Synchronize 1Password4 and 1Password5 via Dropbox?

Options
zabouti
zabouti
Community Member

Synchronize 1Password4 and 1Password5 via Dropbox?

I let the Apple Store genius bar guy convince me to upgrade to Yosemite.

I couldn't get 1Password4 to run. I figured that I should pay the steep upgrade price for 1Password5. I bought the upgrade license from Agilebits and then downloaded the app from their website.

When I tried to get it to open the 1Password4 keychain on my dropbox, it failed.

So I made a new vault that is pretty useless since it has no data in it.

I still have 1Password4 running on another Mac. Up to now the two computers have happily shared their 1Password4 data via Dropbox.

Now I'm stuck and frustrated that I can't send email to support any more (as far as I can tell).

I sure hope someone here can tell me how to synchronize 1Password4 and 1Password5 via Dropbox.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I couldn't get 1Password4 to run. I figured that I should pay the steep upgrade price for 1Password5.

The first point to make is that there's something odd about that comment. The upgrade from 1P4 to 1P5 is, and was, free: there is no charge for it. The upgrade from 1P3 to 1P4 was not free but 1P4 had a bug which meant it sometimes did not complain about the lack of a licence. Did you once run 1P3 and perhaps not pay for the upgrade to 1P4?

The other point I ought to make (which won't be much consolation to you, I accept) is that 1P4 will run perfectly well on OS X Yosemite. It's just that 1P5 is specifically tailored for OS X Yosemite so, generally speaking, is a better experience on OS X Yosemite than is 1P4.

I know this isn't a very helpful reply because it doesn't directly address the problem you're having with Dropbox but I thought it worth trying to explain the other two issues. There's no reason why 1P4 and 1P5 shouldn't sync their data via Dropbox so you can rest assured in that regard. There is a useful and extensive knowledge base article which may help you:

Dropbox sync is not working

If it doesn't help please post again (this is the quickest way to obtain support) and someone more expert than I am about Dropbox sync will certainly help you.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @zabouti,

We constantly monitor the forums so it isn't like some places where you're talking to just other users. We make a point of ensuring we've visited every thread and responded, even if it's only to say that another post is spot on. If you wish we can switch to email but you are talking to members of the AgileBits team here.

I did try to check out records and I suspect Stephen_C might be correct with his assessment of 1Password 4/5. I found an upgrade from 1Password 3 to 1Password 5 but if you've previously upgraded to 1Password 4 in the past I haven't located it just yet. There's a number of reasons why that might be the case though so I'm certainly not going to say you haven't, merely I haven't located one as of yet. As Stephen_C says, moving from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4 was a paid upgrade while anybody with a valid licence for 1Password 4 can update to 1Password 5 for free. The gotcha in there was a bug in 1Password 4 where it was very quiet about letting the user know it was running in trial mode and wasn't actually licensed. That's our fault of course, we can hardly expect our users to know if we don't inform you.

We do seem to have a couple of issues here though as Stephen_C notes. 1Password 4 runs on Yosemite, in fact I specifically keep a copy for troubleshooting purposes and the .agilekeychain format hasn't changed since 1Password 3 for compatibility reasons so it should work - we even have customers still syncing 1Password 3 and 1Password 5.

As your vault is empty I would recommend following our How do I start over with an empty vault? guide to start with. This will reset 1Password so it believes it hasn't been run before. As a Agile Web Store (AWS) user you will want to follow the If you use the version of 1Password from the AgileBits Store section and this is just on the Yosemite machine. After that it should really find your .agilekeychain on startup. If it doesn't though then this guide should help initialise 1Password 5 using your .agilekeychain, Finding existing 1Password data during setup.

If this doesn't work it might be the .agilekeychain is damaged but don't worry, both 1Password 4 and 5 store their vault locally and the .agilekeychain is merely a sync container which can be safely removed and recreated if need be.

So if starting over still doesn't work please do let us know and we can guide you through creating a new .agilekeychain which should then work.

• zabouti
    zabouti
    Community Member
    Options

1Password5

Thank you for your responses.

As you point out, it is difficult to keep track of licenses, purchases, etc. I usually need support, upgrades, etc., at times when I don't have a lot of time for good record-keeping. And you may have had some problem tracking me because I have used two email addresses, just to make things easier. ;-)

I do know that I first bought 1Password from MacGems back in 2007. I have had licenses from 1Password2 through 1Password5, which I bought yesterday. I have paid for 1Password at least three times although I have a vague memory of support giving me a license for 1Password4 because I was having a lot of trouble paying for it.

