Update hangs @ regsvr32

iMave.23
iMave.23
Community Member
edited February 2011 in 1Password 4 for Windows
On my Windows 7 PC 1Password worked for months with no problem. But last week after a crash of the Internet Explorer I was not able to use the IE Plugin any more. When I started the Internet Explorer it hung.

I did a reset of the Internet Explorer settings and it started to work, but due to my reset all plugins where removed.

So I went on and reinstalled 1Password which now always hangs at the end of the installation. With the ProcessExplorer I found out that the registration of the Agile1pIE.dll with a regsvr32 call always blocks.

1Password itself works with no problems, but I'm not able to use the Internet Explorer Plugin anymore.

What can be the reason for the regsvr32 Agile1pIE.dll to hang?

Regards
Marcus

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2011
    Marcus, welcome to the forum!

It might be best to "start fresh." Please try this:
    1. Quit all web browsers.
    2. In 1Password, click the Preferences tool.
    3. On the Browsers tab, disable browser extensions.
    4. Quit 1Password.
    5. Launch Internet Explorer.
    6. Choose Tools > Manage Add-Ons.
    7. Disable both the 1Password and 1Password Ctrl+\ items.
    8. Quit Internet Explorer.
    9. From the Windows "start" menu, choose 1Password > Uninstall 1Password.
    10. After 1Password is uninstalled, download (http://agile.ws/downloads) and install the latest version of 1Password.
    11. Launch 1Password.
    12. On the Browsers tab of 1Password preferences, re-enable extensions, and make sure the Internet Explorer extension is selected.
    13. Launch Internet Explorer.

Please let us know whether that helps, Marcus.
  • iMave.23
    iMave.23
    Community Member
    edited February 2011
    Hi DBrown,

OK I repeated all the steps and everything worked as it should until step 10.

The setup started and the progress went till 100% - and there it remains. Setup at this point never ends.

Looking into the Process Explorer I see that the Process "1Password-1.0.3.165.exe" called regsrv32.exe:

Path:
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe

Command Line:
    "C:\Windows\system32\regsvr32.exe" /s "C:\Program Files (x86)\1Password\Agile1pIE.dll"

Current directory:
    C:\Windows\System32\

I ran this system for months and did various updates of 1Password and no trouble so far.

Maybe my system is somehow damaged, but at first glance everything else works fine and before I try to set
    up my system from scratch I want to be sure that Agile1pIE.dll is not the reason for this strange behavior.

If it helps I can make a process dump...

UPDATE:

I did a break into the regsvr32 in VS2010 and I see 3 threads with the following calls:

MainThread: _NtDelayExecution
    WorkerThread: _NtWaitForMultipleObjects
    WorkerThread: _ZwWaitForSingleObject

The MainThread periodically calls _NtDelayExecution whereas the other two threads seem to be blocked.

Maybe there is a critical section or any other sync in the DllMain of the Agile1pIE.dll that may cause a deadlock under certain circumstances?

Regards
    Marcus
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for that information, Markus.

This is over my head, so I'll ask the developer to look into it.

Meanwhile, you might try the installation from a Windows account with full administrator privileges, if you haven't already.

Thanks for your patience...
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Have you tried to repair your system? Please do this from the command-line: SFC /SCANNOW
  • iMave.23
    iMave.23
    Community Member
    edited February 2011
    Yes, I already found this advice in the forum and tried it on my system 2 days ago with no result.
    Problem remained.
  • iMave.23
    iMave.23
    Community Member
    Hi DBrown & Stefan van As,

when starting 1Password today, I was notified that a new version (1.0.4.172) was available.

I started it, the setup ran through and - guess what - finished successful!

Internet Explorer plugin works again.

Thank you very much for the fast update!

Best Regards
    Marcus
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    That's good new, Marcus! Thanks for updating the thread.
This discussion has been closed.