Chrome prompts for Master Password after each restart

I've configured 1Password to automatic unlock for all applications, and it works fine in Safari, but Chrome ask for the Master Password each time i restart Chrome..
Is this supposed to work?

Espen

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Espen. I'm sorry you are having this problem.

Please try moving your 1Password preferences to the desktop (for later deletion, but just a temporary move to see if it even works):

~/Library/Preferences/ws.agile.1Password.plist

It also might help to clear Chrome's cache (Chrome > Clear Browsing Data > Empty the cache) and reinstall the 1Password Chrome extension. What version are you using of Chrome and 1Password?
  • thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    Hello.

I would like to let you know that I have exactly the same issue.
    I previously initiated a discussion with @1Password on Twitter but I think it could be more appropriate to discuss that here.

So the point is : each time I fire Chrome up (full start, not minimized in the dock) the 1Password extension asks for the master password. I tried was you proposed just here above but it doesn't do the trick.
    My preferences are set like on the capture attached.
  • thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    Today I tried 1Password beta. The problem is still there for me.
    I don't understand what's going on, I have a normal Chrome and 1Password install...
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2011
    I am not able to reproduce this. :S

If 1Password is not already unlocked, you will still need to enter your master password. Please try this:

1. Restart your Mac
    2. Open 1Password
    3. Unlock 1Password
    4. Open Chrome
    5. Attempt to use the 1Password extension

Are you still prompted to enter your master password?

Also, please let me know what version of Chrome, 1Password, and the 1Password Chrome extension you are using.
  • thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    I tried what you suggested. As you can see in my capture, 1Password is unlocked but the Chrome extension still asks for the master password. I also let 1Password unlocked and open, unlocked the extension, restarted Chrome... but it doesn't work. I did the same after I uninstalled my other Chrome extension (AdBlock) but the result is the same.

Chrome : 9.0.597.102
    1Password : 3.5.4 (build 30852)
    1Password extension : 3.5.5.30863
  • thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    I installed the extension (same version) in Chromium, same result.
    This is really odd.
  • thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    edited February 2011
    I also just noticed something when Safari and Chrome are open at the same time.
    After I unlocked 1P in Safari, 1P still asks for the master password in Chrome.

Looks like I would have to completely disable the master password, in order to surf the internet in a more convenient way.
    But I obviously didn't buy 1Password for that. To do just that, I can simply use Chrome/Safari built-in password managers. :S
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2011
    After I unlocked 1P in Safari, 1P still asks for the master password in Chrome.

Right. That is the expected behavior if you have checked the setting to "Disable automatic unlock in all applications." However, unless you have checked that at a later time, your screenshot above shows that this setting is not checked. Hence our mutual confusion.

Unfortunately, it can be really difficult to create a fix for a problem if we cannot reproduce it here in the labs. :S

Have you tried toggling the "Disable automatic unlock for all applications" setting?

Could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? This will help us track down the issue more quickly. You can generate the report from 1Password on your Mac by clicking the Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report... menu item and then attach the report to an e-mail to support@agilewebsolutions.com.

Please include a link to this thread so we can "connect the dots" but do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums.

We look forward to resolving this for you!
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    edited March 2011
    I'm having the exact same issue. No matter if 1P is already unlocked or not, Chromium keeps asking for the master-password whenever I re-open after I quit it. Here's my settings:

I reinstalled Chromium from scratch and thus also had to re-install 1Password extension (since it was gone), but that doesn't help. To me it looks like this is somewhat related to how Chromium works in general rather to the extension malfunctioning - but who am I to judge? :P

Hope this gets tracked down, because it's a bit annoying if you're used to entering the master-password after a restart. that's the security level I use. but after every *browser*-restart, that's a bit too much for my use.

Imo, issue with every chromium browser and thus reproducable. Khad, you really can't reproduce this on your system? Which Chromium version are you using? I have the latest (from 02nd of march 2011).
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2011
    My apologies for not updating the thread sooner. We worked with thibaut via email and even did some screen sharing. While we were not able to resolve the issue completely, it does appear linked to the presence of Chromium. I do not believe any of us are able to reproduce this with only Google Chrome installed (sans a Chromium beta or developer build) on a system. It seems as though it is a Chromium-related issue (as opposed to a Chrome-related issue). I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at the moment, but I have filed this in our internal tracker.

Please try uninstalling Chromium (if you are so inclined) and let me know if the situation improves for you.
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    edited March 2011
    khad wrote:

Please try uninstalling Chromium (if you are so inclined) and let me know if the situation improves for you.

Hm, not sure I understand your suggestion. So it seems my guess was right, that it's not some sort of wrong setting but rather chromium itself. And yes: this is not chrome related but Chromium-related. That's why I wrote about chromium and not chrome. Thing is, there is no separate chromium-category on this forum here and the thread (as it turns out) was the appropriate one.

