Using Existing One Time Passwords

Options
rqc
rqc
Community Member
edited May 2015 in Mac

Is there any way to setup one time passwords in 1Password if I already have one time passwords setup? Is the only option to go to that service and setup the one time password all over again and get the QR Code again? If so, this time I'm going to take a picture of the QR code and put it into 1Password so I don't ever have to generate it again to add another device/service.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rqc,

When you scan a QR code for TOTP activation what you're reading in is a URI for TOTP and the key part of it is the secret.

Here's a fabricated URI for a QR code I generated a while ago otpauth://totp/KiwiVM:VEID:146489?secret=5JGEK6V7XVHP3FO4&issuer=KiwiVM

In the end, the vital part, the only part that actually matters is 5JGEK6V7XVHP3FO4, the secret. That's what is used to generate the actual time-based codes. The rest is about the friendly title and who generated the code. If you have a TOTP code in an app and the secret is visible then it can be copied to any other compatible TOTP app. What I would like to point out though is there are a number of OTP systems out there and the one supported by the likes of us and Google Authenticator is just one.

Does that help at all?

• rqc
    rqc
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I've got my existing codes stored in Authy. I'll have to see if I can extract the secrets from it. All my sites work with the Google Authenticator method, so I'm ok there.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rqc,

Unfortunately I believe that isn't easy because Authy don't attempt to help you. It isn't to say it's impossible but at the very least tricky.

I was doing a lot of googling at one point and I stumbled upon this page, How to extract your TOTP secrets from Authy. I've never attempted it and so can't vouch for it. Given what you need to do though, you will probably find it easier to disable TOTP where you're currently using it and simply scan the new QR Code in 1Password when you re-enable it. With the secret stored in 1Password you can add it to the likes of Google Authenticator or Authy but you may find 1Password meets all of your needs :smile:

This discussion has been closed.