Confused how to get data from my 1Password3 to 1Password5 from another device

skimore
skimore
Community Member

Hello, I have an older MacBookPro, an old iPhone 4, and a new iMac. In order to use 1Password on the new iMac I purchased 1Password5. Upon installing I'm hung up one of the first questions of where to get the data from (since I first answered "I've used 1Password before". Once I selected from "another device" (namely, my old MacBookPro) I don't know where to go from there. Both computers are shared on my wireless network. Your webpage that I'm take to when I click "more Information" doesn't help me, really. I don't use the cloud, and don't expect to for my passwords. How do I get to my 1Password on the MacBookPro in order to continue with the install of 1Password5, so that I can "synch" or "update" my current password info to the new iMac?
Thanks

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Does this knowledge base article help?

How do I upgrade from an older version of 1Password for iOS?

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @skimore,

I suspect Stephen_C didn't mean that particular KB page.

If you've only ever used 1Password for Mac on your older MacBook Pro (MBP) then that would mean you should find your 1Password.agilekeychain in the following location, ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/. If you were to copy the 1Password.agilekeychain to your new iMac you could then say you're an existing 1Password user and that your .agilekeychain is on "This Mac". Basically once you have the 1Password.agilekeychain you can follow our Finding existing 1Password data during setup guide.

This will allow you to kick start 1Password 5. The tricky part will be keeping them in sync afterwards if that is a requirement. With 1Password 3 the only non-convoluted route would be Dropbox or similar.

You could mimic this using Folder Sync bit it will be a bit clunky as you'll see. Imagine you want to keep your two vaults and sync and that you've made changes on both Macs that need merged. This is what you'd need to do.

1. On your MBP move the 1Password.agilekeychain from ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/ to a flash drive.
    2. Plug the flash drive into your iMac. Using Folder Sync let 1Password 5 merge the differences into both its own local vault and into the .agilekeychain.
    3. Plug the flash drive back into your MBP and move the 1Password.agilekeychain back into ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/

This is what you would have to do each time you need to sync changes. If you had 1Password 5 in both locations then the 1Password.agilekeychain would live on the flash drive as it's just the sync data, the extra steps here are because 1Password 3 writes directly to 1Password.agilekeychain.

You may have a few questions from all of this. If you do please do ask and we'll do our best to answer :smile:

• skimore
    skimore
    Community Member

Thank you littlebobbytables, that clarified things well. One question though - I was under the impression I can't run 1Password 5 on my MBP. Either way, I understand the syncing method that you are suggesting. Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @skimore,

It might be you can't run 1Password 5 on the older MBP - you're quite right. It all depends on what version of OS X you're currently running and what version the hardware supports. For 1Password 5 you need to be running OS X 10.10 AKA Yosemite. Any Mac running Yosemite can run 1Password 5 and of course a single 1Password 5 licence covers you for as many Macs as you own. Actually it covers you and up to five other family members e.g. partners and kids.

Here's how the versions go

1. 1Password 5 requires OS X 10.10
    2. 1Password 4 requires OS X 10.8 or higher
    3. 1Password 3 requires OS X 10.6 or higher

Just yell (or post :wink:) if you have any more questions :smile:

This discussion has been closed.