1Password mini opens when I fill a Login in Chrome [under investigation]

brendanc
brendanc
Community Member
edited November 2015 in Mac

See https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/20492/1password-mini-opens-whenever-i-login-to-a-website-issue-when-using-multiple-chrome-profiles

I have this same issue, and I would have replied there, but the topic is closed. Has there been any progress on this or is there a fix? I must have multiple Chrome profiles; switching browsers is not an option, etc.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @brendanc‌

I believe it's still an issue that we're looking into I'm afraid. Would you willing to see if the beta Chrome extension works any better?

You'd want to uninstall the current stable extension, and then click the Enable betas link before installing. If it doesn't help you can of course uninstall the beta and revert to the stable version. It is being investigated though.

ref: OPM-842

• brendanc
    brendanc
    Community Member

OK, I will try that later today.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @brendanc,

I hope it works for you, but do let us know if you're still seeing this in the beta extension.

• brendanc
    brendanc
    Community Member

Sorry about the delay; it seems to be resolved with the beta.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @brendanc, thanks for letting us know the problem is solved in the beta extension! I'm happy to hear it's working for you now. :)

• brendanc
    brendanc
    Community Member

Not sure what happened, but it started happening on another site... doesn't seem to be fixed :(

Just verified I am still using the beta extension. ugh!

• @brendanc‌ Yes, 1Password mini does seem to still get confused with multiple Chrome profiles running simultaneously. If you run just one profile at a time things should settle down. I don't really have another workaround to offer at the moment. If we get a fix figured out, it will show up in the beta extension first.

• brendanc
    brendanc
    Community Member

Cool. Unfortunately given the nature of my work situation, I must have multiple chrome profiles (or I would go crazy logging in and out of common services all the time--Gmail, etc) and so I really look forward to a fix.

If I may ask, and pardon my ignorance since I do not have experience building Chrome extensions/OS X applications: What triggers the 1password mini to open from the menu bar when hitting the fill shortcut from inside a browser in the first place? I understand the one that comes up normally, but how is the mini in the menubar in any way related?

I have the shortcut to open mini cleared out (in other words, it has no shortcut) so I know I'm not triggering it by accident.

• @brendanc‌ The extension actually is pretty basic, and doesn't do much. It has a communication line to 1Password mini so it can send the active URL and receive the matching data back. Otherwise it executes the scripts for auto-save and for filling forms.

The data and UI for the extension is a detached 1Password mini instance. We typically center the 1Password mini window on the screen, or if you click the extension button, we then get x,y coordinates to draw the 1Password mini window there. 1Password mini's fallback is to anchor to the menu bar location, which could definitely happen if it is getting confused about where it should go due to the competing Chrome profiles.

• brendanc
    brendanc
    Community Member

Interesting. The issue is even more puzzling because it does fill out the username/password fields, but then opens the mini at the menubar seemingly "for no reason". In programming, I know it's never "for no reason", but you get my drift...

I wonder if there's some way to check if a fill had occurred, and then simply not open mini at all? Or is it that sometimes you can't detect if a fill is taking place?

• @brendanc Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what the issue is that confounds mini when multiple profiles are in use. The developers know, but I myself am a little foggy on the exact specifics.

• matzebatze
    matzebatze
    Community Member

I'm running into the same issue. Are there any updates on resolving it?

• @matzebatze Unfortunately, no, we do not yet have a workaround implemented for multiple Chrome profiles.

• brendanc
    brendanc
    Community Member

Updates?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @brendanc,

We're tracking a few problems regarding the extension/1Password mini with Chrome. I believe the devs are working on this but sadly I'm not aware of any significant improvements. I will make a point of asking what the status is. I apologise that I don't have better news to report :(

• brendanc
    brendanc
    Community Member

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome @brendanc, and thanks for your patience while our developers look into this! :)

ref: OPM-2185

• shap125
    shap125
    Community Member

Has there been any resolution on this issue? Multiple profiles is required for me at work and it's the only thing keeping me from jumping to 1Password full time. Thanks!

• eva_s
    eva_s
    1Password Alumni

Hi @shap125,

I'm sorry to say that our developers are still working on this issue. I assure you that this is not an issue that we are ignoring, it really is something that we hope we can get resolved soon. We very much appreciate your patience.

ref: OPM-2185

• danmcg
    danmcg
    Community Member

Just another vote to move this along. I just switched from Lastpass after the whole buyout thing and cleaned up all my logins to import them into 1Password. I wasn't sure what was going on because it appears to work fine at first. I realized the issue appeared once I installed the extension in my other profile. So it appears that was the trigger.

• @danmcg Thank you for checking in with us on this. I've added your vote to our internal tracker. I don't have any updates on the issue itself, but our developers are aware of your interest in getting it resolved. Hopefully we'll have something for you soon. :)

• shap125
    shap125
    Community Member

This issue seems to have been open for the last 2 years. Is there really no timeline resolution? Dashlane can make it work just fine.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @shap125,

There have been a couple very similar (but technically different) issues like this. The one that is still unresolved is the one where, when using multiple profiles in Chrome, the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut causes 1Password mini to open even if you only have one Login item for the website. Is that the exact issue you're asking about?

If so, I do apologize that this is still a problem. I wish I had more information to give you, but as the bug report for this is still open, our developers have not yet been able to fix it in any beta or stable release of the 1Password extension for Chrome, and therefore we don't have a timeframe for when that will happen.

I'm really sorry that I don't have a better answer for you right now! We also really want this to be fixed, as it affects many of us as well. I'll let our developers know you asked again about it.

ref: OPX-647

• shap125
    shap125
    Community Member

Thanks so much @Drew_AG! So disappointing.... 1Password is just so much nicer.

• @shap125 On behalf of Drew, you're welcome. If you need anything else, you know where to find us. :wink:

This discussion has been closed.