I need help upgrading then synching my devices.

I have 3.8.2.1 on my mac with a working database. I also downloaded 5.3.2, which now is on my phone (which never synched correctly on the older version anyway) and I have an iwatch as well. I need to get them all working. I don't know where to start. I exported my database on 3.8.2.1 using the export as well as 'to text'. not sure what to do next.

1Password Version: 3.8.2.1, 5.3.2
Extension Version: 3.9.21.90, 4.3.1.90
OS Version: OSX 10.10
Sync Type: dont know

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@annetb: The only way to sync between 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 5 for iOS is using Dropbox. You'll need to start by setting it up on your Mac.

However, if you're running OS X Yosemite, you could upgrade to 1Password 5 to take advantage of improvements to browser support, filling, and a lot of new features we've added over the years. Even if you do upgrade, 1Password 5 can still use your existing vault from 1Password 3. And either way, Dropbox is a good place to start, as it will allow you to sync your 1Password data between the versions of 1Password you use already and all current versions of 1Password across all platforms. I hope this helps! :)

• annetb
    annetb
    Community Member

thanks. I want to get them all up to 5. I've read that 5 can't read a v.3 vault, and I want to know the best way to export from 3 and import to 5, get my license into 5, etc. I love this product but I don't have days to spend on this.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @annetb,

Upgrading from 1Password 3 for Mac to 1Password 5 on a machine already running 1Password 3 is pretty easy :smile:

In terms of installing you would download 1Password for Mac (I'll cover that in a moment) and when you launch it for the first time it checks a number of locations for existing data. Two of those locations are where 1Password 3 for Mac will be default store the 1Password.agilekeychain. So as long as you haven't been heavily customising 1Password 3 I'd say you should be fine. When 1Password 5 finds an existing 1Password.agilekeychain it will import the contents and set up syncing to the existing .agilekeychain so that any changes to your 1Password 5 vault are carried over to the .agilekeychain.

Let's say you've already moved your 1Password.agilekeychain to Dropbox and configured 1Password for iOS to synchronise to it. Upgrading to 1Password 5 should be seamless with the syncing continuing afterwards.

Now to talk about acquiring 1Password 5. Here you have two options and I'll briefly cover the advantages of each.

• You can purchase 1Password 5 for Mac from Apple's Mac App Store. The key advantage here is you have access to iCloud Sync. Only apps or applications obtain via one of Apple's stores can access the required frameworks so if iCloud Sync is important to you then you would need to purchase the Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac.
    • You can purchase 1Password 5 for Mac from our AgileBits Store. You can't use iCloud Sync but all the other sync methods such as Dropbox are still available. As you're an existing 1Password 3 customer you can use your 1Password 3 licence key to obtain a discounted upgrade price, something we're unable to do in the Mac App Store. It's roughly half the price I believe.

No matter where you purchase 1Password 5 for Mac you would download from that store i.e. the App Store application if you purchase the Mac App Store version or from our AgileBits Download page page if you purchase the upgrade from us. Both will behave the same after that in terms of finding your 1Password.agilekeychain and continuing from there.

So the whole thing, if you decide to, should be pretty easy. If you do run into any issues though we are here to assist :smile:

• annetb
    annetb
    Community Member

thank you SO MUCH. It went seamlessly once you outlined the process and how to get started. Grateful!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad we could help @annetb :smile:

This discussion has been closed.