License problem - 1Password says it's a trial version

Options
donnarcorrigan
donnarcorrigan
Community Member

I can't get my license added. My 1Password is saying I have a trial version. I had the key sent to me, but the email doesn't look like what the support page says it should

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• donnarcorrigan
    donnarcorrigan
    Community Member
    Options

How can i contact 1password to talk either on the phone or via chat?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @donnarcorrigan,

You're speaking to a member of the AgileBits team already :smile: We actively monitor the forums and while you can easily find informative and friendly help from other users, we do make a point of reviewing every thread.

I've checked our records and while it isn't conclusive, I can see a purchase for 1Password 3 made in 2011. This could explain the issues you're having as 1Password 3 uses a licence key which you can copy and paste from the email while 1Password 4/5 use a licence file, a file that you have to download and add to 1Password to complete the registration approach.

The first thing we need to do is determine if you have ever purchased a licence for 1Password 4/5. When we release 1Password 4 it was a paid upgrade over 1Password 3 so an existing licence would not cover you. We didn't charge for 1Password 5 though so any licence for 1Password 4 covers a user for 1Password 5 too. It might be you did indeed purchase an upgrade licence from us but if you have I would have to guess that you might have done so using a different email address. I suspect you haven't though, at least not directly from us as I widened the search based on the domain of your email address.

It is possible though that you purchased 1Password 4/5 from Apple's Mac App Store. If you did I wouldn't be able to find a record as Apple don't share those details with us. Instead your purchase of 1Password for Mac would be registered against your Apple ID and would allow you to download the 1Password for Mac (Mac App Store) version from Apple's App Store.

So the first step is to identify if you've previously purchased 1Password 4/5 at any point. If you have we can work with you to get the licensing resolved. If you haven't then you still have a couple of options. You still have, and will always have, a licence to run 1Password 3. If you like the improvements in 1Password 5 though then a new licence would be in order. If you want iCloud Sync support you would need to consider 1Password for Mac from Apple's Mac App Store. If iCloud Sync support isn't imperative though you can use your 1Password 3 licence key to obtain a discounted upgrade price in our store. Sadly there isn't a way to offer a discounted price and get iCloud Sync - the two are mutually exclusive due to how iCloud and Apple's store works.

So there's a bit of information in there. You will likely have some follow up questions. If at any point we need to cover anything of a sensitive nature e.g. email address etc. then we can move the query to our email support but there are a number of us that are working in the forums right now so you will receive a prompt reply if you post here :smile:

• donnarcorrigan
    donnarcorrigan
    Community Member
    Options

omg. how would i know if i purchased 1Password 4? And why on earth if I didn't am I going through this now?

• donnarcorrigan
    donnarcorrigan
    Community Member
    Options

I went through a bunch of problems trying to bring my iPhone, iPad and Mac versions in synch in the last year. I don't know where to start, short of just buying it again. I'm so frustrated. Do I buy it through the Mac store?

• donnarcorrigan
    donnarcorrigan
    Community Member
    Options

What do I need to do to make my 1Password work just like it did last week? Completely synced with my iPhone and iPad? If I purchase a license, will that do it?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @donnarcorrigan,

The easiest way to check and see if you purchased 1Password for Mac via Apple's Mac App Store would be to launch the App Store application on your Mac. In there you would switch to the Purchases tab. If you see 1Password in the list of purchased applications you know you've purchased from Apple's store. Now if it isn't there it is still possible, but unlikely, that you purchased from Apple's Mac App Store. The reason is you can hide a purchase so it doesn't appear in that list. You're more likely to do this with applications that you've tried and hated so much you don't want to see them ever again. Anyway, to check and see if 1Password for Mac is a hidden purchase this Apple KB will help, Hide and unhide purchases in the Mac App Store.

If you still cannot see 1Password for Mac then it will be the case that you haven't purchased 1Password for Mac with this Apple ID.

At this stage it would seem likely you will need to purchase a new licence or return to 1Password 3 for Mac. If you're looking for the route of least resistance I would personally say that would be an upgrade licence from our store. You would follow this link and paste in your existing 1Password 3 licence key to obtain the discounted upgrade price. You would receive an email and when you click on the link the existing copy of 1Password 5 would register the licence. That would mean no switching to the Mac App Store version and reconfiguring another copy of 1Password. It would mean no access to iCloud Sync but the version you're currently running never supported it anyway so I'm guessing you don't see it as a deal breaker but I could be wrong.