You say that the upgrade from 1P4 to 1P5 is, and was, free. My confusion may stem from looking both at your website and the App Store; the latter says it would cost me $49. My bad: I paid the upgrade price. Agilebits lucked out!

Anyway, here's my current situation:

1. I have an older installation of 1Password4 on my MacBook Air.

It uses the agile keychain and had been syncing beautifully with 1Password4 on the Mini before the upgrade.

2. I have a new installation of Yosemite on my Mac Mini.

It has 1Password5, but it seems unable to read or use my existing agile keychain in Dropbox (/Users/ge/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain); if it sees it at all, it's grayed out.

However, I did follow Stephen's suggestion and installed 1Password4, and it works! (When I posted yesterday, I think I had tried running a version from backup or something and it didn't work.) Today I found an installer, and that worked beautifully.

But it would be nice to use 1Password5 on my Mini

The problem is that 1Password5 on my Mini will not sync with 1Password4 on my MBA.

Note: This is not critical. Do not spend too much time trying to solve this problem.

I would like some way to get 1Password5 to see the agile keychain. I've tried telling 1Password5 to use the old agile keychain but I can't even get it to look for one - creating a new vault doesn't work. I would like to do this without starting over.

I read littlebobbytables' advice about starting over. That will take a fair amount of time and I've already spent too much of it on this issue. I also am skeptical that it will work because the first time I ran 1Password5 it did not detect older data the way it is supposed to:

In most cases, you’ll now be prompted to create a new vault. If 1Password detects data from an older version of 1Password, that data will be imported and you’ll be asked for your Master Password.

This did not happen for me. Where is this older data supposed to be? It was certainly not on my Mini, which had been wiped by the Apple Genius. Is 1Password5 supposed to see the agile keychain on Dropbox? I'm almost sure it refused to open it, graying it out. If you think that starting over from scratch will help, littlebobbytables, let me know and I'll give it another chance.

(It's possible that Dropbox had not fully downloaded the agile keychain at the time, but I did see it - greyed out - from 1Password5's dialog box. At this point, I can't get 1Password5 to even look for the agile keychain.)

I will eventually upgrade my MBA.

I imagine that I could bite the bullet and upgrade the MBA to Yosemite and 1Password5, but I don't have time for that this week. I'll try that in the future and hope that I'll be able to use 1Password5 on both machines.

Feeling supported

Ever since 2007 I have had excellent support for 1Password although it would be nice to have someone to call since I usually need support quickly. Your replies have been very helpful.

Change "Support Forum" to "Support"?

Maybe grumpy old people like me would feel better if you simply removed the word Forum from the support pages and called it Support to make clear that it's not just a bunch of people desperately trying to figure stuff out without help, which is what forums too often are.

Thanks for your help. I look forward to your answers.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @zabouti,

Thank you for your suggestion regarding the choice of words. If that's an area where a change could lead to a better understanding of what these forums represent i.e. active involvement by us the it's certainly something we'll consider. You're right, it's no fun if a forum is only other people doing their best to help each other if what is really needed is involvement from the company. I haven't been active as much recently but I do remember often seeing the same response in Apple's forums where the more veteran forum users would point out to somebody (who was clearly frustrated) that they weren't addressing Apple.

Now back to your situation.

This gets a bit more confusing. You see 1Password 4 & 5 share the same support file location, specifically ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ for the Agile Web Store (AWS) version of 1Password for Mac. What this means is if you have been running 1Password 4 you should be able to simply delete it, and when you move the 1Password 5 application into your /Applications/ folder it should be a seamless transition because everything is already where it should be.

Now I know from my troubleshooting machine you don't want to jump backwards and forwards repeatedly as there is some small difference but if you're going from 1Password 4 to 1Password 5 then it really should be as simple as dragging the 1Password 4 application to your Trash, download 1Password 5 from our AgileBits Download page and launching 1Password 5 once you've moved it into your /Applications/ folder. If you're happy to try this I would certainly be interested to know how it goes.

If 1Password 4 is working then starting over will achieve nothing and you can ignore that suggestion. That would have been more applicable if we needed to remove an empty vault that was in the way. It's odd though, 1Password 5 should check the Dropbox path if you've installed it so I don't know why it has greyed it out as an option. I assume you were selecting the 1Password.agilekeychain and the button simply didn't enable - very odd.

Lastly, it might be worth emailing us with a list of your email addresses and sending that list to support+licenses@agilebits.com with a link to this thread. Ideally we want to merge all of your transactions together and if we can find a valid 1Password 4 licence, meaning your new purchase wasn't required, we will refund you. We're grateful for every person that deems 1Password useful enough to pay for it - we definitely don't expect you to pay twice for the same product (the bold is just to cover anybody else reading this thread, moving from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4/5 is still a paid upgrade as they're different versions).

