Trouble generating troubleshooting/diagnostics report

STLBells
STLBells
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

The 1Password app (Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report...) does not create a diagnostics report. Instead, it directs my Web browser to a non-existent page on the agilebits Website (see Subject). [PROBLEM #1]

The reason I wanted to create a Diagnostics Report is that the 1PW extension in my browser (Firefox 36.0.1) is showing an exclamation mark in a red circle in the sidebar of the dropdown, and clicking that circle reveals a message, "The 1Password Helper process is experiencing problems. ... Please view the Troubleshooting Report for further information." [PROBLEM #2]
The words "Troubleshooting Report" are a hotlink, and clicking it produces a Webpage with a URL that begins with :
resource://onepassword-at-agilebits-dot-com/onepassword/data/ui/troubleshooting.html?agent=...
The rest of that URL looks like an encoded version of the readable page.

That page, which is titled "Troubleshooting Report," doesn't look like it would be of much help to you, because no values have been supplied for the items in the first three sections of the Report. [PROBLEM #3] The fourth section of the Report, which is Settings, does have values, as follows: Autosave enabled
Autosubmit enabled
Universal Unlock enabled
Conceal Passwords
Avoid Autosave on Domains

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: OS X 10.6.8
Sync Type: none

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@STLBells: Indeed, 1Password 3 is no longer in actively development, so there are definitely some issues that have cropped up in the intervening years, especially with OS and browser versions which 1Password 3 predates.

But in this case the troubleshooting report issues you're having is due to a URL registration problem on your system.

However, it may be a moot point, since it sounds like the problem you're having is related to Firefox itself: the most recent version supported by 1Password 3 is Firefox 26, and that was quite a long time ago as well.

While we won't be updating 1Password 3 any longer, we've made a lot of improvements in 1Password 4 and 5 (including OS, browser, and filling) if at some point you're able to upgrade.

You may, however, be able to generate a diagnostics report using our newer tool. While there may be some aspects of it that depend on newer frameworks, it does collect information about 1Password 3 as well.

I hope this helps. Please let me know what you find! :)

• STLBells
    STLBells
    Community Member

When I ask 1Password to check for updates, it tells me that I'm running the latest version. I haven't been able to find on the Agilebits Website any clear statement of the relationship between 1PW versions, OS versions and browser versions, so I can't tell whether I should try to update to 1PW 4 or 5. After all, 1PW works perfectly well for me aside from this new complaint about the Helper process experiencing problems.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @STLBells,

As you're running OS X Snow Leopard you are actually running the newest version of 1Password for Mac that is compatible with your operating system. 1Password 4 requires Mountain Lion or newer while 1Password 5 requires the latest, Yosemite. So newer versions are sadly outwith your reach, for the moment at least.

I see what you mean about the URLs. The generate a Diagnostics Report link tries to send me to http://support.agilebits.com/kb/troubleshooting/create-a-diagnostics-report-to-help-agilebits-help-you but instead I'm redirected to https://support.1password.com

I believe this link, https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac-3.html will be what you're looking for and thank you for reporting the broken link to us. We've been restructuring all of our help documentation and I suspect the age of that link meant it slipped us by. I shall report it to the right people.

If it's Helper related have you tried the Help > Troubleshooting > Restart Helper menu option? it might be worth a shot.

Let us know how you get along :smile:

• STLBells
    STLBells
    Community Member

The red warning has gone away, apparently because restarting my computer automatically restarted the Helper. Thanks for pointing out the menu option for restarting the Helper; I hope to remember that if the problem recurs.

The corrected link is indeed helpful, though because of what I described in the preceding paragraph, I no longer need it. However, that page doesn't mention the possibility of creating a Troubleshooting Report as I originally did, by clicking a hotlink in 1PW itself. It might be good idea to expand that page with a warning not to use such an embedded report when it has failed to capture the appropriate information.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for the confusion! "Troubleshooting Report" is just 1Password-3-speak for "Diagnostics Report", which is what they've been called since 1Password 4.

It sounds like restarting your Mac resolved the issue, but be sure to reach out if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.