restoring valut from a carbonite backup

lprgcfrank
lprgcfrank
Community Member

I have my valut backed up on dropbox and backed up again on carbonite. I have a master password issue and want to restore to my previous password. What files do I need to restore to get my old password back.

1Password Version: 5.4.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Hi @lprgcfrank,

The folder that would need to be restored would be called either 1Password.agilekeychain or 1Password.opvault.

Thanks!

• lprgcfrank
    lprgcfrank
    Community Member

Thanks - I restored the folder but now I get this error " The 1password.agilekeychain file cannot be found in Dropbox. Syncing has been disables. 1Password has encountered a problem."

• lprgcfrank
    lprgcfrank
    Community Member

It appears that I had a conflicted file from Dropbox backups. I'm moving to icloud backup to eliminate this problem.

• Hi @lprgcfrank,

It appears that I had a conflicted file from Dropbox backups. I'm moving to icloud backup to eliminate this problem.

I'm not entirely sure I follow. You've resolved the problem by switching from Dropbox syncing to iCloud syncing?

Please let me know if that is the case and if we can be of further assistance.

Thanks!

Ben

• lprgcfrank
    lprgcfrank
    Community Member

After restoring the file, I noticed that there was a conflicted copy of the agile keys file on dropbox.
    Sicne I have 2 iphones, I deleted and reinstalled 1password on 1 iphone
    I noticed that the password that should have worked, worked on the phone with the reinstalled app.
    I then deleted the folder from dropbox.
    After dropbox sync deleted the folder, the password that should have worked worked on my other phone with all of my data.
    I then switched the sync to icloud and created a backup and the second phone sync'd normally

I think what caused the problem was my changing the master password and not letting the change sync through dropbox to my other device - I had to use my old master password to access teh second device and my theory is that is how the conflict was created.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lprgcfrank: Please note that if you make a sweeping change like replacing the entire vault on one device, you'll need to let the others know what's going on! It sounds like your iPhones were (understandably) looking for the vault you deleted in Dropbox, since they had been syncing with it themselves. I'm sorry for the confusion.

I think what caused the problem was my changing the master password and not letting the change sync through dropbox to my other device - I had to use my old master password to access teh second device and my theory is that is how the conflict was created.

When you change your Master Password, none of your other devices know this until they sync again, which requires unlocking them with the 'old' (current) Master Password first. After unlocking and syncing, they will be updated, and you can then use the new, changed Master Password there as well. I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.