iPad secure note missing text - landscape note versus portrait

Options
chabig
chabig
Community Member
edited June 2015 in iOS

Here's a strange quirk. I use a secure note keep my iCloud/AppleID password, along with my Recovery key and app-specific passwords. For some reason 1Password truncates the note field on the iPad in portrait orientation only. The Mac app displays the entire field, as does the iPhone, and the iPad in landscape orientation.

Here are both views (with the important parts deleted. Note how the iMessage and FaceTime line is missing from the portrait display.

I can't figure out what's going on, but I can force the last line to display on the iPad by adding more lines of text after the app-specific password. But even when I do that, it displays everything but the last line.

_1Password Version: Mac 5.3, iPhone 5.4.2, iPad 5.4.2
_Extension Version: Safari extension 4.3.1
_OS Version: Mac 10.10.3, iOS 8.3
_Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chabig,

In an attempt to resolve other rendering issues we've had in the past, we've made the note section a scrollable view inside an Item Detail. Why it's behaving in quite this odd fashion I'm not entirely sure but if you try scrolling just the note bit does the last line become visible?

Hopefully that will help with the Secure Note but related to this I'm wondering if you've considered the use of custom sections and fields to help store all of this information in a Login item? One example of how they can be put to good use is as follows

This allows each of the passwords to be easily copied while still containing everything. It's just a suggestion of course. I fell in love with custom sections and fields so I find them of great use in situations like these.

Regardless, please do let us know if you find scrolling works in the Note section.

• chabig
    chabig
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the comment. I know you have fields for app-specific passwords. I just haven't made the change yet but I plan to. And as for scrolling...yes I thought of that, and the field doesn't scroll in landscape mode. It's weird, and I wonder if there is something peculiar about the data in my field that could be highlighting a bug in the app. I know that sounds unlikely but I will send it to you privately to try out if you'd like. As far as I can tell, all of my other items scroll properly. I even created a new secure note and copied the existing information into it. It behaves the same.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chabig,

Certainly anything that can help us try and reproduce a problem is gratefully received.

Ideally what would be great is if you can edit the new secure note (assuming it's a duplicate) with bogus passwords and other sensitive data replaced and still observe the same behaviour. Then you could safely email a copy of the text to us at support+forum@agilebits.com and with a little luck we can reproduce the same behaviour. In the email if you can add a link to this thread and that way whoever calls dibs on your email first will be able to get themselves up to speed :smile: Does that sound like a good plan to you?

• chabig
    chabig
    Community Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I just figured something out after spending more time. I think there is a word wrapping bug. I have a line that includes a security code. The line is just long enough that it wraps to the line below. When it does, the field doesn't grow to accommodate the new size and the bottom line gets cut off.

If the security is just a few characters shorter or longer, the wrapping seems to work correctly, but here is an example note field that will demonstrate the problem. Create a new Secure Note and paste everything between the quotation marks into the note field, then view it on an iPad and notice the last line is not displayed on an iPad in either portrait or landscape!

"The length of certain lines forces a word wrap on iPad the causes the last lines of this field to be hidden in portait orientation.
    The code below is not a real security code.
    Keychain Access Security Code: HUK5-UR84-73NC-P2RT-8RRU-XD37

The line below won’t display on iPad
    This line doesn’t display on iPad"

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chabig,

Thank you, with your efforts I've been able to create a concise set of steps so that the devs can easily reproduce this. I took what you learned and compacted it down to:

ABCD-EFGH-IJKL-MNOP-QRST-UVWX-YZAB-C Can you see this line?

as an example that only shows in landscape mode. It clearly shows the issue, especially as merely deleting the character C at the end of the first line results in everything correctly being displayed. I can't say when this might get fixed I'm afraid but it is reported now thanks to you :smile:

ref: OPI-2777

• chabig
    chabig
    Community Member
    Options

I messed around with that line a bit, and if it's just the right length (and or subtract a few extra characters) the line won't display in either portrait or landscape mode. Obviously it's something rare, but now it can be fixed. Thanks for working with me on it.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chabig, all thanks goes to you for helping us narrow down the cause :smile: Developers all over the world are the same, if you go to them saying "X is broken" and nothing more they'll give you the evil eye or their own personal version of it. Go to them with a detailed report with reproducible steps as we've done and it's a much different reaction :wink: The way I see it, we've done everything we can to signpost the issue, it's up to them to resolve it now :smile: Hopefully we can get this ironed out.

This discussion has been closed.