The only difference between the two stores, in terms of functionality, is the iCloud Sync. What Apple's Mac App Store doesn't allow is for the upgrade price as there isn't a way to offer a selective discount. Given you already have our AgileBits Store version configured and running it would seem my suggestion would be the easiest.

Of course any questions that you may have we will do our best to answer.

• donnarcorrigan
    donnarcorrigan
    Community Member
    Options

I thought i was using 1Password 5 that has iCloud sync? How can I tell if I'm using iCloud sync?

• donnarcorrigan
    donnarcorrigan
    Community Member
    Options

so i purchased a new license from your site. I added some logins on my iMac. Now when I go into my phone, it says I can no longer use dropbox. so i click authorize, but it doesn't give me a chance to type in my login and password - the authorize message just keeps coming up. So I thought I'd delete the app and reinstall it, but it says it will delete all my data, though it will still be available on iCloud, which leads me to believe that I was using iCloud to sync. Now I don't know what to do. It's working on my computer, but i need it on my iPhone and iPad.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

@donnarcorrigan - I don't use iCloud sync, in part because I have the version from AgileBits, which doesn't have iCloud as an option. But you can tell what you are using by going to 1Password 5 > Preferences, and clicking on the Sync tab at the top of the Preferences window. I've shown this in the attached screen capture, which shows I'm using Dropbox. If you are set up for iCloud, that would show where my illustration shows Dropbox.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @donnarcorrigan,

Sorry for any confusion about this! If you're using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac (and it looks like you are), you're not using iCloud sync, because iCloud sync is only available in the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac. We have more information about that in these knowledgebase articles:

If you've been syncing 1Password between your Mac, iPhone, and iPad, then you've probably been using Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync. You can check which sync method you're currently using by opening the main 1Password app on your Mac, going to the menu for 1Password 5 > Preferences, and selecting the Sync tab. On your iOS devices, you can check that by opening 1Password and going to Settings > Sync.

I noticed you just bought an upgrade to a 1Password 5 for Mac license - thank you so much for your purchase, we truly appreciate it! :) If you have more questions or need anything else, please let us know and we'll be happy to help.

• donnarcorrigan
    donnarcorrigan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the posts. I am using dropbox according to my iMac and it says it synced 12 minutes ago. However, on my phone, it says Dropbox Authorization Failed: It appears 1Password is no longer authorized to connect to your Dropbox account. Tap "authorize" to reconnect to dropbox. Which I click on but it doesn't even give me a chance to enter my dropbox name and password before it pops up that message again. I finally got it entered a little at a time, but then it just says I'm not authorized again. I can never completely sign in and link on my phone. Haven't even tried my iPad.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @donnarcorrigan,

Firstly, let me apologise if anything I've written before muddied your understand of iCloud. It certainly wasn't my intent to cause you any more confusion or stress.

Now regarding Dropbox on your iOS devices. Do you happen to have the iOS Dropbox app installed at all? I ask because while 1Password can interact with Dropbox directly, without the aide of their iOS app, I've personally found the entire process seems a lot more robust if the Dropbox iOS app is installed on your iOS device and has been successfully set up. Why the difference?

If the Dropbox iOS app isn't installed we're dealing directly with their login page. Some people have experienced issues with this. However, if the Dropbox iOS app is installed you first log into your Dropbox account in their app, something you just need to do once. Then, back in 1Password for iOS when we request authorisation, iOS switches you to the Dropbox iOS app, you tap the authorise button and then you're returned to 1Password for iOS with no more fuss. Using this approach I've yet to have any authorisation issues. The Dropbox app is free and available from Apple's App Store on your iOS device or if you prefer you can download it in iTunes and then copy it to your iOS device.

I would hope this would work equally as smoothly for you as I've found it has for me.

• donnarcorrigan
    donnarcorrigan
    Community Member
    Options

I downloaded Dropbox to my phone and that worked. Thank you for your help. Still very frustrating to have to do this via a discussion board.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @donnarcorrigan,

I am sorry you feel the forums don't represent a good form of communication. After iOS 8, Yosemite and 1Password 5 we experienced support inflows in our email that meant users weren't receiving support in reasonable timeframes. Focus shifted to these forums because it allows us to help more people by allowing users to search and see if their query had been answered recently. That isn't to say we don't still maintain other forms of communication but I genuinely believe we help a lot of people here. If a problem requires it we can easily shift to more private modes of communication but there could be a further delay while we do so.

The important part is you're back on track and it sounds like the various copies of 1Password are once again syncing. Should you have any further issues or questions we will be here to help :smile:

This discussion has been closed.