Wifi sync between MacPro, MacBook Pro iPhone and iPad

rjj
rjj
Community Member

Running 1Password 5, I'm sure I'm overlooking something really simple but I've been unable to sync my logins from all four devices. My Mac Pro sync preference has a folder I created in my iCloud drive, selected as the "Also sync Primary Vault Location." The Orange Sync preferences under Valutsl primary on the Mac Pro says: This mac is set up to run a 1Password Wi-Fi server which includes syncing of this value for IOS devices etc... AND Also syncs 1P Primary with FOLDER - beneath that: iCloud Drive (Name of my folder (a symbol of some sort the 1Password 2.agilekeychain.

This folder name also shows up on my MacBook Pro but when I run a sync on both, the logins remain different (not updated on the Mac Pro.) My suspicion is this problem started when it seemed I'd initially unintentionally created two separate 1Password iCloud drive sync folders on iCloud but when actually go to iCloud from the Mac Pro all this is revealed to me related to 1Password is a checkmark besides "1Password mini."

I've been at this for a long time and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Robert

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rjj
    rjj
    Community Member

Running 10.10.3 on both Macs and 1P 5.3.2 on both

• rjj
    rjj
    Community Member

Just found my iCloud drive folder does indeed contain two 1Password folder - I'll try deleting the right one!

• rjj
    rjj
    Community Member

No on the Mac Pro that second folder was a backup - and deleting it did not allow the MacPro do accept the updated login on the MacBook Pro - This may be wrong but it seems like there are two completely separate folders which (one of which is not visible from the other computer.

• rjj
    rjj
    Community Member

Accessing iCloud drive from the desktop reveals many more files then attempting to access it form the sidebar

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rjj,

In 1Password 4/5, unlike older versions, there is a distinct difference between your vault and the sync data. What this means is you can disable sync and instruct 1Password to remove the sync data without it harming the local copy of your vault. Normally this is used in instances where the sync container has become damaged for whatever reason but we can take advantage of that attribute now.

My suggestion would be to disable Folder Sync and instruct 1Password to delete the sync data. Unless you know of a good reason you should also be safe to remove anything else 1Password related from your iCloud Drive. You would want to make sure that these removals are visible on both machines i.e. the changes have propagated over and then we can try setting up Folder Sync once again. It would all be like the previous time. You would select Folder Sync as the sync option and point it towards iCloud Drive. Hopefully after it has finished syncing the changes will also be visible on your other Mac and you can finally get the two machines to play well together.

How does that sound as a plan? If needed we can go into more detail over the steps or if you have any doubts or questions we'll do our best to answer them. Hopefully though, removing the sync data completely and making sure iCloud is showing this will mean when you set it up again that it works.

• rjj
    rjj
    Community Member

Hi! Thanks so much for that detailed suggestion. Can't implement it right now but very much looking forward to tryin git out! One other potentially rtelated question is whether I might also gain any additional benefit from using a folder on my deskop which is actually an alias for a folder on my media server; ( MediaFire) - as a sync folder (instead of utilizing iCloud or DrobBox) - Guessing that with your suggestion it won't be necessary.. Thank again! Robert

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rjj,

Hopefully things go well when you try the suggestion from littlebobbytables, please let us know how it goes! :)

One other potentially rtelated question is whether I might also gain any additional benefit from using a folder on my deskop which is actually an alias for a folder on my media server; ( MediaFire) - as a sync folder (instead of utilizing iCloud or DrobBox)

If I understand what you're saying, that would actually be setting up Folder sync to point to a sync file stored on your media server, which can be problematic. As mentioned in this User Guide article, "Folder Sync should only be configured with a folder on a local or removable drive (e.g. external hard drive or USB flash drive). Configuring it with a network volume (e.g. Time Capsule or other NAS) may cause problems if the device goes offline."

Instead, what you can do is set up Folder sync to point to a local folder on your Mac, and then use a tool such as rsync (or another file copy tool) to copy the contents of that folder to the media server. On your other Mac, use the same tool to copy the folder from the media server to a location on that Mac, and configure Folder sync to point to that sync file.

Hopefully that's helpful, but if you have more questions about that, please let us know! :)

• rjj
    rjj
    Community Member

Hi again. I had begun to try and implement littlebobbytables's suggestion by removing folder sync from my MacPro and then began to disable it from my Macbook Pro as well but i hesitated, seeing the Mabook's 1Password sync preferences reporting that my Primary Vault was set to sync with a Folder which I had not on;y previously disabled from the MacPro but had also manually moved that folder completely out of the iCloud drive. I double-checked by manually opening my iCloud drive via the Finder on the MacPro and it was indeed gone. Nonetheless the Macbook Pro was offering me the option of syncing my Primary Vault with "iCloud drive/folder name/1Password .agilekeychain ("last synced 22 seconds ago.) (as if there were some kind of "parallel universe" operating here.) I didn't want to go any farther until I asked what might be up with this. Thanks! Robert

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rjj,

It sounds like you made the right call, we can't expect anything to work properly if we can't tame iCloud on both Macs.

I think it might be worth looking at a diagnostic report, see if it sheds any light as to what is going on.

I would like you to create the following Diagnostic Report please for your MacBook Pro, the Mac that stubbornly refuses to let go of this now deleted folder.

Then attach everything in an email to us at support+ forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once you've sent the Report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.