problems with that converter, I'm sure MrC will be more than happy to help.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I posted an update to the converter in the _testing folder. It adds country name -> country code conversion, so that countries can appear correctly named in 1Password address fields.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PJCallow, I just wanted to ping you to make sure you saw MrC's message above. ^^^^

This discussion has been closed.