Of course if you're still having trouble and you want to take this to email we can, but if you don't mind the forums we can help you here too.

• zabouti
    zabouti
    Community Member
    Options

lbt, things are a bit crazy, but I will reply to your generous and helpful message.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi @zabouti,

These sorts of things need to be at your schedule and a moment when you have time to absorb and review so take your time. Our forums and our good selves aren't going anyway and this will thread will remain until you're satisfied that we've worked through everything :smile:

(I've seen threads on occasion where the replies were a month or two apart, sometimes life gets hectic :wink:)

ref: SFI-26793-287

• zabouti
    zabouti
    Community Member
    Options

Just a note: I found a 1Password license with a note saying that it wasn't upgradable. I think that was what I used for 1P4, but I'm not sure. I took your suggestion and send an email to license support, but I think that someone at agilebits gave me the license due to some past trouble/confusion.

Now I'm going to try to sync my 4 devices: Mac / Yosemite, Mac / Mavericks, iOS and Android. Wish me luck! I'll be back.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @zabouti ,

I see that Laura is already helping you sort out this license issue via email - if you don't have an email from our team in your inbox, please let me know so that I can have it re-sent.

I do hope that syncing between all your devices is going smoothly, but you know where to find us if you have any questions! :)

• zabouti
    zabouti
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Megan (and littlebobbytables),

I figured things out, but here's a summary of my problem for your reading enjoyment:

It all started because I didn't understand that 1P5 could use the same keychain as 1P4, and I exported a PIF file from 1P4 and imported it into 1P5, creating a new keychain:

_/Users/ge/Dropbox/1Password/1Password5/1Password.agilekeychain_

On my other Mac, I continued to use the old 1P4 keychain:

_/Users/ge/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain_

At this point they were obviously not in sync.

After reading littlebobbytables' guide above, I went to my Mavericks Mac, disabled sync (scary!), and reconnected it to:

_/Users/ge/Dropbox/1Password/1Password5/1Password.agilekeychain_

That worked!

I did the same thing on my iPad, and it also now syncs.

But I can't figure out how to do it on my Android phone!!??

The Android app lets me turn sync off, but when I turn it back on, it does not give me any way to select an agilekeychain!!?? It simply works for awhile and then finds the old one.

Okay, littlebobbytables, I know what you're going to say: move

_/Users/ge/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain_

to

_/Users/ge/Dropbox/1Password-bu/1Password.agilekeychain_ (a different folder)

and wait, wait, wait for Dropbox to complete the move online. Finally got tired and used a browser to make the move online.

Then had to wait for the change to show up in Dropbox App on my Android phone.....

It showed up finally.

1Pwd on Android finally notices that it's DB folder is gone....

Here's the error I see: "Dropbox: Vault not found."

It goes on to claim that "When you configure Dropbox sync in 1Password, you tell it where to find or store your vault 1Password/1Password.agilekeychain...."

This, of course, is precisely the problem. It says I can do this by locating "1Password/1Password.agilekeychain in your Dropbox folder and reset 1Password. The reason for this is that currently, once you have chosen your data folder when you set up 1Password, there is no way to change this setting."

Uh Oh!

Okay -- I decided to read carefully for a change. ...Forced 1Password to stop and cleared all data from Android settings.

Wow! It seems to be working....

Wow! It now syncs: I can edit on Android now and see the changes on my Macs.

Not only that, but the annoying messages telling me to get Premium have gone away. Sweet!

Holy Cowbubbles!! This has been an adventure!

That leaves me with only one thing to whine about: I still think you should change the title "Support Forum" to "Support" so that us old guys aren't so confused trying to get support .... ;-)

Thanks for your help. I think you can close this case.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

That's great news, I'm really happy to hear things are all working correctly for you now! :) Thanks for following up to let us know how it all worked out.

That leaves me with only one thing to whine about: I still think you should change the title "Support Forum" to "Support" so that us old guys aren't so confused trying to get support .... ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion! I can certainly pass that along to others here, although at the risk of stating the obvious, this is in fact an internet forum where you can get support for 1Password, so I think the term "support forum" kind of makes perfect sense. ;) Also, we do have other forms of support, such as email and Twitter - and I've even seen some of us helping users in blog comments and other websites! So it would be confusing to use the word "Support" to refer only to our forum.

It sounds like other internet forums have left you with a bad impression, and that's unfortunate. I think forums can be an extremely useful means of support, and I sincerely hope we can help change what you think of when you see that word.

Since this particular issue is resolved, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support+forum@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

ref: SFI-26793-287

This discussion has been closed.