Opening links from the program does not work well in Firefox [Moved to private emails]

Options
Twinkie
Twinkie
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I'm a new user. I spent a lot of time researching reviews and features of a variety of different password managers. After careful consideration, I decided that 1Password was the right one for me.

As I have started to populate my logins in the database, I've noticed some problems. When I'm in the 1Password desktop application, I right-click on a login and choose Open (or click the URL link within the desktop application). For some sites, the login works correctly. For other sites, it opens the URL in my browser but does not fill out the name and password or attempt to log me in. But when I try to login to those same site from the browser extension in Firefox, they work correctly.

When the login does not work from the desktop application, I can see in the browser's URL that it added a "onepasswdfill=xxxx" onto the end of the address. So it seems like it's trying to pass along the name and password, but just not successful.

Some of the sites that have this problem so far are nextdoor.com, godaddy.com and southwest.com. In fact, 4 of the first 5 sites I have tried are having some kind of problem. Timewarner.com works fine. Aetna.com doesn't work at all, even with the browser extension. So I'm getting off to a bad start with 1Password, but hoping to work through the issues.

Why would the logins work from within the browser extension but not from within the desktop application?

I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, Firefox 37.0.2 and 1Password 4.3.1.560

Second question is about Windows. From what I've read, 1Password is a popular choice for Macs. Perhaps not enough attention is being made by the programmers on the Windows application?

Hoping to find a solution. Thanks.

Comments

• LauraR
    edited May 2015
    Options

@Twinkie - We are putting equal love and care into 1Password on all the platforms. I'm so sorry you are having a problem. Could you create a diagnostics report as per this guide -https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/win.html - and email it to us at support+forum@agilebits.com. Please can you also include a link back to this discussion. Thanks and looking forward to helping you further.

ref:QYG-49662-867

• Twinkie
    Twinkie
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the support. I have e-mailed the diagnostics report.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Twinkie What version of the 1Password add-on are you running in Firefox?

• Twinkie
    Twinkie
    Community Member
    Options

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

@Twinkie Can you please update to our latest beta version?

1. Start Firefox
    2. Navigate to https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions
    3. Click on: Enable betas
    4. Click on the big green button

You should now have version 4.4.0.5 (or later)

• Twinkie
    Twinkie
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back with you. After a hard drive crash, I'm back up and running. I tried the beta extension. It works much better, but is not perfect. Now when I click the links from the application, it launches the browser, goes to the sites and logs me in. So I thought it was fixed. But when I then log OUT of Godaddy.com or Nextdoor.com, for example, 1Password automatically logs me back in! So it's stuck in a loop. I can work around this by unchecking the preference for Auto-Submit Logins. It's almost what I need.

When do you expect the beta extension to be fully tested and made into an official release? Looking forward to that.

Thanks again for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So I thought it was fixed. But when I then log OUT of Godaddy.com or Nextdoor.com, for example, 1Password automatically logs me back in! So it's stuck in a loop. I can work around this by unchecking the preference for Auto-Submit Logins

@Twinkie: I'm sorry for the confusion! 1Password is not meant to fill or submit login information without the user taking action (pressing Ctrl \ or clicking the Login item), so there is something else going on here. This is actually something that people ask us to implement from time to time, but it isn't something we're comfortable doing for security reasons.

Perhaps your browser is set up to autofill your logins on these sites. If you can tell me the exact OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using currently I'll be happy to test this so we can find a solution for you! :)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @twinkie,

I'm going to close this thread because you've already provided this information in the email with the diagnostic report that Brenty asked for. We'll focus on going through the emails only, you should see a reply soon there.

This discussion has been closed.