Master Password change not syncing through Wifi

Options
marcange
marcange
Community Member

Good morning from Toulon (France),
I'm using a MacBook Air running under OS X Yosemite 10.10.3, an iPhone 6 running under IOS 8.3 and an iPad 2 running under IOS 8.3
Concerning 1Password, the synchronization is through Wifi.
I was really hopeful with the last version of 1Password but I am now really disappointed.
As every 3 months, I changed the master password of 1Password on my Mac.
Immediately, I checked on my iPhone and on my iPad but nothing happened ; it is still the previous password that is in use on those 2 devices.
It is again the same situation than before !!! I don't understand to face the same problem...
What to do ?
Thank you for your help...
Best regards.
Marc

1Password Version: 5.3 530029
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: Wifi

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Have you tried the new password on the iPhone and iPad?

As I understand it, the way changes in passwords get accepted mean that the old password works until the first time you try the new password. At this point the new password should get accepted and the old one ceases to work.

Changing the Master Password regularly is not needed, and is not recommended.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @marcange,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with that! If you changed the master password on your Mac, the change should definitely sync to your iOS devices (it doesn't currently work the other way around). But you'll need to make sure you have the latest version of 1Password on your iPhone and iPad, which is currently version 5.4.2.

If you have the latest version on your iOS devices, this should work, but you'll need to follow these steps:

• Unlock 1Password on your iOS device with the old master password.
    • Allow it to fully sync.
    • Once the sync is complete, go to Settings > Security > Lock Now.
    • Try to unlock 1Password with the new master password.

The reason you need to do this is because the 1Password app doesn't sync until it's unlocked. Once it syncs, the new master should work.

Please try that and let us know how it goes. If for some reason you're still having trouble with that, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• marcange
    marcange
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,
    Thank you for your message.
    You speak about the version 5.4.2 but I just checked through the settings of the app an directly in the MacApp Store and there is nothing about this new version...
    Other point : even if I was late this time, my policy is to change the master password every 3 months. So I'm surprised to read (community moderator) that it is not recommended. Do you confirm ?
    Have a nice day.
    Marc

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @marcange,

This list should help a bit (I hope)

• 1Password for Mac (AgileBits Store) is at version 5.3.2
    • 1Password for Mac (Mac App Store) is at version 5.3
    • 1Password for iOS is at version 5.4.2

If you're checking the Mac App Store on your Mac then you won't find version 5.4.2 as the App Store application on your Mac only shows Mac applications. The easiest way to see what version of 1Password for iOS you are running is by checking out this link, Which version of 1Password am I running?. If you're not running 5.4.2 on your iOS device then it might be it needs updated via iOS' App Store app. Confusing as it uses the same name as the Mac but this one only shows iOS apps.

Assuming 1Password for iOS is up to date then the steps drew covered should force the 'sync' and acceptance of the new Master Password on your iOS device.

We don't recommend changing your Master Password on a regular basis it's true. I did try to find a page that explained this but we've been so busy migrating documents to a new system I can't see if it does indeed exist. I think this thread will do better justice than I can at the moment, How often do you change your passwords?. We recommend picking a strong Master Password once and leaving it at that. Now of course there are situations where maybe you need to change it. For example, somehow somebody has managed to obtain a copy of your vault. You would want to ensure not just that the Master Password has been changed but also the encryption keys are different (that doesn't happen with a simple Master Password change for technical reasons) as well as working through your vault to change all the passwords. Now given how long it would take to brute force a good Master Password some could argue there isn't any need to change all the passwords in your vault but for peace of mind it means that should the contents of your vault ever be obtained the information is already extremely out of date. That's something we can guide a user through if it's needed. Don't forget, your vault is very different from authentication on a site or a computer were access can be reset. Access to your vault is only by decrypting the vault and it cannot be reset. Does that help at all? and please do let us know how you get along with ensuring your existing Master Password is pushed to your iOS devices :smile:

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The AgileBits experts may have more to say about this, but here are a couple of reasons not to change the master password.

If you change it frequently, you increase the risk of forgetting it. And if you can't remember your master password, there is no way of getting your data back.

It doesn't matter if an attacker has your master password unless they can also get hold of your vault. And if they have a way of getting your vault, it is fairly certain that they can also get hold of the backups of your vault. And even if you have changed your master password, older backups will be encrypted by the old master password. So changing the master password gives something of a false sense of security.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If you change it frequently, you increase the risk of forgetting it.

Thanks @danco, that's a good point! :)

One thing I wanted to add to all this is that we do have some online documentation that might be helpful. Our User Guide article on Security Preferences mentions this:

A strong, memorable, and unique Master Password should generally not be changed. However, if your Master Password is weak and needs to be made stronger, or if you are using it for something else, we recommend strengthening and unique-ifying it.

In technical terms, your 1Password Master Password is an encryption password rather than an authentication password. Security advice that tells people to change passwords regularly does not apply to things like your 1Password Master Password. 1Password is like other high security tools such as SSH and PGP/GPG in this regard.

The links there lead to other helpful information about master passwords. And for more information about security in 1Password in general, I recommend taking a look at this knowledgebase article: Security and Privacy

I hope this helps! :)

• jrhetts
    jrhetts
    Community Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I hope I am not incorrect about this, but my understanding is:
    The 1Password Master Passphrase is, as Drew described in the post just above, an encryption key, not an access or authentication code. This means that it is not transmitted over the internet and susceptible to interception except in a heavily encrypted form by 1Password [e.g., when synching via WiFi or via Dropbox.]
    If someone managed to intercept that encrypted Master Passphrase, it would both be encrypted and of no use without also having obtained your personal Vault - as that is the only thing it gives access to through its function of permitting decryption of the information in the Vault.
    So, in reality, the only way someone could compromise your security would be to get possession of both your Vault and your Master Passphrase. The only realistic scenario for this would be to force you [say, at gun point] to give access to your device [with Vault] and Master Passphrase.
    Therefore, changing the Master Passphrase is unnecessary as it is not actually exposed to capture except as encrypted. Better to spend the effort on creating a very strong but memorable Master Passphrase, using for example Diceware.
    If I have got this wrong or my explanation is confusing, please correct me and move on.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jrhetts,

Much of what you said is correct, but there are a couple things I should clear up:

• Your master password is not the same as your encryption key. When creating a vault and choosing a master password, that password is used to encrypt a key, and that key encrypts the data in the vault. So, your master password doesn't actually decrypt your vault - it decrypts the key, and then that key decrypts your vault. That key doesn't change when you change the master password - 1Password uses the new master password to encrypt the same key.
    • Your master password is never transmitted over the internet, because it's not stored in your 1Password vault. In fact, it's not stored anywhere at all. This is part of what makes 1Password so secure (and incidentally, it is also the reason why we can’t recover a master password for you if you ever forget it). Just to reiterate, your master password is not stored anywhere, not even locally.

By the way, you might also be interested in this article from our blog which was posted a couple months ago: How 1Password syncs changes to your Master Password

Hopefully that helps! It's a lot of information and can be a bit confusing, but we're here for you if you have more questions. :)

• jrhetts
    jrhetts
    Community Member
    Options

Drew
    Thanks very much. I had a 'sense' of your first bullet, but I could not have articulated it. Both of your bullets do a great job of giving a clear explanation.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem at all, @jrhetts! I'm glad my explanation was helpful and clear - thanks for saying so! :)

This discussion has been closed.