items configured for apple watch display in my secondary vault don't appear on watch.

bsholbrook
bsholbrook
Community Member

items configured for apple watch display in my secondary vault don't appear on watch. It appears as though this option is not supported.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @bsholbrook That's correct, currently 1Password for Apple Watch can only read from the Primary Vault. We hope to be able to expand 1Password for Apple Watch's capabilities as the tools to create apps for Apple Watch mature.

• bsholbrook
    bsholbrook
    Community Member

Thanks Chris, in general one assumes a consistent means of handling multiple vaults. In practice there are a few inconsistencies across the 1password OS X, iOS, and watch platforms. On ios an account can be found across vaults, not so in OS X. The watch can only use primary fault.

Cleaning this'll for a consistent experience would be outstanding.

• @bsholbrook You're more than welcome. We're definitely aware of how vaults are a bit different across platforms right now. Much of that is due to different constraints on the different platforms. Again, as tools mature, the experience should also become better & better.

• stefan_thompson
    stefan_thompson
    Community Member

Since there appears to be logic for not allowing some categories to be added to Apple watch, it'd be great to see that added for all items in the 2nd vault. I spent a lot of time trying to get items in 2nd vault on the watch.

• bsholbrook
    bsholbrook
    Community Member

Chris, agree and I'm not trying to argue. Some variance may be due to platform, but not true in the case of safari. osx's Safari plugin will only locate 1password info in the active fault where iOS' safari 1paasword plugin will find across vaults. Suggesting that the OS X platform is more restricted than iOS is not so. That is a 1password limitation not a platform condition and yet it results in a widely different user experience! I've expressed this months ago, it's been acknowledge, but remains unresolved!

Another feature that is needed is for 1password searches to span vaults, why can the iOS Safari plugin find the secondary vault logins when search inside 1password is limited to the active vault. That's another inconsistency that is confusing!

1password touts multiple vaults which is awesome, but a more natural and consistent integration is sorely needed, that's feedback in hopes of improvements coming from a longtime power user of the app.

• bsholbrook
    bsholbrook
    Community Member

Hopefully the feedback is taken and considered and not discarded, certainly your call

• The feedback is always considered, @bsholbrook. While a more universal experience is the goal, some things are different because of the constraints of a particular system.

For instance, multiple vaults first arrived on the Mac. We had a quick switching method there, where command-1 is primary vault, and then command 2 is the next one, and so on and so forth. With that shortcut, we assumed users could quickly and easily switch vaults.

Then iOS gained multiple vault support, and we're still working on how to best quickly switch vaults there. It requires some re-thinking of the UI, and that is not a small undertaking.

However, then we got extensions on iOS, and the constraint of that extension system brought forth the idea to be able to pull matching items from all vaults. While this is a step in the right direction, it also has its flaws, as there is no way to separate out which item is coming from which vault. Again, something that is on our minds.

And then we have Apple Watch. The constraints here have us prioritizing speed and battery conservation. Since all data must be loaded on-the-fly from the iPhone to the Apple Watch, we have begun with a very conservative approach, especially since this version of the app was largely developed without actual Apple Watch hardware to test on. Now that our development team has their hands…term, wrists…on actual hardware, we can see how quickly data actually transfers between the iPhone and Apple Watch, and begin to expand what 1Password for Apple Watch is capable of. Also, Apple has dropped some pretty big hints that Apple Watch apps are going to have much better tools available soon.

All in all, we'll see what the future holds.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

Since there appears to be logic for not allowing some categories to be added to Apple watch, it'd be great to see that added for all items in the 2nd vault.

@stefan_thompson: Quite the opposite: only specific categories and fields are supported. It's sort of a 'whitelisting' approach, rather than 'blacklisting' specific things.

And then we have Apple Watch. The constraints here have us prioritizing speed and battery conservation. Since all data must be loaded on-the-fly from the iPhone to the Apple Watch, we have begun with a very conservative approach, especially since this version of the app was largely developed without actual Apple Watch hardware to test on.

@chrisdj: I couldn't have said it better myself. I'll just add that it sounds like Apple might loosen restrictions on 3rd party apps, since battery life has not turned out to be a big problem in real-world usage; we may happily follow suit. The last thing we wanted to do was kill everyone's battery out of the gate. ;)

• tomoy
    tomoy
    Community Member

Adding my 2¢ - mostly to pile on and say this is quite limited if it can't pull from another vault. The personal/work distinction is more and more necessary. One workaround might be to load the Apple Watch tags from whichever Vault is selected in the iPhone app.

Off-topic - I've always wished the iOS app would allow one-time entry of passwords for each vault, TouchID would unlock either/both depending on which passwords were provided. Then the Watch would inherit this from the iPhone. For now, it'd just be nice if I switched Vaults on the iPhone, then the Watch would switch also. Clearly, looking forward to WatchOS2 and the ability to keep passwords resident on the Watch even when disconnected.

• Thanks for the 2¢, @tomoy! We're definitely looking into the possibilities of what we can do better and more efficiently with watchOS 2.

This discussion has been closed.