Login to backed up copy

amatgreen
amatgreen
Community Member

I was alerted that there is a conflict with a backed up copy of 1Password. I've never had this problem before, and I've been using 1Password for years. 1PW help indicated that I should shut down my backup drive every time I launch 1PW. This is cumbersome and inconvenient. Is there not a better work-around?

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: OSX10.10.3
Sync Type: dropbox
KB Article: remove-multiple-apps

Comments

• amatgreen
    amatgreen
    Community Member

Actually I believe the conflict was with 1Password mini. This doesn't make it quite as problematic since I can turn off my back up drives along with my iMac at bedtime. I'm assuming that 1Password mini opens at startup. I this correct? I don't see it in the login items however.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Depending on what method you use to backup, there may be a couple of options easily available to you.

1) Organise your backup so that 1PW does not get backed up. That is, do not back up the program itself, you can (and should) have the data backed up.

2) Keep your backup drive unmounted.

It does depend on the program you use. For instance, some cloners can cope with a drive that's unmounted at the scheduled time. And some can easily exclude specific items, for other cloners it may be hard.

The problem is with Yosemite. When there are two copies of an item (1PW Mini in this case) available, it sometimes launches the wrong one. Nobody is quite sure why this happens, except that it is an issue with Yosemite.

• amatgreen
    amatgreen
    Community Member

One would hope that that might not be an issue with the next OS version. I'm using both Superduper and Time Machine. I also backup in the cloud on Crachplan which I don't guess is involved. I will check to see if I can exclude 1PW from the backups. Thanks.

• amatgreen
    amatgreen
    Community Member

Does 1PW mini only run when 1PW is actively running or is it in the background all the time - initiated at startup?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

You can certainly exclude 1PW from Time Machine backups.

And SuperDuper scheduled backups will mount unmounted drives.

• amatgreen
    amatgreen
    Community Member

Again - many thanks for your explanation and advice.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @amatgreen,

Sorry we haven't managed to get to your thread until now although it looks like danco has been doing a fantastic job.

The heart of the issue is there is a very particular function call we have to make to register 1Password mini. This call, the only one that we're allowed to make from a sandboxed application, relies on Spotlight to pick the right 1Password mini and as you've discovered, Spotlight does not always make the right call.

Given you can easily download 1Password again from either Apple's Mac App Store or from our own AgileBits Download page as well as easily being able to retrieve your licence, it should mean that the issue of not having the 1Password application in your backup isn't too much of an annoyance while the upside is the correct version of 1Password mini is always launched.

If you need any help getting your backup systems tweaked let us know. Between most of the forum regulars we have the big three covered.

• amatgreen
    amatgreen
    Community Member

Many thanks to all for the comments and advice. I was able to successfully exclude 1PW from my Superduper backup. Life is good.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

That's great to hear @amatgreen :smile: If you have any further questions or issues you know where we are :smile:

This discussion has been closed.