Using Dropbox-synced data: encrypted? safe? [yes, yes]

lock
lock
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi guys, I'm a loyal 1p customer since beginning and I've recently switched to WP.
Since it's not possible (yet) to create new records in the app, is it safe to import my real db from dropbox?
I mean, importing and disconnect from dropbox, so any bug shouldn't have impact to my good data.
But, since I don't know how far is the development, I want to be sure the db are correctly encripted so I can be confident my data wont be spread across the device should the app explode. :)

Thank,
Lock

1Password Version: wp alpha
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: WP 8.1 update 1
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

@lock, thanks so much for your interest in 1Password for Windows Modern!

We believe it's safe to use your data in the new app, especially while it's still "read-only." :)

I don't know what the app "exploding" would look like, but I can't imagine any way for your data, which is contained only within the app itself, to be "spread across the device. On the Windows Phone 8.1 operating system, removing an app removes all its data, as well.

The OPVault format provides our strongest encryption, so that shouldn't be a concern to you.

As for "importing and disconnect[ing] from Dropbox," that's just a step in the process of converting your 1Password for Mac data to the OPVault format. The process described in this section of the forum post includes re-enabling Dropbox sync; otherwise, 1Password for Mac wouldn't create the new OPVault, and you wouldn't have it in your Dropbox account to select in 1Password for Windows Modern.

Be sure to follow those instructions, and you should be fine.

I hope that helps, @lock. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• lock
    lock
    Community Member
    edited May 2015

Eh eh, I was just joking about explosions. I was simply asking if there was risk to get spoiled data on my other devices (Mac & iOS). :)
    Good to know it's read only at this point.
    Going to read the post, thanks.

Have a nice day,
    Lock

P.S. Window Modern? ;)
    P.P.S. Oh, got it, didn't know about new UI name. :)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Well, the fact that you can't yet create or edit items makes it read-only, for now. That'll change in a future release.

This discussion has been closed.