Wiped MacBook clean, need to reinstall 1Password

medean2201
medean2201
Community Member
edited June 2015 in Mac

Backed up my MacBook and wiped it clean to install Yosemite.Need to reinstall 1password app, but not sure if I should just drag the old one from my external drive or download it fresh. If I should download it fresh, how do I do that?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• medean2201
    medean2201
    Community Member

Today I backed up my MacBook and then wiped it clean, to install Yosemite. All done, but rather than restore everything from my external drive, Apple recommended that I drag certain things back manually. For Apps, they recommended that I simply download it again rather than drag in the app I backed up on my external drive. What should I do for 1Password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    KB Article: purchase-verification

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Never harms to download again. Where did you get 1PW, from the Mac App Store or direct from AgileBits web store? If from the App Store, go there, sign in, and look under purchases. If direct, go the AgileBits site and download.

More important is the data. Did you have sync set up, either Dropbox or iCloud? When we know that, and which version of 1PW you have, we can advise you on recovery of the data.

Or (but if you previously had problems on your Mac, this may not be a good idea), Migration Assistant would move stuff over from the backup.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @medean2201,

The answer from danco is spot-on: Mac App Store purchases can be re-downloaded from the Purchases section in the Mac App Store. Or if you bought a license from the AgileBits Store, you can get 1Password from our download site and activate it with your license.

If you had been syncing 1Password with iCloud or Dropbox, you should be able to choose that same sync option when you set up 1Password. If you need to retrieve a backup of your 1Password data from the backup you made of your Mac, we can help you find that (just let us know if you're using the AgileBits Store or Mac App Store version of 1Password). Thanks!

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I hadn't even bothered with the matter of license activation. Because there is a fair chance (I think it depends on when the original was installed, as there have been recent improvements) bringing over the data may well automatically bring the license.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@danco, that's true - and something I often forget! ;) As stated in this knowledgebase article:

To help show our appreciation, 1Password has added your license file as an attachment to a Software License item for safekeeping. If you install 1Password on another Mac of yours and sync your vault, 1Password will register itself. Neat, eh?

To be honest, I haven't tested it myself, but if for some reason it doesn't work automatically, it should be easy to add the license file by using the link in the license emails we send out.

• medean2201
    medean2201
    Community Member

I re-downloaded it, but it gives me a choice of "I'm new to 1Password" or "I've used 1Password before" - which do I use? When it asks me to choose a Master Password, can I just use my previous one?

• medean2201
    medean2201
    Community Member

Is there a number I can call so someone can talk me through this??? I have been at it for hours now, and I am getting no response through this chat forum. I need to recover my information. I emailed for my license file, and it was sent to me. But I still can't access anything on 1Password. Please help me, I am really frustrated and don't know what to do.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

The thing is that the data is yours and yours alone to decide what to do with (sync to Dropbox, keep a copy on a backup drive, etc). You mentioned an external drive, so I am hoping your data is safe on that, and can be brought over.

And we still need to know whether you bought from AgileBits or from the Mac App Store, as the data are in slightly different places depending on the version.

• medean2201
    medean2201
    Community Member
    edited June 2015

I bought from AgileBits. Yes, I backed everything up to an external drive. But I don't know what file to look for, to drag back over to my MacBook hard drive.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Right, that give us important information. An AgileBits staff member will be along to tell you what to do. If you don't want to wait till then, the following should work, and anyway won't be a major issue if it doesn't.

Click on "I have used 1PW before". When it asks where your data is, you should be able to choose the data on the external drive. It is in your Library folder on the drive (your personal Library, not the Library folder on the top level of the drive), Application Support, where it may be named 1Password 4 (even if you are on 1PW5)

• medean2201
    medean2201
    Community Member

No, in Application Support there is no 1Password file.

• medean2201
    medean2201
    Community Member

When I didn't hear back from anyone, I tried selecting "I'm new to 1Password" just to open something and try to get things restored. I created a new vault (using my same master password) and a new vault opened, and recognized me and my license. But it is empty. How do I recover all my logins, secure notes, etc.?

