1PW 3.8.22 on 10.9.5

I just now finally updated from Snow Leopard to Mavericks and I'm still trying to get everything set-up. (Clean Install)
For the time being I'm envisioning staying with 1Password 3.8.22 assuming that it works safely with Safari, Chrome and Firefox on 10.9.5
I see that iPassword 4 is the recommended version, but are there any reasons in terms of security/data safety that I can't stick with version 3 for a while??

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.9.5
Sync Type: na

Comments

• Timo
    Timo
    Community Member

Update: Well that's interesting. I just wen't to open the 1Password 3.8.22 app for the first time on this new 10.9.5 system and it failed Gatekeeper verification. Could this be an issue with 1Password 3 lacking the 'version 2' code signature that was rolled out in 10.9.5?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

@Timo: Indeed. Sorry for the confusion! You can get around this by right-clicking the app and selecting Open. 1Password 3 simply doesn't use the codesigning that was introduced in later versions of OS X.

Ultimately, 1Password 3 isn't insecure, but it won't have the benefit of OS security improvements and updated support for newer browsers (and their security improvements). And while we don't sell 1Password 4 directly anymore, upgrading to 1Password 5 will give you a license that will work in either. I hope this helps! :)

• Timo
    Timo
    Community Member

1Password 3 isn't insecure, but it won't have the benefit of OS security improvements and updated support for newer browsers (and their security improvements).

Wait, what?
    So, using 1PW 3 and its plugin with an up to date browser doesn't take advantage of browser security fixes?
    Like, for example, if there was a hypothetical XSS issue that affected FF plugins and it was fixed in the browser it would still be an issue for 1PW 3???

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Timo,

At the moment it isn't an issue but what @brenty was meaning was at some point you may run into compatibility issues where you will have to decide between running an older version of a browser or the loss of the 1Password 3 Browser Extension. We aren't there yet, the extension still runs and I'm not aware of any issues but I don't extensively use 1Password 3 any more to potentially notice a minor quirk.

I'm not a developer but if any of the browsers have released newer extension frameworks with security improvements that rely on the developer coding to take advantage then yes, our extension wouldn't as the last version for 1Password 3 was released January of last year. Assuming any browser fixe applies to all extensions then we would benefit.

Does that clarify the state of 1Password 3 and its extension?

• Timo
    Timo
    Community Member

if any of the browsers have released newer extension frameworks with security improvements that rely on the developer coding to take advantage then yes, our extension wouldn't as the last version for 1Password 3 was released January of last year. Assuming any browser fixe applies to all extensions then we would benefit.

Does that clarify the state of 1Password 3 and its extension?

Ahh!
    Yes it does, @littlebobbytables
    Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad lil bobby was able to clarify that. Just also keep in mind that while browser updates may benefit the extension and browser itself, that won't help 1Password or the underlying operating system. I always try to keep the whole system in mind. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.