Installation problem with 1Password version 3.8.18 (build 31318) [Moved to email]

Options
RChaney
RChaney
Community Member
edited May 2015 in Mac

Have used 1Password for years, using Leopard. (Mac)
Upgraded to Mountain Lion.
Upgraded 1Password to Version 3.8.18, as instructed.
Upgraded Extension to 3.9.20 (for Safari v6) , as instructed.

I see an updated icon in the tool bar with a red-circled "1" hovering over part of it.
I click on the icon, input my usual password, and "Connecting" appears with numbers that would count up to the thousands if I let them. No Connect.

My Troubleshooting:
-Searched through the AgileBits site and the Web for help and info.
-Felt very much let down.
-Searched my computer for all instances of "1Password". Found only this one app. Did not find anything that included "mini" in its name.
-I've spent about two hours dealing with this and hope someone out there can help. AgileBits seems pretty sharp and the web pages are responsive... good coding and planning. I do miss timely and effective customer support. I hope someone can help me soon.

Thank you,
Ralph

Comments

• RChaney
    RChaney
    Community Member
    Options

Me Again...

Turns out I should have been using v.4. (**I hope QA fixes the instructions that pop up when a too old version shows up after OS upgrade. I went from 10.5.8 to 10.8. I followed the text box instructions and ended up with v.3, not 4.)

_But a new problem persists. _ It won't connect to the "mini" software.

I tied everything on this page: https://support.1password.com/error-connect-to-mini/

Details:
    V.4.4.3
    Extension is 4.3.1
    SAFARI V.6
    OS 10.8

App won't launch on it's own, with or without Safari running.
    Did re-boot and reinstall of App, with Safari not running to see if it helped. Text box said could not connect with mini.

Re-boot and fresh reinstalls of both created no success. I trashed all other occurrences of the app on all drives so no conflict.

The page mentions a gearbox as a way to be sure Mini is not running.
    **There is no "gear box" that I can see in Safari v.6 toolbar*** can you tell me where it is?

Any ideas? Help?

Thank you much,
    Ralph

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RChaney,

I'm sorry you're been having trouble with 1Password 3 and 4 on your Mac!

Turns out I should have been using v.4. (**I hope QA fixes the instructions that pop up when a too old version shows up after OS upgrade. I went from 10.5.8 to 10.8. I followed the text box instructions and ended up with v.3, not 4.)

1Password 4 was re-written from the ground up, so it's a separate app from previous versions and therefore doesn't appear when using the option to check for updates in 1Password 3. Once we released 1Password 4, we also released an update for version 3.8.22 which added a notification about version 4 being available to Mountain Lion and Mavericks users. You mentioned you were using 3.8.18, which was released about a year and a half before version 4, and therefore didn't have a way to notify you about that. I'm sorry for any confusion there!

Now, about the problem you're having with version 4:

It won't connect to the "mini" software.

It sounds like you're getting an error saying “1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini”. Does that happen when trying to open the main 1Password app? If so, you should be able to solve it by following these steps:

• Go to the Applications folder and drag 1Password 4.app to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools).
    • Empty the Trash, then reboot your Mac.
    • After the reboot, download a fresh copy of 1Password 4 from the "Legacy" section at the bottom of our download site.
    • Once downloaded, unzip the file if necessary and drag it to the Applications folder.
    • Double-click the new app to open it.

These steps are similar to those you followed in this knowledgebase article, but with a couple minor differences - you'll need to empty the Trash and reboot your Mac before you re-download 1Password 4. So just make sure you follow the above steps in that exact order. Does it work now, or do you still get the same error? Please let us know how it works out for you. If it's still a problem, we'll continue from there.

By the way, to answer your other question:

The page mentions a gearbox as a way to be sure Mini is not running.
    **There is no "gear box" that I can see in Safari v.6 toolbar*** can you tell me where it is?

The gear icon that article refers to is something you would see in 1Password mini if it was running on your Mac. Because of the problem you're running into with the main app, 1Password mini isn't currently running, so you don't need to worry about that step. Sorry again for the confusion!

• RChaney
    RChaney
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you much. Will follow your instructions and reply. Have been contacted directly by support as well.

• RChaney
    RChaney
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,

Followed your steps closely, twice. Still get error re not connecting to 1Password Mini.

What's the next step?

Thank you much.

-R.

• RChaney
    RChaney
    Community Member
    Options

More info... FWIW:

The 1Password
    icon is in the Safari v.6 tool bar. When I click on it two things happen:
    1. Page launches with text about how it's looking for the app.
    2. -Two- messages soon appear with text about not finding Mini and suggesting a restart.

Will send photo

Thanks,.
    Ralph

• RChaney
    RChaney
    Community Member
    Options

My recent install of 1Password is not working -and- I need my passwords now. Is there a way to retrieve them without using the app itself?
    Tech support has responded to my install problem but I'd like to use my info now if possible... kind-of desperate.

Thanks,
    Ralph

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

My recent install of 1Password is not working

If you'd tell us exactly what the symptoms of that are and what version of 1P you have it will be easier to give some suggestions. However...

Tech support has responded to my install problem

Can you also explain whether you mean your own tech support or AgileBits' tech support? If it's the latter we don't want to get wires crossed on here. :)

Stephen

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RChaney,

First I'd like to let you know I've merged two of your threads together here because they're related and we'll be best able to help you if we can see all your questions at once. This way, we're all on the same page (literally).

That being said, I see that you've sent a few different emails to our support email address as well. In order to avoid "getting wires crossed," as Stephen mentioned, it's best we continue the conversation in one place or the other. Let's keep it to email, where we'll be able to discuss your personal license information more privately. Thanks!

ref: FML-54262-986

This discussion has been closed.