Forum search relevance

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

I am having issues with the forum search. For example, I tried to search for 1Password 2 and I got a lot of unrelated results. Basically what I got was lots of "1Password", "2", and any other combination. E.g. 1Password 4.5.2. There is a 1Password and a 2 in there.

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2015

Hi @wkleem,

Forum search engines are almost universally weak. Use Google to help:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:discussions.agilebits.com+"1Password+2"&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

• Hi @wkleem,

If you search for 1Password 2 in quotation marks, you might get better results. That will match the search term exactly.

"1Password 2"

Using Google, like MrC mentioned, works fairly well too.

Though you probably won't find many results relating to 1Password 2, since it's so old. There's not much discussion about it here.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2015

Thanks. I wanted to look it up as there was a discussion of 1Password and really old Macs that I couldn't find via browsing

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: Excellent! I'm glad that helped. I agree that forum search can be a bit rough. But I think the biggest problem is that even with the tricks above not everyone uses the same terminology when posting, so you really have to know what you're looking for! Google can be helpful for really powerful searches though, since they support so many options. When I'm not just doing a quick lookup I use advanced search. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2015

@brenty, I did a Google search and the Agilebits Discussion: 1Password 2 (Tiger and Leopard) is still displayed in Legacy. There are some limitations even for Google and possibly others.

The result is a 404.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: Ouch. Google is great when it works, but I'm not sure even they know how to fix stale search results. :(

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Let Me Google That For You might not be suitable for those who may take offense?

lmgtfy.com

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

haha :tongue:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2015

Bing searches. i tried Bing to find "app update" or "app-update 1Password" and could not find any direct reference that wasn't part of a discussion. I could not find this in Bing:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW4

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: Indeed. I'm not sure what the deal is with Bing, since it comes up just fine in Google.

But that's okay. That is mainly just our release notes and version archive. We link to it in 1Password itself and where appropriate in forums, email, and on some other parts of our site. It's there as a resource, rather than something meant for public consumption. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@brenty, I was trying out the alternative search engines. Bing isn't that great. Yahoo is powered by Bing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.