What is the AgileBits Road Map? [We do not reveal our future plans]

Piggy
Piggy
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I am wondering what is happening with 1Password at AgileBits. Is there a major new Windows version on the horizon? Can you share the road map? Here is the background and reason I'm asking...

I've been a 1Password customer since the 1Password 1.0 Mac 1.0, a RoboForm customer for at least 12 years, and a LastPass customer for a year. I'm a LastPass customer because my employer officially endorses it for access to work sites. I've migrated back and forth between RoboForm and 1Password over the years, mostly due to migrating between Windows and Mac multiple times as my primary platform has changed. I'm back on Windows now and it's where I plan to stay.

Over the years I have watched as 1Password gained many features. You added support for Windows, you added an iPhone app, you added Dropbox support, different types of records (I really like this), and the list goes on and on. Thank you for this! Where I haven't seen much advancement in capabilities if we're speaking frankly here (and I am) is automatic login and form filling.

RoboForm automatic login works most of the time, on most every website I access. I have approximately 400 website logins and as I am actively migrating from RoboForm to 1Password I can tell you I pretty much use them all. (I am in IT.) RoboForm form filling, of which I have a dozen identities, is excellent. I have different identities because I may order something online and have it shipped to my home or business address, buy something for my sister or my wife or my kids and ship to them directly, etc.

1Password works a lot of the time, on a lot of websites. Sometimes I have to submit the login when RoboForm handles it fully automatically but it does work. Sometimes I want to fill in the login fields but not submit because I am logging in from my personal or business computers where I do or don't want the "remember me on this computer" option enabled or need to change something. (Is there a 1 Password fill but do not submit option that can be used on a case by case basis other than editing and toggling the login record setting? RoboForm has fill and fill & submit buttons.) Sometimes, it just doesn't work or I really have to finagle to get it to work. There are many websites where it takes a lot of effort to get 1Password to work (if at all) and much less effort to get RoboForm to work. Another feature of RoboForm is that it typically works on websites that have multiple login fields like in the body of the webpage vs. a drop down dialog box. 1Password is much more finicky about this.

The 1Password form filling capability does not work well. If I perform a search from the browser extension it launches from the same tab which seems illogical to me (existing or new is configurable in RoboForm). Often when I click don't save or the X in the corner of the dialog box my systems (both) hangs for a few seconds. Very annoying. I don't know what it's doing.

Other annoyances are slower than expected searches, dialog windows that are never tall (long enough) when logins are being edited and I need to get at the userid or password because 1Password didn't work correctly or it needed to be tweaked, column widths that reset to defaults after an edit, and rows that default to unsorted (I have reported this a couple of times over the years) where sort is possible. Some dialog boxes that don't even sort and seem to have a random order like browser extension search. 1Password browser extension and application maintain lock state separately. Unlocking one does not unlock the other. RoboForm just requires one unlock and all is unlocked. Since I've recently begun to actively migrate to 1Password and use it all the time I've experienced numerous hangs and crashes. I have sent debugging reports when the crashes happen. (Windows 7 Enterprise on a Dell and Windows 8.1 on a Surface Pro 3.)

There isn't an easy way to migrate from RoboForm to 1Password and a search turns up multiple, outdated in most cases, information. The RoboForm folks have seemingly made it difficult. There are probably a lot of RoboForm customers like me that would like to ditch them. I wish 1Password had an easy way to migrate everything but since there isn't, I'm doing it manually by logging in with RoboForm and saving with 1Password that is, when 1Password actually prompts me to save the login. Other times I'm clicking Settings > Save New Login. Why this option is burried under Settings is beyond me. In RoboForm you press Shift-Ctrl-Alt while submitting the form and it will prompt to save or overwrite similar to how 1Password works. RoboForm is just easier to use.

After reading all this you may be wondering why am I switching to 1Password when clearly RoboForm works better for me? RoboForm while it "just works" doesn't get new features. Year after year, nothin'. My money is on 1Password for the long term. LastPass is ugly but it supports Linux which would be handy but I figure some day you'll add Linux support, so I will wait. It's a "nice to have" in my book. Not a necessity.
So I am wondering where 1Password is going. The new Synapse Brain feature is cool but I have to add my email address every time and there isn't anyplace where I can track my submissions (is there?) Since I work in IT and currently at an enterprise software company I will tell you what I tell the product managers: If you want to see what the competition does better and really understand where we are lacking install their product and use it - really use it - to fully understand what they do well and we do not.

