creating a log in that asks for specific characters

Lonsdalephotos
Lonsdalephotos
Community Member

Can you point me to a page that explains how to set up character specific passwords. For example if I have an 8 digit password but the site only asks for lets say character 4 - 6 -7. How do I tell 1 password which character pertains to the character number?

Kind regards

Will

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
KB Article: create-multi-page-login

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

Hi @Lonsdalephotos,

At this time, 1Password doesn't support filling in of the 'nth' character of passwords. Our developers are looking into possible ways to handle that, but for now, 1Password won't be able to automatically fill those characters for you. There are some suggestions in this discussion that might be helpful for you.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that! Hopefully we'll be able to improve that in the future. If you have more questions or need anything else, please let us know. :)

ref: OPM-1720

• Lonsdalephotos
    Lonsdalephotos
    Community Member

Dang it, not the answer I was hoping for. However, I do appreciate your speedy response, that's great service. Cheers! :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Lonsdalephotos,

While 1Password doesn't support these natively, hopefully some of the workarounds we (as the users) have come up with may help. What's holding us back is coming up with something that is elegant and reliable. If it's more cumbersome than the homegrown solutions then it serves no purpose. We would like to support this style though (which seems to almost always be financial institutes).

• nimbus
    nimbus
    Community Member
    edited May 2015

This annoyed me too so I created a simple script that enumerates strings by character. It is 100% client side so you can run it from your computer. I'm sure AgileBits will have many reservations about the security of this, but it's a calculated risk for me...

I have it bookmarked in my browser. When I need characters, I copy the password from 1P and then open this bookmark in a new tab. Then paste in the password and click the required characters.

Here's a hosted working demo: https://nimbus.agency/char.html

Ideally, however, you should save this code as a .html file and run it from your computer...

<html></head><title>Character at position</title> <style> body {font-size:150%;font-family:sans-serif;} input {padding:8px;} li span {display:block;font-size:80%;margin:0;padding:0 10px;text-align:center;background-color:#ccc;color:#555;cursor:s-resize;} li {padding:0;border:1px solid #999;margin:4px;display:inline-block;text-align:center;color:#fff;font-family:monospace;} #inst {display:none;} </style> <script> function spanClick() { this.parentNode.style.color="#444"; } function enumerate(strInput){ var str=strInput.value; var inst=document.getElementById("inst"); inst.style.display="none"; if(str.length>0){ inst.style.display="block"; } var charNoList=document.getElementById("charNo"); while (charNoList.hasChildNodes()) { charNoList.removeChild(charNoList.firstChild); } for(i=1;i<=str.length;i++){ var char=str.charAt(i-1); var span=document.createElement("span"); span.addEventListener("click",spanClick); var countNode=document.createTextNode(i); span.appendChild(countNode); var node=document.createElement("li"); var textnode=document.createTextNode(char); node.appendChild(span); node.appendChild(textnode); charNoList.appendChild(node); } } </script> </head><body> Enter/paste Password: <input type="password" id="str" onkeyup="enumerate(this);" onmouseup="enumerate(this);" onmouseout="enumerate(this);" oninput="enumerate(this);" /> <div id="inst">Click the characters required: <ol id="charNo"></ol> </div> </body></html>

For added security, I suppose you could open the script in a totally different browser. I'm not sure how much additional security this will afford you once the whole password is on the clipboard.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nimbus,

Obviously we can't endorse such an approach to the user base at large but I admire your ingenuity and if it works for you...

Supplying the source also means anybody can inspect it and see exactly what it does (which is good) but what we really need to do is come up with something in 1Password that means you don't feel compelled to come up with such a solution.

• nimbus
    nimbus
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables - 100% agree - a native 1P solution would be ideal. I'm looking forward to it arriving :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Ideally it would allow something along the lines of: we can pick a sequence and it will reliably fill in either boxes or pick from menus. The problem is for the developers to figure out how possible that is (I don't envy them).

• Matthewn
    Matthewn
    Community Member

Hi There,

Currently the workflow for entering specific characters from a password on most banking sites is extremly cumbersome. That is when the site prompts you to enter the 2nd, 4th, and 5th characters from your password. I would love to see this automated as it's the biggest issue I have with 1p to date.

I can see there's been some discussion about this previoulsy (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/24886/how-to-enter-random-characters-from-password, https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/105378#Comment_105378) however both these topics appear closed.

It looked like you guys were considering this feature, is it still on the roadmap?

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Matthewn,

I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your message into another recent discussion about the same thing. As you can see from previous posts in this thread, our developers are looking into this, but it's a lot more difficult than it may seem. We never say never, but I don't have any sort of timeframe for when (or if) we'll be able to include a feature for that.

Another user in this discussion created a script that might be helpful, but it's not something we've tested, and we can't officially endorse it.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you! Hopefully we'll be able to come up with a better way to handle this in the future. If you have more questions, please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.