Diceware passwords in other languages

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Diceware

Diceware is a method for creating passphrases, passwords, and other cryptographic variables using an ordinary die from a pair of dice as a hardware random number generator. For each word in the passphrase, five rolls of the dice are required. The numbers from 1 to 6 that come up in the rolls are assembled as a five digit number, e.g. 43146. That number is then used to look up a word in a word list. In the English list 43146 corresponds to munch. Lists have been compiled for several languages, including English, Finnish, German, Italian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Spanish and Swedish.

I'd rather have the passwords generated in my native language, they will be easier to remember. If those word lists are available, can 1Password use them? I imagine it would be based on language setting of the app, so if I'm using 1P in one of those languages, it will use the same language to generate diceware passwords (as long as a word list is available for that language).

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@DarkStar Good suggestion! I have added this to version 4.1.0.BETA-546

• WashFL
    WashFL
    Community Member

having being hacked and trying to make it harder for people to do it again, I would prefer a series of words in different languages based on the keyboard you have . So I use an English keyboard generate 11 words with a hyphen and use multiple languages (at least 6 or I will pick 6)... I want to make it harder for them to guess it but yes, it will require me to leave said password in 1password and hope it NEVER fails or else i'm toasted... hahaha

• MikeT
    edited May 2015

Hi @WashFL,

The point of Diceware is to make it memorable for people who need it, it does not make it stronger than an identical-length of random characters. Intermixing languages would not make it memorable for people who are not aware of the other languages involved.

If you want to make it harder, you should use the random option, not Diceware.

• DarkStar
    DarkStar
    Community Member
    edited May 2015

I have added this to version 4.1.0.BETA-546

@svondutch It's 4.5.0.574 now. ;) Are you still working on it, guys? It would be great to see diceware passwords in Polish. Wikipedia (as far as we can trust it) says there's a list already for that language (and a few others).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DarkStar: Indeed! While we added Dutch and German DiceWare wordlists in build 546, we still have a ways to go. Thanks for the nudge! :)

ref: OPW-441-448

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DarkStar: Oddly enough, after verifying that the localized DiceWare files were in place for each localization (all except for Czech, as one does not appear to be available), they are showing up for me correctly in the app when generating a new password.

Please verify this for the Polish translation for me if you can. Just note that only the top DiceWare option is localized. This is made confusing by the fact that it currently is translated directly as "(7776 krótkich slów angielskich)" when it should obviously be "(n krótkich slów polskie)" instead.

• DarkStar
    DarkStar
    Community Member

@brenty Ah! It works. :) I never tried because of that label. By default the second radio is checked which generates English words only and the label for the first radio says those will be English words as well, so I never even clicked it. I confirm it works. Instead of angielskich it should say polskich. It sounds a bit awkward, though, probably n krótkich polskich słów would be better (different word order).

• Hi @DarkStar,

Thanks, we'll fix that in a future update.

This discussion has been closed.