• medean2201
    medean2201
    Community Member

The only place on my external drive where anything is labeled 1Password is in Backups>Latest>MacintoshHD>Applications. It is called 1Password4. I dragged that over to the Applications folder on my hard drive, but I still have no data recovered.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2015

That would just be the program, which you don't need to copy across.

What sort of a backup do you have. I was sort of assuming that it was a clone, in which case your Library folder would be visible.

But if it was a Time Machine backup, it would be trickier, though still not too difficult. You would have to open your Library folder (in the Finder, hold down Alt and enter the Go menu, when you will find it; it is hidden by default, which is why the Alt key is needed). And then enter Time Machine and go to a suitable day and choose Application Support. That should find it.

And if you used a different backup method to these two, then we would have to do more to search for it. Have you been able to find your personal Library folder on the external drive?

It probably need an AgileBits person to respond, which they will but often have a lot of threads to respond to.

• medean2201
    medean2201
    Community Member

Thanks for responding. It was a Time Machine backup. I went to the Go menu and opened Library. I then went in Time Machine back to my latest backup. I found Application Support, and in there is a file called 1 Password. Do I drag that whole file? If not, what do I drag from it? (Within Password there are 3 files, "Backup" "Data" and "Watchtower") And, where should I drag it to on my Hard Drive?

• medean2201
    medean2201
    Community Member

Is anyone there?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

Hi @medean2201,

Apologies for the delay in response here; our forums have been pretty busy the past few days, and each time a post is added to a thread, that thread is moved to the newest spot in the forums, so if we're trying to catch up with oldest posts (as we often do), we won't see it as quickly.

Looks like you found your Time Machine backup of
    ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/. That's great! I'd recommend copying that 1Password 4 folder into the ~/Library/Application Support/ folder on your hard drive, and it can be used to completely replace the 1Password 4 folder that's there now (since your new vault is empty).

Then restart the Mac, launch 1Password, and you should be up and running with your vault! Let us know how it shakes out. :)

• medean2201
    medean2201
    Community Member

Did as you instructed. I launched 1Password and put in may Master Password, and an empty vault opened. None of my data is there. Please advise.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

Hey @medean2201,

Hmm, that's unexpected. Just to confirm, did you move the 1Password 4 folder (containing folders called "Backups," "Data" and "Watchtower") from Time Machine into the same/corresponding place on your hard drive, and then delete the 1Password 4 folder there that you were replacing? If you haven't yet, delete the 1Password 4 folder that was created after the Yosemite install (and keep the one you dragged over from Time Machine). Be careful with this, you do not want to delete the Time Machine version of this folder. That's where your data is.

If you go into 1Password > Preferences > Backup, do you have any backups dated before you installed Yosemite? If so, restore from one of those. I look forward to hearing how that goes.

• medean2201
    medean2201
    Community Member

No, there is nothing in 1Password>Preferences>Backup. I moved the 1Password folder from Time Machine into the same space on my hard drive. I deleted the 1Password folder that was there. I restarted the computer. I launched 1Password. Now I get the same screen as when I first started this whole thing ("I'm New To 1Password" "I've Used 1Password Before" - what do I do? Nothing is working.

• medean2201
    medean2201
    Community Member

I've been at this for two days now. I need to speak to someone on the phone. Will you please tell me how to reach a person live?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

Thanks for that follow-up, @medean2201. Something has gotten mixed up here, so I'm going to send you an email in a moment to get you more immediate help.

For such a widely-used product, we are a pretty small team, so we simply aren't able to run an effective inbound support hotline at this point, but we will be able to offer more direct help via email. I apologize for the frustration you're experiencing, and I assure you we do want to help you sort this out and get you back up and running with your 1Password data ASAP.

Thanks for bearing with us!
    ref: HTV-88959-255

This discussion has been closed.