Wifi Sync in Android

13»

Comments

• imperator
    imperator
    Community Member

Adding my vote for WIFI sync ...

• Thanks for sharing your findings with us. I'm very happy to hear you are able to combine 1Password's folder sync with BitTorrent Sync in the meantime!

• Thanks for your vote @imperator‌.

• cbraz
    cbraz
    Community Member

I keep wanting to try 1password, but with no wifi sync, or an alternative to dropbox (gdrive) there's no way I can use it.
    Some people are not so much worried about dropbox security, more with the people they do business with.

• We completely understand and our team is looking into the implementation of both WiFi sync and Google Drive support for a future release.

• greggarious
    greggarious
    Community Member

So, this request for Wi-fi sync Android has been going for a YEAR (DEC 13 2013) and Beta developers haven't included it yet! Come on 1Password, surely this is long enough.

• Fierry
    Fierry
    Community Member

1 more upvote for Wi-Fi Sync in the Android version ASAP.. I can only use it when Wi-Fi Sync is implemented

• peri
    edited December 2014

@greggarious‌ 1Password 4 for Android was released in June of 2014. It included some huge improvements on 1Password Reader. Since then, we've implemented even more highly requested and big changes. WiFi sync support is one of those big changes which we haven't yet managed to implement. That doesn't mean we're not working on it. :)

@Fierry‌ Thanks for the feedback! I'm adding your vote!

• naartjie
    naartjie
    Community Member

Why are you guys so secretive about what you're working on?

+1 for wifi sync in android here as well ;-)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Why are you guys so secretive about what you're working on?

It's because they don't want to disappoint their user base if last minute complications prevent an pre-announced feature from being completed. This has happened before with WebDAV support.

Personally I think they should be far more open; most of us are big boys and girls and can cope with the odd disappointment.

• saad
    edited February 2015

WiFi sync is being reviewed by our developers but I don't have a timeframe of when it will become available. Thanks for the vote @naartjie!

• @RichardPayne You know us too well! ;)

• mnott@mnsoft.org
    mnott@mnsoft.org
    Community Member

What really is the issue with all this sync about? Why not just support webdav, which will open up all sorts of *cloud services (OwnCloud, SeaFile, ...). This way, you put your users in control. There is no reason why that shouldn't work. I'm operating my own sea file server, exposed via HTTPS, and am using all my other apps that share data (e.g., GoodReader, OmniFocus) to synchronize via that service. I'd happily volunteer helping with programming a webdav connector...

• Thanks for the suggestion, @mnott@mnsoft.org! I'll pass your message along to our devs for their consideration. :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@mnott@mnsoft.org they tried WebDAV before but found there to be insurmountable performance issues. Have a look at this blog by @jpgoldberg. Look at the "Getting More Technical" section.

• peri
    edited February 2015

Good catch, Richard! :)

I knew this was something we'd discontinued, but I wasn't sure if it would be doable at this point or in the future. At any rate, I've passed the suggestion along in case it's something our developers want to reconsider, though as noted in the blog you posted, it isn't very likely.

Thanks for the info!

• Wi-Fi sync is now available in our latest beta update to 1Password. (Version 4.5B1)

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    edited June 2015

That's good news. But are there any instructions on how to set it up? Will it sync to a Mac computer (OS X 10.10.3) running 1P 5.3.2?

• Yogie
    Yogie
    Community Member

Cool how do I install the beta to test the feature?

• peri
    edited June 2015

@Yogie, you can install the beta version of 1Password 4 for Android by first signing up for our beta newsletter. After you sign up, you'll be emailed a link to download the APK.

Make sure to keep your eye out for new newsletters, as the beta version expires and needs to be updated every 90 days.

@ag1pwun, it will certainly sync with your Mac provided that both devices are connected to the same WiFi network. The instructions are very similar to those on iOS. Here's what you'll do:

1. Open 1Password 5 on your Mac
    2. From the menu bar, click Window > Wi-Fi Sync (make sure this window stays open on your Mac).
    3. Launch 1Password 4 on your Android.
    4. Tap "I've used 1Password before."
    5. Tap Wi-Fi Sync.
    6. Locate your Mac in the list of devices and tap it.
    7. On your Android, enter the secret displayed in the WiFi sync window on your Mac (make sure to enter it exactly as it appears on the Mac, with spaces included).
    8. Tap Start Sync.
    9. Enter your vault's master password.

Once the password is validated, sync will begin. Give a little time for the initial sync to complete, and that should do it!

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions. :)

• CootjeNL
    CootjeNL
    Community Member

@peri, I tried your steps to enable sync between android device and my Mac, but is doesn't seem to work. My Mac doesn't show up as a wifi-server.

Version information of 1Password for the Mac:
    1Password 5
    Version 5.3.2 (532001)
    Agile Web Store

Version information of 1Password for Android:
    Version 4.5b3 (20150612)

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note Edge (SM-N915FY) with Android 5.0.1.

Both are connected on the same WIFI router. While I'm searching for a WIFI server, the screen with WIFI server and secret is on top of my screen.

Is this a known issue?

BTW: It would be very nice if you could switch from for example Dropbox to Wifi Sync without resetting the app.

Kind regards!

• Hey @CootjeNL. Sorry to hear you are not able to configure Wi-Fi sync. :( It sounds like there might be something blocking the Wi-Fi sync connection on your Mac, such as a firewall. Could you send us a diagnostic report from your Mac? It will really help us get a better understanding of your Android environment and device settings. Please follow these instructions to create the report and we will take a look into it. Thanks!

As for your second request, we are looking to add support for reconfiguring sync in the near future. Thanks for the feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.