Trial Expired Icon

arlenecosand
arlenecosand
Community Member

When I check for updates on 1 Password it says I am using the latest version but when I open 1 Password I get a trial expired icon, my data is incorrect, and I cannot edit it. What is the problem? I am using 1Password 5
Version 5.3.2 (532001)
Agile Web Store

1Password Version: 1Password 5 Version 5.3.2 (532001) Agile Web Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• arlenecosand
    arlenecosand
    Community Member

OS Version 10.10.2

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Can you say more about the incorrect data. That's a bit of an issue, as it should not be happening. Not being able to edit is normal if you have an expired trial.

When did you buy 1PW. Have you applied the license? When things are working properly you receive an email with a license FILE (not just a license key text), and you have to apply the license. There are one or two things that can go wrong, the most common being people who don't realise that they need to do more than pay for a license, they have to apply it.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @arlenecosand,

I checked our records to locate a 1Password 4 or 5 licence for you but I couldn't find one. I did however find a 1Password 3 licence. Now not finding a 1Password 4/5 licence doesn't mean one doesn't exist, it may be you purchased it using a different email address from the one you're using here in the forums.

What may be pertinent though is 1Password 4 was a paid upgrade over 1Password 3 so a valid licence key for 1Password 3 won't help with 1Password 4 or 5 which as danco was saying, require a licence file. Another cause would be if you purchased 1Password 4/5 via Apple's Mac App Store. Apple don't notify us of these purchases and you don't have a licence direct from us as a result. Instead the purchase is tied to your Apple ID and requires 1Password for Mac to be downloaded via their Mac App Store instead of from our AgileBits Download page. For more on this our page titled “Trial Expired” notice (Mac) may be informative.

Once we understand where you purchased 1Password 4/5 from we should be able to resolve the trial expired issue which will mean you can edit your items once again. The data being incorrect is separate though and we will need a little more detail as to how it is incorrect and when it seemed to have happened. Certainly data integrity is very important given what we entrust 1Password with. Hopefully we can get this all resolved :smile:

• arlenecosand
    arlenecosand
    Community Member

I don't find it on apple purchase history...I know I have kept up with all updates.....but I need it badly....I'll do whtever is necessary to get it working again...even if it means buying it again. Please just tell me what I need to do.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @arlenecosand,

Let's first ensure you haven't purchased 1Password for Mac from Apple's Mac App Store

1. The first place to check is the Purchases tab in the App Store application on your Mac. If you've purchased 1Password for Mac via the Mac App Store it should be here. If it is it will either have a button saying OPEN or DOWNLOAD. Either is good and all we have to do is migrate you over to the Mac App Store version.
    2. It is possible to hide a purchase though. Here is a link to Apple's KB on this topic, Hide and unhide purchases in the Mac App Store.

If neither of those yield a 1Password for Mac entry it would strongly indicate you didn't purchase via Apple's Mac App Store. That leaves purchasing from us. As I said, I can find records from 2010 where you've purchased 1Password 3 from our store but nothing newer, not even after widening the search based on your surname. Unless you feel it is possible that you purchased 1Password 4/5 under a different name I would say it's likely you don't have a 1Password 4/5 upgrade licence. This is partly our fault. There was a bug in 1Password 4 where it wasn't very vocal about being in a trial mode so some of our happy users were totally unaware that they needed a new licence.

I would say there are two options.

1. If you think it is possible the purchase is under a different surname and email address then please contact us at support+forum@agilebits.com with the details and we will check our records for you. If we find something we'll send the licence out again for you.
    2. If that doesn't seem likely then the quickest/easiest route is probably an upgrade licence purchased in our 2. AgileBits Store. Now the link you really want to look at is this one. That link is to the upgrade price for 1Password for Mac. You would enter your 1Password 3 licence key and the store will inform you what your options (and costs are). After the purchase you would receive an email and following the instructions you can remove the trial restrictions on the existing copy of 1Password on your Mac.

If you have any questions about any of this please do ask and we'll do our best to answer them for you before you decide what to do :smile:

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

There's one thing more that I don't recall you having tried. Open 1PW, go to About 1Password in the 1Password menu section.

Report what it tells you, which should include the exact number of 1PW you have (maybe 5.3.2) and also whether it was from the Apple Store or from AgileBits.

It might be that you do best, in your situation, to purchase an upgrade from AgileBits, and after that check further as to whether you have already bought. AgileBits are good at refunding accidental second purchases. This is just a thought, I would not necessarily recommend it.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@arlenecosand, I hope the information from littlebobbytables and danco is helpful for you! I'm sorry for any confusion about your 1Password license. If you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

• arlenecosand
    arlenecosand
    Community Member

1Password 5
    Version 5.3.2 (532001)
    Agile Web Store

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @arlenecosand! You definitely have the AgileBits Store version installed. As it was mentioned before, 1Password 4/5 is a paid upgrade from 1Password 3. Since we're only able to find a license for you for 1Password 3, my guess is that you didn't purchase an upgrade to 1Password 4/5 for Mac (unless you did so with a different email address, or bought it from the Mac App Store).

In that case, if you'd like to upgrade to a 1Password 5 license so you can fully activate it, you can visit our Upgrade Store and enter your version 3 license code to see your upgrade discount and license options.

Alternately, if you don't want to purchase the upgrade, we can help you go back to using 1Password 3 for Mac. It's still a great product, even if it doesn't have all the latest bells and whistles.

Please let us know if you have more questions about that. I'm sorry again for any confusion!

This discussion has been closed.