Access attachments when abroad without personal devices?

Options
sdfsd
sdfsd
Community Member

Hello,

I have been a Lastpass premium user for years. I have been trying out the Mac and Android phone app for 1password recently because the Mac app seems much better than Lastpass. I have been the Dropbox sync method with 1password and like it a lot.

My main hesitation in entirely switching over to 1password is the following realistic scenario:

I store scanned copies of my passport, driver's license etc in these services. If I am abroad without access to my electronic devices and lose my passport, I would like to be able to download and access/print copies of my PDFs. With Lastpass, I can log in online from anywhere and download my documents.

With 1 password, Is there any equivalent way of accessing my data in an emergency if I lose or do not posses my personal devices? 1password-anywhere does not seem to retrieve any attachments and does not display many of my secure note fields.

In summary, is there any way to get all my data stored in 1password without a personal device? Any way to decrypt the data files in the dropbox folder?

Ron

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• sdfsd
    sdfsd
    Community Member
    Options

Is there really no way to access 1password attachments and all fields of a secure note without a personal device?

sorry for bumping this up.. anxious to make a decision while 1password is selling for its discounted price.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I can't speak officially for AgileBits, since I am just a community forum volunteer, but I don't think you'll be able to access your attachments if you don't have at least a mobile device. You could make your attachments and place them separately in a file in Dropbox, which you could password protect and access anywhere you have web access to Dropbox. You would, of course, need to know your Dropbox password, but there is good reason to make that memorable anyway, along with a couple of other password, especially your main email account, and probably your AppleID.

I hope you'll get an officials response soon.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sdfsd,

Thanks so much for considering 1Password for keeping your data secure and organized. Unfortunately, I don't have a perfect answer for you here. 1Password is an app, as opposed to a service, so in general, you do require the app to access your database. There is a handy feature available for users who sync via Dropbox called 1PasswordAnywhere, but this feature is read-only and does not include attachments. (It was designed for 1Password 3 and needs a bit of a facelift to include all of the awesomeness that we've built into 1Password 4 and 5.) I can't speak much to our future plans for 1PasswordAnywhere (mostly because we make it a point not to discuss unreleased features), but we do know that a lot of users find it useful to have device-free access to their database.

Currently, 1Password does have Passport and Drivers License categories that can store your important data for you, and in the case that you did lose your device, you could view these details at least. Hawkmoth's suggestion is another alternative.

I know it's not quite the answer that you were looking for, but I hope it helps! Please let me know if I can answer any further questions for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.