Adding 1Password on OSX to dropbox existing vault rolls back password data

Options
josh.hankin
josh.hankin
Community Member
edited June 2015 in Mac

I've been running 1Password on Windows and OSX quite happily for a few months now, with the vault stored on dropbox. Recently, I've re-installed OSX and hence 1Password on the mac.

For some reason, each time I point the OSX 1Password to the existing vault in dropbox, it modifies about 9 files, and apparently rolls back the information in each of them - I noticed mainly because one of the impacted login records in the vault was my gmail account, and it suddenly contains an old password.

The steps I'm following now are:

• Remove OSX 1Password data as per here: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/4/en/topic/how-do-i-start-over - NB - I've also tried uninstalling the 1Password application itself at this stage.
  • Remove the existing vault data from dropbox (the entire 1Password folder), confirm it is removed (via dropbox sync) from both mac and windows machine dropbox shares.
  • Restore my 1Password vault data from backup to dropbox (fortunately I was able to rollback in dropbox when I noticed the problem, and I have what I believe to be a pre-issue data store backup). Confirm this backup is synced to both windows and mac dropbox shares.
  • Open up 1Password on the windows machine, login, and confirm it displays my current gmail password. I haven't ever had any issues at this stage.
  • Start 1Password on OSX, and confirm during the setup dialogue that I want it to use the data in my dropbox folder, and supply the password.

At this stage, dropbox indicates that 9 files have been edited in dropbox, and I can see via the dropbox web console that each of these files are 1Password vault data (see below images). When I go to the gmail login details, it has rolled back to the previous password, when accessed via either the OSX or the windows install (where it was previously correct and up to date).

I have no idea why at this time of being connected to the vault for the first time the OSX version of the program is modifying these files, or why they apparently get modified to a prior version of the credential data.

1Password Version: 1.0.9.342 (Windows) 5.3.2 (OSX)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.10.3 Yosemite, Windows 7 Pro (64 bit)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @josh.hankin,

It's very strange, I can't replicate the behaviour you're seeing in 1Password for Mac. If I follow the How do I start over with an empty vault? guide nothing in my .agilekeychain is touched when a completely fresh copy of 1Password reads the .agilekeychain to populate a new instance of 1Password. I know that isn't the case with 1Password for iOS which I suspect is a side-effect of using the Dropbox API.

More importantly, there should be no evidence of the old gmail password unless 1Password 1 for Windows is doing something odd indeed. I am puzzled.

I know, it sounds daft but can you confirm that you are follow every step precisely when you start over? Quitting 1Password mini prior to starting is important, we don't want it re-creating anything after you've removed the relevant support folders for 1Password. The reboot at the end is important due to all the aggressive caching that OS X does. I once was able to access a vault that I'd just deleted because of this - it's best to not underestimate the funky behaviour that is possible.

If it's still doing this could you send in a diagnostic report please. Maybe the log will tell us something.

I would like you to create the following Diagnostic Report please.

Then attach it an email to us at support+ forum@agilebits.com. I would also like one other piece of information. To get this information can you first open 1Password's preferences and switch to the Advanced tab. In there can you tick the checkbox for the Show Item > Copy UUID menu item option and with your gmail item selected, use the drop down menu option Item > Copy UUID. That will copy the UUID to the clipboard and you can paste that into the email. It won't reveal the contents of your item but it will allow us to see if it is mentioned by its UUID in the log.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once you've sent the Report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• josh.hankin
    josh.hankin
    Community Member
    Options

I've confirmed my steps as requested - definitely following all of them now, although I must admit I had missed the reboot on a couple of tries; it hasn't impacted the problem.

I've emailed in a diagnostic report as requested.

I attempted to collect the UUID of the gmail item once it was open in 1Password on OSX, but - this is getting strange now - after selecting the option to display the UUID, I couldn't find the gmail account in 1Password at all...

I'm trying to recreate this again. Very strange.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @josh.hankin,

That's very strange indeed! I'm sorry you're having such trouble with 1Password, but I'm sure we'll be able to help get this all sorted out.

We received your Diagnostics Report, thanks for sending it! I updated the email thread with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Thanks!

ref: TNL-15418-775

This discussion has been closed.