1Password 4 (4.3.2) - Is it possible to change location of 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox?

samsam
samsam
Community Member

As the title says. I am trying to sort out sharing mom's primary vault with myself and siblings. Want to do it via Dropbox. Have 1Password 4 on Macs; 1Password 5 on some iOS devices. The problematic link in the chain is 1Password 4.3.2 on mom's iPad 2 (iOS 6.1.3).

All my syncing problems would be solved if I could move the location of my mom's 1Password.agilekeychain file to a shared folder in Dropbox. Can I get 4.3.2 on IOS to use this non-root Dropbox location?

If not, do you have any solutions? Is there some way to do this via iCloud sync? (Using the shared folder on Dropbox everywhere else and forcing my mom to do wifi sync between her iPad and Mac would complicate her life -- the exact opposite of what we're trying to achieve.)

Thanks.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@samsam: Sorry for the trouble! What you can do is place the 1Password.agilekeychain in the folder you want it in in Dropbox and then double-click it to have it open in 1Password. After than you will just need to point 1Password on the other devices to that same location just to make sure they're all on the same page.

iCloud sync requires 1Password 5 from the App Store (Mac or iOS). Apple does not allow non-App Store apps to support iCloud, and iCloud Drive itself requires iOS 8 or Yosemite. Dropbox is definitely the way to go in this situation.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• samsam
    samsam
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

Apologies for the delayed response -- was away and unable to deal with this during that time.

Unfortunately, unless I'm missing something, your response doesn't help me.

"After than you will just need to point 1Password on the other devices to that same location just to make sure they're all on the same page."

This was the whole point of my post/question. I am UNABLE to figure out how to point 1Password 4.3.2 on mom's iPad 2 (iOS 6.1.3) to an agilekeychain file that is in a non-root location in Dropbox.

Is this possible to do? If so, how does one go about doing it?

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

@samsam: Sorry for the confusion! I didn't realize you were moving the vault around manually. In that case, what you can do is edit the config file manually as well so that 1Password on all of your devices can easily find the vault in its new home:

1. Open Terminal (Spotlight search is the easiest way)
    2. Enter the following command: open -t ~/dropbox/.ws.agile.1password.settings
    3. (This opens the default text editor with the config file stored in Dropbox)
    4. Change the path to match the current vault location (default is 1Password/1Password.agilekeychain)
    5. (Path is relative to Dropbox, not an absolute system path)
    6. Save the file and set up Dropbox in 1Password on your other devices

Let me know how it turns out! :)

This discussion has been closed.