Various Questions

Options
jeff_barnes
jeff_barnes
Community Member

I have 1 Password 3 on an older MacBook Pro. I just bought a new MacBook Pro and I have installed the 30 day free trail of One Password 5. The trail expired and now I want to add my lic from the old MacBook Pro to the new one. I did not have the lic handy from the old one so I emailed the lic password return from support and received an email back with not one but two different One Password 3 passwords (think one may be for my phone or iPad not sure). So I checked the old MacBook Pro and confirmed the correct One Password 3 lic code.

So I have the lic I need for a smiple cut and paste but every time I click on the add lic link it either wants me to download a whole new version of One Password 5 (which I don't want to do-worried about two versions on my system and losing my current data) or, it takes me to the finder file system on my new Mac wanting me to click on some type of lic file that I don't have. I just want to past in the lic code, very simple but there seems to be know way to do this.

I also have never been able to get the sync working between my device correctly but that is for another day.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jeff

1Password Version: 5.32
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
KB Article: license-file-faq

Comments

• jeff_barnes
    jeff_barnes
    Community Member
    Options

Looks like I needed to upgrade.

• AGMarshall
    AGMarshall
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jeff_barnes. Thanks for contacting us! And thank you for purchasing the 1Password 5 for Mac upgrade. We greatly appreciate it.

Glad to hear that did the trick for you.

• jeff_barnes
    jeff_barnes
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, another question though..what its the best way for me to transfer my information from my old MacbookPro using 1 Password Version 3 to my new MacBook Pro using 1 Password 5 without losing the new info I have already entered on my new 1 Password 5 version. Make sense?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jeff_barnes,

The easiest approach, and one that will kill two birds with one stone is the use of Dropbox assuming your old MacBook Pro is running a version of OS X new enough that Dropbox still supports it. I only mention that as Dropbox killed off support for 10.4 and 10.5 recently.

You would want to set this up first on the old MacBook Pro and the reason is the file that 1Password 3 calls the vault is merely the sync container in 1Password 4/5. Now Dropbox has changed a bit since 1Password 3 was last updated and it now means 1Password 3 cannot detect the presence of Dropbox.

If you don't already you would want to pop over to https://www.dropbox.com, sign up if needed, download and install the client on your old MacBook Pro.

In the General tab of 1Password 3's preferences there is the Move to Dropbox... which you may or may not have been aware of. Now that is broken so it's a red herring. What you might not know though is if you right click on the path above it you will get a small menu with three options. The one that will interest you is the Move Data File to Another Folder.... You can use that to manually move the .agilekeychain into Dropbox and achieve the same goal.

What you've just done there is move your 1Password vault to Dropbox. From now on any changes you make to your 1Password 3 vault are stored in Dropbox.

Next we want to connect your new copy of 1Password 5 to it. So on your new MacBook Pro you would also download and install the Dropbox client and if you give it a moment it will automatically download your 1Password.agilekeychain to the Dropbox folder on your new Mac.

If you haven't set up 1Password 5 on the new MacBook Pro then our page, Finding existing 1Password data during setup may help although 1Password should find the 1Password.agilekeychain automatically and simple ask for your Master Password.

If you've already set up a vault in 1Password 5 you can simply point 1Password 5 to the 1Password.agilekeychain using our Sync with Dropbox page as a guide. It will ask if you're sure you wish to merge and what it will do is combine the contents of your 1Password 3 vault with whatever is in your 1Password 5 vault. From this point onwards any changes will be visible on the other machine as Dropbox syncs the files.

How does that sound as a potential solution? You may very well have a few questions and we're here to answer them :smile:

• jeff_barnes
    jeff_barnes
    Community Member
    Options

Yowza!!! What a process...ok, let me see if I can get it to go. Thank you for the detailed response. Much Appreciated.

• jeff_barnes
    jeff_barnes
    Community Member
    Options

Got it, thanks..:)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Everything is working and syncing? Excellent news @jeff_barnes :smile: There were a few steps in there it's true and I hope it didn't seem like too much of a task. Is there anything else we can help you with?

This discussion has been closed.