Well, what's bad about chromium? I'd always prefere a browser, which doesn't phone home every single bit I enter via my keyboard. If you trust Google - fine, but my experience with them tells me, there is very little reason to do so. That's why I highly suggest you give chromium a try. Find the latest build here:
    * http://build.chromium.org/f/chromium/snapshots/Mac/

It's basically the same as chrome but without all of Googles sniffing technologies. All extensions work and can be installed ect. I also had another app developer look at chromium and for him it wasn't a lot of work to included chromium under his supported browsers. So maybe it's just a tiny adjustment and 1Password might need to deal with chromium separately.

That being said, I'm not sure if uninstalling chromium is a solution. It's like killing a sick patient and then telling his parents that the desease is now gone.
  • thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    In my case it happened with Chrome before I installed Chromium for the very first time. And it is because 1P failed in Chrome that I tried it in Chromium.

I now completely uninstalled Chromium (thank's to CleanMyMac) but I still can't get 1P to stop asking for the master password...
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2011
    In my case it happened with Chrome before I installed Chromium for the very first time. And it is because 1P failed in Chrome that I tried it in Chromium.

If that is the case, then my theory may have been incorrect.

I now completely uninstalled Chromium (thank's to CleanMyMac) but I still can't get 1P to stop asking for the master password...

Thanks for the update, thibaut. It sounds like we may be back to the drawing board on this one. :S

However, Mike tells me that he can consistently confirm this with Chromium 11 builds. (Chrome 9 stable and Chrome 10 beta shouldn't have this issue.)

It is possible that Chromium added something to the Chrome Profile that somehow broke things. If that is indeed the case, I would recommended that you create a new profile without Chromium installed. Have you done this?

So it seems my guess was right, that it's not some sort of wrong setting but rather chromium itself.

Well, that's what I had suspected anyway. I would still be curious if you have different results than thibaut after uninstalling Chromium. Again, if you are so inclined, especially as it sounds increasingly unlikely to actually resolve the issue.

Well, what's bad about chromium?

Nothing at all.

That's why I highly suggest you give chromium a try.

We at Agile test 1Password in a variety of builds and environments, including Chromium. While we always hope that everything works well, developer builds — there is no stable (or even beta) build of Chromium — are not supported.

So maybe it's just a tiny adjustment and 1Password might need to deal with chromium separately.

The Chrome extension should work just fine in Chromium. Unless we get this resolved, it is likely that a future release of Chrome may have the same issue since it uses the same codebase — the code makes its way from the developer release (Chromium) to Chrome beta to Chrome stable — so we are trying to narrow it down now. ;-)

That being said, I'm not sure if uninstalling chromium is a solution. It's like killing a sick patient and then telling his parents that the desease is now gone.

I think you misunderstood my suggestion. Uninstalling Chromium is not a solution; it would be part of a temporary troubleshooting process. If you are not interested in trying to help troubleshoot the issue for others (or yourself), please leave Chromium installed. :-)

At the moment, I would recommend you try uninstalling any 11.x builds and creating a new profile without 11.x installed if you would like to try to get rid of the problem.

We will continue to monitor the situation and really appreciate all your feedback so far! This reminds me of the secure input bug in Chrome. The bug still exists in Chrome, but we had to code a workaround for it which seems to have worked for the majority of users but may be an ongoing battle.
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    edited March 2011
    khad wrote:

...I would recommended that you create a new profile without Chromium installed. Have you done this?

Long story short: I see, why you can't support chromium for valid reasons. But also, as you point out, sooner or later that code will become part of chrome. I'm all in trying to help solve this. Could you descripe the necessary steps in more detail? Uninstall chrome, then create a new profile? Profile for what? Where is that done? ect.

khad wrote:

At the moment, I would recommend you try uninstalling any 11.x builds and creating a new profile without 11.x installed if you would like to try to get rid of the problem.

So you're suggesting to install a chromium 10 build and then? Re-Install 11 build or not? I like some of the 11 features very much. If I can help testing anything to get this working with the 11 build, pls let me know with a precise step by step how-to and I'll be happy to try that out.

Cheers and hopefully you guys can track that issue down.
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    edited March 2011
    Any news?

UPDATE: Today I received a mail about a reply form MikeT, but it seems like that was pulled, since I can't find his reply?!?
  • thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    Same here.

Updates released for both Chrome & 1Password. I deleted Chrome 9 + all Chrome-related folder in ~/Library/(...). Fresh copy of Chrome 10 + 1Password extension installed but the result is the same, it still asks for the master password upon each start.
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    edited March 2011
    UPDATE: Nothing new for 11 days. :(
  • Been on Chromium nightly for a year now, and have been using 1P inside it since you first posted the link. From my understanding, since Google has to codesign (they did not till 6months ago?) in order to access keychain, something was done, I Think because I get this, even if I tell keychain to allow chromium to have access to all. All permissions are fine, too.

