Unable to load 1P Pro on MacBook Pro

Options
Ewell
Ewell
Community Member

I am unable to load 1P Pro on my MacBook Pro! I loaded in on my iMAC, iPhone, & iPad. I have read a whole lot of stuff on the Support Forum and have not found any answers. I purchased 1P Pro from Apple. I contacted AppleCare. I attempted all of their suggestions with no success. They finally responded that 1P Pro was unable to run on a MacBook Pro and that should contact AgileBit.

1Password Version: 5.3 (5300029)
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

1PW Pro is for iOS devices, and is available via iTunes store (Apps section) or the App Store app on an iOS device.

1PW for Mac is available from the Mac App Store (the App Store program running on your Mac) and also direct from AgileBits.

As you have it on your iMac, I am guessing (from the version number) that you bought it from the Mac App Store. If so, log in to the App Store on your Macbook Pro, using the same Apple ID, and you will be able to download it.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ewell,

So just a bit of terminology to make sure we understand each other.

Only 1Password for iOS has Pro features, it's what we labelled the 'premium' features that might entice users to go from the basic (and free) version of 1Password for iOS to paying customers. This is new to 1Password 5 for iOS as before that 1Password for iOS used the standard pay model, you had to purchase 1Password for iOS before you could download it.

1Password for Mac is somewhat more complicated. We sell it in both our AgileBits Store but also via Apple's Mac App Store. If you download 1Password for Mac via our AgileBits Download page you can try 1Password for Mac for 30 days in a trial mode. There is no equivalent for the Mac App Store version though. The only way to download 1Password for Mac (Mac App Store) is to purchase it via Apple's Mac App Store and then it is linked to your Apple ID, just like all Mac App Store and iOS app purchases.

I would suggest checking out our guide, Which version of 1Password am I running? on your iMac. That will tell you what version you're running there.

Along with this information, it might be important to know what version of OS X you are running on the MacBook Pro. I see above that you said 10.10.3 but I just want to confirm that is your MacBook Pro and not the iMac.

Now if you are running the Mac App Store version and there are real issues then sadly the ball is in Apple's court. We have zero control over the Mac App Store and in fact Apple don't even tell us who purchases 1Password. What I can say is if you are logged into the App Store application on your MacBook Pro, using the same Apple ID as you use on your iMac, then 1Password should appear in the Purchases tab of the App Store application. If it does not appear there it is worth checking that the application hasn't been accidentally hidden, with information on this in this Apple KB article, Hide and unhide purchases in the Mac App Store. If you are positive you have purchased 1Password for Mac (Mac App Store) and indeed you are running it on your iMac but still cannot download it on your MacBook Pro you will sadly have to go back to Apple. Apple maintain full control over payment, authorisation/licensing and distribution of the applications in their stores and while we would love to help there's nothing we can do or say to Apple.

If you're running our AgileBits Store version that is a different story. You would have purchased direct from our AgileBits Store and we supply a licence file that you use to register 1Password for Mac. Then we will need to make sure you are downloading the right version of 1Password for Mac for the version of OS X that you're running and if needed we will help you obtain another copy of your licence file and show you how to register 1Password for Mac.

So I suggest we confirm where you purchased 1Password for Mac and what version of OS X is on your MacBook Pro and take it from there :smile:

• Ewell
    Ewell
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Littlebobbytables,

Thank you so much. From the info I got from You and Apple care I realized i had no choice but, as much as I hate too, :'( I had to buy 1Password again for my notebook.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi @Ewell,

I'm sorry you've been having such trouble with this! If you previously purchased the Mac version of 1Password from the Mac App Store, and if you were signed into the Mac App Store with the same Apple ID you used to make that purchase, I don't know why you weren't able to install it again from the Mac App Store on your MacBook Pro.

They finally responded that 1P Pro was unable to run on a MacBook Pro

The term "Pro" has only been used to refer to the iOS version of 1Password, and not the Mac version. iOS apps don't work on Macs since iOS devices and Macs use different operating systems that require different apps. So, in your original post, it sounds like maybe you had purchased the iOS version of 1Password (from the iOS App Store or iTunes) but not the Mac version. However, that's really just a guess - as littlebobbytables mentioned, we don't receive any customer information from Apple when someone buys 1Password from one of their app stores (Apple is in full control of that).

If you did previously purchase the Mac version of 1Password from the Mac App Store, you shouldn't need to buy it again, and normally I would suggest contacting Apple for help, but it sounds like you've already done that. I'm sorry we aren't able to be more helpful in this situation! But if you have more questions or run into problems using 1Password, please let us know, and we'll be happy to help.

• Ewell
    Ewell
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ewell ,

I'm so glad that Drew was able to help you out here! I hope that 1Password works perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any further questions, you know where to find us. :)

This discussion has been closed.