A simpler password generator???

Options
glawster11
glawster11
Community Member

Hi there,
I would love an alternative password generator that could produce simpler (less secure), readable passwords such as cr@ftyCabinet83. I use 1password to ensure that all my passwords are different, but I hate the random character/number passwords created by the generator as they are so hard to copy from my phone to the computer I am working on (at work so 1Password isn't installed).
I would like passwords like those generated by dinopass.com or 3 (?) word diceware passwords. I think they would be secure enough for "most" people if they are long/random enough, provided each password is unique and they are kept in a 1password vault with a strong (diceware) master password. Users could be given a warning that these passwords are not as secure as the current ones, but with the advantage that they are easier to use. I assume that someone could calculate the security of this type of password.
Any thoughts? Am I completely wrong, and passwords like this could be cracked in 5 minutes?
thanks
Graham

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @glawster11,

Thanks for the suggestion! We have had several requests to add diceware to our Strong Password Generator, and we have an open case for it in our internal issue tracker. I've added your vote for this feature there, with a link to this post. Our developers are looking into the possibility of implementing this in a future release of 1Password for Mac. We appreciate your feedback, and thanks for using 1Password! :)

ref: OPM-1482

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I would like passwords like those generated by dinopass.com or 3 (?) word diceware passwords. I think they would be secure enough for "most" people if they are long/random enough

Sadly, less than 5-word DiceWare passwords are fairly quickly brute-forced these days. But certainly having more readable passwords would take some of the sting out, even though they would need to be much longer than you anticipate to provide the same security as a truly randomized password of half the character length. Thanks for the feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.