Respectfully submitted...

P.S. Please add "about" to the browser extension so that I can fill out the browser extension version field below.

1Password Version: 4.5.0.574
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Piggy,

I'll address this one:

There isn't an easy way to migrate from RoboForm to 1Password and a search turns up multiple, outdated in most cases, information. The RoboForm folks have seemingly made it difficult. There are probably a lot of RoboForm customers like me that would like to ditch them...

Yes, Roboform has made it almost impossible for users to leave. That shows their weakness.

You need the 6.99 version on Windows - from there, you can export and import.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

Is there a major new Windows version on the horizon? Can you share the road map?

I'm afraid we do not share our future plans. That being said, we are very busy.

We have desktop apps for OS X and Windows. We have mobile apps for iOS and Android. We're committed to these platforms, and keep releasing new (beta) versions for them.

We recently released a very early version of an universal app that we refer to as "1Password Modern".

Our JavaScript team is constantly improving 1Password in your web browser (aka "1Password Brain").

Where I haven't seen much advancement in capabilities if we're speaking frankly here (and I am) is automatic login

This is by design. We do not believe in automatic filling because it can be a security risk.

Sometimes I want to fill in the login fields but not submit

You can configure your Login item for this. Go into 1Password, edit your Login item, and then under "Auto-Submit" please open the drop-down and click on: "Never".

There are many websites where it takes a lot of effort to get 1Password to work

Every now and then, the web site might be out of sync with what 1Password has recorded. Whenever this happens, we ask you to manually save a new Login item:

1. Navigate to the web site
    2. Enter your username and password, but do NOT submit the Login page
    3. Click on the 1Password button
    4. Click on: Settings > Save New Login

From here, you can create a new Login item (or overwrite an existing Login item).

rows that default to unsorted (I have reported this a couple of times over the years) where sort is possible

I'm sorry I have missed your reports. Once you have clicked on a column, then 1Password should remember your preference and persist your sorting. Assuming we have a bug, do you happen to have consistent, reproducible steps? I would love to reproduce and fix this problem for you.

1Password browser extension and application maintain lock state separately. Unlocking one does not unlock the other.

They should. Is this setting on? File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Browsers > When unlocking the application, also unlock 1Password in the browser

Other times I'm clicking Settings > Save New Login. Why this option is burried under Settings is beyond me.

Because Auto-Save should "just work".

Please add "about" to the browser extension so that I can fill out the browser extension version field below.

Good suggestion. I'll be adding this soon. Thanks!

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member

Hi, I think we mis-communicated about auto-login. I mentioned that I haven't seen much advancement in auto log in and you responded about auto-form filling. I understand how blindly filling in forms is not desirable.

So I went through all the selections and it's the "favorites" section that does not save the last sort select between sessions. The others all seem to work now.

Also checked on lock vs. unlock. Unlocking from the browser extension does NOT unlock 1Password executable. Unlocking 1Password executable DOES unlock the browser extension.

Thanks for your help.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

I haven't seen much advancement in auto log in

@Piggy We recently released a new "brain" (this is what we call our filling engine): https://blog.agilebits.com/2015/05/06/synapse-and-1passwords-new-brain/

So I went through all the selections and it's the "favorites" section that does not save the last sort select between sessions. The others all seem to work now.

@Piggy This is by design. We sort your Favorites by the order you yourself have given them in either the Mac or the Windows version. Yes you can click on a column and then sort your Favorites by title, but when you relaunch the application we then revert this (otherwise, there would be no way of going back to the sort order they have in your vault).

Unlocking from the browser extension does NOT unlock 1Password executable.

@Piggy It does, but it requires the executable to be running. If it is not running, then the browser extension cannot unlock it. This is why unlocking 1Password from the tray icon will first unlock the executable, which will then unlock the browser extension. When you close the executable then you don't really close it -- you minimize it to the tray icon where it will then keep running (albeit somewhat suspended).

• Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member

@svondutch, when I click the close dialog box in 1Password executable it closes. Is there an option to have it minimize other than clicking the minimize button instead?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

when I click the close dialog box in 1Password executable it closes

@Piggy While it might seem so, what it really does is minimize itself to the tray icon. You can see it running in Task Manager.

Is there an option to have it minimize other than clicking the minimize button instead?

@Piggy Not really.

1. The minimize button will minimize the app to the taskbar.
    2. The close button will minimize the app to the tray icon.
    3. File > Exit which will cause the app to really close.
This discussion has been closed.