I was wondering if any of this had to do with how google has Chromium setup to do this or the app itself?
  • Espen wrote:

I've configured 1Password to automatic unlock for all applications, and it works fine in Safari, but Chrome ask for the Master Password each time i restart Chrome..
    Is this supposed to work?

Espen

I didn't think this was a bug personally. It come across more as a side effect of the Chrome extension working outside of the normal extension system.
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member

I didn't think this was a bug personally. It come across more as a side effect of the Chrome extension working outside of the normal extension system.

So what do you think would the solution to this look like? An official 1Password extension in the Chrome Web Store?
  • Hi guys,

A very small group of Chrome users reported this specific issue in Chrome 10 stable. One thing in common with those users is that they had Chromium installed as well but now we’re hearing that some Chrome only users are getting the same issue. So, the initial scope of this bug may not be accurate anymore. We’re still investigating into this and unfortunately, I do not have anything new to report on this.
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    MikeT wrote:

Hi guys,

A very small group of Chrome users reported this specific issue in Chrome 10 stable. One thing in common with those users is that they had Chromium installed as well but now we’re hearing that some Chrome only users are getting the same issue. So, the initial scope of this bug may not be accurate anymore. We’re still investigating into this and unfortunately, I do not have anything new to report on this.

Reporting, that there is nothing to report is still a status update assuring us users that you have this on your radar. Thanks for the heads-up :)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for hanging in there. This won't slip through the cracks. :-)
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    Bug has been initially reported in December 2010 and now it's almost April 2011. That makes it a very long time...
  • MikeT
    edited March 2011

Bug has been initially reported in December 2010 and now it's almost April 2011. That makes it a very long time...
    Hi LosInvalidos,

I do apologize about this but we just haven’t been able to narrow it down yet. Right now, i am using Chrome 10 stable and Chrome 11 Beta. No issues there but as soon as I start using Chromium 12 and Chrome 12 Dev, the bug is in there. As you may remember, the bug was in Chromium 11 as well but not in Chrome 11 anymore. So something is different between Dev/Chromium and stable devs.

Our silence on this matter isn’t because we are not doing anything but merely because we do not have anything new to share yet. We are researching into this matter.
  • Hi guys,

We made several major improvements in latest update to Chrome extension, could you let us know if it made any difference to your issues with the master password.You can find out more information about the new update in this blog post: http://blog.agile.ws/1password-mac-new-chrome-extension-beta/

Also, please update your Chrome build to the latest version as some changes in the latest Chrome builds (Dev, Beta, Stable) did fix a few issues with the 1Password extension.

Please let us know, thanks!
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member
    edited April 2011
    Thanks so much for the heads up and working on better Chrome / Chromium support.

Tested with:
    Chromium 12.0.729.0 (80669)
    1Password extension 3.6.0.30930

I see the improvements mentioned in the blog-post but the issue described in this here thread is not fixed for me. It simply persists and nothing has changed. Not to bash the update, just some feedback, that the issue is not fixed for me.

Maybe some Chrome user can chime in and give some feedback if it's fixed for chrome?

And somewhat OT: My log-in on https://wertpapiere.ing-diba.de/DE/ wasn't working before the update. And sadly this situation LAO remains the same after the update. Not sure what the problem is. username and password get filled in but the submitting doesn't seem to work. I end up on the same page having to re-enter user / pw manually. The log-in for this site works in Firefox and Safari using 1P (FYI).

Cheers,
    LI

EDIT: Before you start worrying, I just noticed I completely was too impatient. I didn't do the install and as it seems am not using your beta. Give me some minutes and I'll update hits post.

EDIT 2: False alarm. Your beta download is 3.6.0.3029, so I was even ahead of that. Tested again: same results.
  • Hi LosInvalidos,

That is exactly what we’re looking for, just a quick feedback/update and see if we need to do more. It appears that we still need to investigate more into this. We have an idea where to start looking and we hope to have something soon.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • I started having the problem yesterday where I unlock 1Password and the Chrome extension still locked. Safari extension works fine. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension, resetting the cache but the Chrome extension is locked after unlocking 1P. Any ideas?
  • LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member

I started having the problem yesterday where I unlock 1Password and the Chrome extension still locked. Safari extension works fine. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension, resetting the cache but the Chrome extension is locked after unlocking 1P. Any ideas?

Hi CNDS,

Agile seems to be hunting this but they haven't nailed it yet. This is why this thread has been open for so long. But the latest Chrome / Chromium updates show that there is *something* happening behind the scenes. I guess we have to be more patient for this specific bug to get fixed...
This discussion has been closed.