Hide unused categories [feature request under consideration]

Options
GOODRIDDANCE
GOODRIDDANCE
Community Member
edited June 2015 in Mac

I´ve asked for that before 1 1/2 years.
It can´t be such a problem to integrate this little feature.
I don´t use every categorie, so I don´t want to see unused one´s...

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GOODRIDDANCE,

Thanks for keeping us honest about this request that you also requested here. :)

It is still under consideration and I've reminded our developers that it is important for you.

internal reference number: OPM-616

• GOODRIDDANCE
    GOODRIDDANCE
    Community Member
    Options

THX!
    Hopefully I don´t have to open a new topic in one year ;-)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

It's good enough for me that empty categories don't show in the side bar. On rare occasions, I'm happy to be reminded of the other categories when I want to add a new piece of data. I realize adding an option to hide categories wouldn't mean I would have to do so.

It's all about personal preferences.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Let's all hope not, @GOODRIDDANCE. :)

One thing you can do is toggle Hide/Show of the CATEGORIES section:

I know that's all or nothing but it may be helpful.

• GOODRIDDANCE
    GOODRIDDANCE
    Community Member
    Options

That is the problem: "It's good enough for me that empty categories don't show in the side bar." cause this isn´t true. Empty categories ARE shown in the sidebar!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Only empty Logins, Secure Notes, Credit Cards, and Identities "default" categories will show up in the sidebar. If other empty ones do appear there then please let us know since that would be a bug.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

Empty categories ARE shown in the sidebar!

Oops! So they are. I guess I have data in all categories. My apologies! The Password category appears and disappears, depending on whether it is empty, which I assumed applies to all categories.

• GOODRIDDANCE
    GOODRIDDANCE
    Community Member
    Options

See screenshot - Creditcard and Identities are shown in the sidebar. Both are empty!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've corrected post #7, which inaccurately said non-empty instead of empty. Sorry for any confusion, guys!

• GOODRIDDANCE
    GOODRIDDANCE
    Community Member
    Options

No problem, that only thing is you have effected the fact that I had just hoping that it is a BUG.
    So let's stick with "feature";-)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I’m sorry for digging up this old thread, but have there been any updates on this front? I don’t have a use for several categories like identities and secure notes and would prefer if these categories disappear as well when not used. With lots of tags, folders and security audit features, it’s becoming a little crowded in the sidebar.

Perhaps it would be possible to create dummy entries for new users (similar to the test vault), if awareness of some of 1Password’s features is desired.

• GOODRIDDANCE
    GOODRIDDANCE
    Community Member
    Options

So sjk - as feared i´ve opened now the 3rd request for the simple feature "hiding unused categories in the sidebar"
    How far the editing is the request?

see here the second thread 1 year after the 1st thread:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/176746#Comment_176746

Is it so difficult to integrate this feature?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015
    Options

@GOODRIDDANCE: Sorry for the confusion! Without knowing for certain the precise difficulty, I can tell you that it's more a matter of prioritizing resources, as with any feature or product.

It's certainly something we'd like to revisit in the future, but if and when we do it would likely be part of a larger UI/category redesign. We're just not going to drop everything to tweak the sidebar, though. It isn't a good use of resources, and it isn't fair to the other things that deserve our attention. Instead, we'll improve categories for everyone in the future if we can, by adding things that will benefit others as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.