When the text size of a secure note is bigger than about 2300 signs the attachments are not shown.

Options
peterter
peterter
Community Member

I have a large note with with attachments in 1Password on my Mac.
After syncing with my iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3 the complete note text appears, but not the attachments.
When I edit the note on my iPhone till the note text is reduced till about less than 2300 signs, the complete note text and the attachments are shown.
Is this a bug?

1Password Version: 5.4.beta 11
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.10.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @peterter,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I've moved your post into the beta forums, since we are discussing a beta version of 1Password. I would appreciate it if you could clarify things for me so I can better test this:

• Is the 1Password version you mention for Mac or iOS? (I'm guessing Mac, but I just want to be sure)
    • What version of 1Password are you using on your iOS device?
    • When you mention 2300 signs, are you referring to characters or words or lines?

Thanks for your help in tracking this down. :)

• peterter
    peterter
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,
    The problem is in 1Password on iOS, where I use a regular version 5.4.2.
    The record I have the problem with was created on my Mac, some time ago and synced with Dropbox to my iPhone.
    When I looked up the record a week ago on my iPhone, and found that the attachments were missing, I started some research.
    On my Mac the record was normal, with the attachments present.
    On my IPhone the attachments were missing.
    Because the record had a large amount of text, I edited the record on my iPhone, withhout syncing with the Mac.
    I started with removing the note text, and the attachments were shown.
    I edited the record with a bit of text in the note, and the attachments were still shown.
    After adding more than 2300 characters (sorry, but English is not my native language) the attachments were not show anymore. After diminishing the number of characters, the attachments were shown again.
    In my opinion this is a bug in 1Password for iOS and has nothimg to do with 1Password on the Mac, or with Dropbox syncing.
    I can reproduce this phenomenon on the iPhone without even using 1Password on a Mac.
    I hope this is clear to you now and helps you correct this bug.

• cjbulow
    cjbulow
    Community Member
    Options

This may well be true > "sorry, but English is not my native language" -- but in my view, that was a great bug report.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @peterter,

As cjbulow said:

This may well be true > "sorry, but English is not my native language" -- but in my view, that was a great bug report.

Thank you for those specific details! :+1:

Here's what I think might be happening:

If you scroll inside a longer notes field while scrolling item details, downwards scrolling can stop before details under the notes are displayed (where attachments will be). And upwards scrolling can stop before details above the notes are displayed. When that happens, you can display the rest of the details by starting to scroll again from the shaded areas outside (above or below) the notes:

Tap-scrolling from the empty areas on both sides of the notes text will also work and might be an easier tap target. :)

Does that explain and help to fix the behaviour you're having?

• peterter
    peterter
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    It's completely clear now and it works.

Thanks

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @peterter.

Great to hear it's now completely clear. :)

We're looking at ways to improve scrolling with notes to avoid issues like this. Thanks again for your helpful report!

ref: OPI-2682

This discussion has been closed.