feature-request: sort favorites alphabetically

Thomas_U
Thomas_U
Community Member
edited May 2015 in Mac

would make lookup easier for me than the present least-/most-favorite sorting.

_1Password Version: 5.4.BETA-16 (540016)
_Extension Version: 4.3.1
_OS Version: 10.10.3
_Sync Type: wifi

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Thomas_U,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about that! We have an open feature request to sort Favorites alphabetically, and I'll be happy to add your request.

For now, you should be able to manually arrange them in alphabetical order in the main 1Password app by selecting Favorites in the left side bar, then dragging the items to the order you want.

If you need anything else, please let us know! :)

ref: OPM-1786

• Thomas_U
    Thomas_U
    Community Member

Thanks! The tip "manual sorting" helped for now.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear that, @Thomas_U! Thanks for the update. :)

• frec9_piet_ac_orr_yk
    frec9_piet_ac_orr_yk
    Community Member

@Drew_AG, I am recently new to 1Password and very pleased and impressed with the product, blogs, and the fluid/thought-thru and kind communications from, and, between: CEO, Team Members and end users.

I have done due diligence searching many 'sorting' threads, but still cannot seem to find one that specifically addresses my situation with regard to 'Favorites' (forgive me if I am indeed rehashing something that has been addressed, ad nauseam, and thus I have overlooked the answer).

Ordering my thought process:
    (1) I created my 1Password 'titles' by concatenating 'folder name path' (complete with backward slashes) and the 1Password normal definition of 'title'. For me, this makes it simpler when I (rarely, but safely as possible with various measures that I take) will extract/import CSV file into spreadsheet with high level sort field being the concatenated 'title', and more importantly making end result more compact via minimizing sheet width and number of pages. Plus, I consistently see my items look the same way (the folder name always being the front end of the Title), whether in main app, mini, in spreadsheet, on paper.
    (2) Related to 1Password main app, 'Favorites' has 'title' search option, so that's easy enough if I happen (rarely) to be using the main app.
    (3) Related to 1Password mini (which I use 99% of the time), the 'Favorites' (as far as I have been able to detect, although I may be missing something) adds sequentially, but sorting does not seem to be available (based on my limited knowledge). Nor have I been able to manually change the order. I use 'mini' constantly, and it is quite a chore to visually look through 17 'Favorites' each time (maybe I should not use so many favorites, but this is what works best for me, apart from them not being sorted).
    (4) So, I am asking if the ability to sort mini 'Favorites' by Title might at some point be considered as a feature, if reasonably feasible?

Regards.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @frec9_piet_ac_orr_yk,

In regards to 3. You should be able to alter the order of your favourites from the main 1Password window. If I have Favourites selected in the Sidebar I can drag the items in the Item List pane and the order sticks. It shows the same not just in 1Password mini but also in 1Password for iOS as I sync my vaults across. It should behave like other programs where you can see a small blue line that represents it's new place in the order. If that doesn't happen for you can you let us know what version of 1Password for Mac you're running please, you can find that using the steps detailed in Which version of 1Password am I running?.

As for your question in 4. We will certainly consider the request but I can't make any promises on any potential timeframe. I will certainly add your feelings to the request though as popularity is one of the factors we try to account for.

Certainly I'd like to make sure you can at least alter the ordering of your favourite items though given that is a piece of functionality that is present.

• frec9_piet_ac_orr_yk
    frec9_piet_ac_orr_yk
    Community Member

Much appreciated @littlebobbytables. Your workaround to 3 solved my issue, and future item 'Fav' insertion(s) would be easy once the foundational folder/title 'system' is finalized and populated (which mine is).

If a new feature to enable sorting 'Favorites' did not ever have enough customer interest to warrant dedicating resources, I'm perfectly happy with the existing functionality. The end result is what counts, and it was quite painless :)

Although (to my way of thinking) it seems that it would be confusing to people (especially as we customers more fully realize the robust main app sort options and advantages) that they cannot sort Favorites (in the same seamless manner as the other categories and items, though I realize that Favs are not separate items, per se, resulting in a non-trivial solution), as quickly revealed (even to a 1Password newbie like myself) in the mini Favs list.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @frec9_piet_ac_orr_yk,

I can't offer an explanation there I'm afraid. It might be that the manual ordering made adding other options tricky but you're right, in terms of consistency it wouldn't seem unreasonable to see the same options that seem to be in every other Sidebar view. It reminds me of a request I made for somebody not that long ago in the iOS side. We use a certain view on many of the screens but not with tags and folders and I had to agree with the person, it seemed an odd choice not to have a consistent interface.

Posts like this help us move steadily forward to a better product :smile:

This discussion has been closed.