1Password doesn't fill in properly on WSJ site

Options
JohnLM
JohnLM
Community Member
edited May 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

This issue is purely about how the extension functions, not about the specific password itself. When I select the login from the Chrome extension on some sites -- WSJ specifically (see http://screencast.com/t/bosyWoTu) -- the username will fill-in, but not the password. This problem is inconsistent overall, but consistent on specific sites... that is, most sites work fine, but the WSJ site always has this problem. When I open the main 1PW application, I can place my cursor in the appropriate window, find the entry and click the button to auto-type. What is going on?

1Password Version: 4.5.0.574
Extension Version: 4.5.0.574
OS Version: Win 7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @JohnLM,

Auto-Type and the 1Password extension's filler are two separate systems: the former just simulates typing on your keyboard while the extension is smarter with field analysis, replaces the field's values with the data, and so on.

What's happening is that your extension doesn't see the password field or it doesn't match up to what your saved data shows (we save the field information as well when saving your data). We have systems in place to prevent entering your password into random open fields, you wouldn't want 1Password to enter your password into text fields that could be submitted and let everyone see it.

Since it is only happening on a few sites, we recommend try saving a new Login with the extension, so it can analyze the latest field information on the site to be more accurate with filling. Here's how:

1. Visit the WSJ's login page, enter the username/password but do not submit the form yet.
    2. Click on the 1Password icon to select Settings > Save New Login, you can choose to replace an existing Login or save it separately to ensure your older item remains the same.
    3. Refresh the page and ask 1Password to fill with the newer Login and see if it works.

I tested this with Chrome 43 on Windows 8 and it works for me.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @JohnLM,

One more thing, I've moved your thread to our dedicated Saving and Filling in Browsers forum for this type of issues.

Thanks!

• JohnLM
    JohnLM
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that did the trick. I'll keep this in my back pocket for when I run into this again... I hadn't considered "creating a new login", this is easier than going back to the entry on the main program and editing! (Which is what I have done in the past.)

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome. That's definitely the first thing you want to try to see if it would fix the filling issue. You might want to skim through our guides on this as well: https://support.1password.com/extension/

This discussion has been closed.