UK Site, Britishgas.co.uk, some credit card details not autofilling

I make regular payments to this site, 1password is never able to auto fill my Visa start date and start month. They are correctly filled in the 1password entry for the card.

Anything I can do to make this work a bit better?

1Password Version: 530029
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: OS X Yosemite
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kimaldis,

Unfortunately you have to be a British Gas customer to access the relevant page. There are only a couple of us based in the UK but I shall ask the others and see if they are customers too and maybe they can offer more knowledgeable advice.

Probably the best way to help though is the next time you need to make a payment, load up the page as normal and attempt to fill your credit card details. Before you correct any bad or missing fields, open up 1Password mini using either the keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘\ or clicking on the 1Password Browser Extension icon and then click on the cog icon in the top right hand corner. This will bring up the settings menu for 1Password mini. In there you will see a Report Website Issue option that will open a new tab at our filling issue reporter site. It will already know you tried to fill a credit card item and there's a comment box where you can let us know what did fill properly and of course what didn't. That will allow us to see some of the forms details such as field type, ID etc. without giving away any information that you tried to fill into the fields. In lieu of finding another British Gas customer this is probably the only way to get us the right information.

I shall ask the others though in case they can assist directly.

• kimaldis
    kimaldis
    Community Member

If it helps at all, I grabbed the HTML for the two fields it won't fill from the site. I can grab more if you need it, although it might need to wait until next month when there's something to pay again.

(optional) Select 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Select 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015

• kimaldis
    kimaldis
    Community Member

OK, that didn't go so well. Maybe this will work:

<p class="cb">
            <span>
                <label for="paymentCardStartDate">
                    Card start date
                </label>
                       <span class="description">(optional)</span>
            </span>
           <label for="startMonth" class="displaynone">Months</label>
            <span class="select-box-error  selbox-xxs">
            <select class="select-box selbox-xxs" id="startMonth" name="startMonth" aria-required="false">
                  <option value="">Select</option>

<option value="0">1</option>
                               <option value="1">2</option>
                               <option value="2">3</option>
                               <option value="3">4</option>
                               <option value="4">5</option>
                               <option value="5">6</option>
                               <option value="6">7</option>
                               <option value="7">8</option>
                               <option value="8">9</option>
                               <option value="9">10</option>
                               <option value="10">11</option>
                               <option value="11">12</option>
             </select>
         </span>           
        <label for="startYear" class="displaynone">Years</label>  
         <span class="select-box-error  selbox-xxs ">
                <select class="select-box selbox-xxs" id="startYear" name="startYear" aria-required="false">
                        <option value="">Select</option>

<option value="2007">2007</option>
                                         <option value="2008">2008</option>
                                         <option value="2009">2009</option>
                                         <option value="2010">2010</option>
                                         <option value="2011">2011</option>
                                         <option value="2012">2012</option>
                                         <option value="2013">2013</option>
                                         <option value="2014">2014</option>
                                         <option value="2015">2015</option>
                 </select>
            </span> 
                <span class="error-nxtline error-field"></span>
        </p>

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kimaldis,

I've been talking to the developers and I learnt something quite surprising. I suspect neither of us knew but it seems we currently don't fill in the start date. As you can imagine, websites vary a lot in terms of all sorts of under the hood decisions. There isn't such a thing as a standard set of names of IDs used for certain fields etc. This bit I already knew. I also knew we essentially make educated guesses, rules of thumb to decide what fields are which. What I didn't know was that experimenting with adding the start date could cause instability with the expiry date field. So this isn't to say it won't ever fill in the start date, but to ensure reliability with the expiry date, the one you can guarantee is definitely requested, the start date was omitted for now at least. As I think about it, I can't remember if I always get asked for a start date or not, I'll have to remember and check the next few online payments I make. I'm now also wondering if it's seen more in certain countries or not.

Anyway, I'm adding your query to the feature request as a vote to see it included as that will no doubt be your response to this revelation. I'm either not paying enough attention or not buying enough online to have not picked that up before now.

ref: OPX-1012

• kimaldis
    kimaldis
    Community Member

I'll try and keep an eye open too, it's a good point.

If I remember correctly, British Gas mark the start date as optional but still insist on it. From what I remember building a shopping cart for my own site, they can check the start date if they wish but they don't have to. Although I could be wrong.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

British Gas mark the start date as optional but still insist on it

Given my experiences with Scottish Power lately that sounds about right >_<

This discussion has been closed.