New 1Password keyboard

2»

Comments

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

Is the new keyboard going to get the key "popup" that was introduced right around Ice Cream Sandwich when pressing on the keyboard? I find it frustratingly hard to type my password without that visual feedback that my fingers are touching the correct letter. You can see examples of the key popup with this Google search:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=android+keyboard+popup&es_sm=91&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zxX_VLD1EsKqNp-IhMgK&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1272&bih=711#tbm=isch&q=android+keyboard+ice+cream+sandwich+popup&imgdii=_

• mortstar
    mortstar
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

If you are using Google Keyboard (I haven't tested any others) you can long hold the 'space' key and it pops up the keyboard switching menu. This makes switching to the 1Password keyboard really easy. It would be great if you could add the same functionality in to the 1Password Keyboard.

• On Android Lollipop, there is a keyboard switch icon just below the keyboard that allows you to switch between keyboards. For pre-Lollipop devices, we will look into adding a way to switch away from the 1Password keyboard. Thanks for the suggestion.

• @EnerJi Yes! We are planning to add support for this.

• Badsey
    Badsey
    Community Member

Love the keyboard idea, just needs to stand up to the basics of at least the Google Keyboard

• geovanisouza92
    geovanisouza92
    Community Member

The issues with the previous method (about visual positioning) are true, but the keyboard just doesn't fit on a nice workflow...

I think that an earlier suggestion about using a notification to launch the app, combined with the Accessibility Service to identify login fields are what 1Password needs, instead of compete with well-established keyboards like Google Keyboard or SwiftKey, even for a few minutes.

Another thing to think about is the use of a bubble to "popout" a window over the actual app, similar to what (Facebook) Messenger does.

• Thank you for the alternative suggestions. We are currently working on several improvements to the 1Password keyboard. Please keep an eye out on beta updates and let us know what you think.

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

when do you think you will add the azerty layout on your keyboard. I can't imagine the RC without.

• dslater
    dslater
    Community Member

Being able to toggle between the 1Password and my regular keyboard is about the only way I'll use the feature. I rely far too much on my Ginger keyboard. I may also have a problem with 1Password's keyboard rejecting my login, though in fairness that may be nothing other than my fat fingers miskeying on your keyboard. Either way, I cannot unlock 1Password from the 1Password keyboard.

• dslater
    dslater
    Community Member

Lollipop switch found and activated. 1Password key inactive if I do it that way. I'll wait this feature on further development as it may be a vision/fat fingers issue at my end. :)

• Hey there! Thanks for the feedback on our custom keyboard! :)

While we are hoping to improve the keyboard for future releases, the azerty layout is not currently an option. I'll add your vote for that, though!

@dslater, I'm sorry about the troubles you're having typing your master password with the 1Password keyboard. We are working to improve the keyboard's usability, but for the meantime, I recommend enabling a PIN code, which would eliminate the need for entering your master password all the time. Also, you can long press on the spacebar in order to quickly switch between keyboards.

Let us know if you have any further feedback or suggestions!

• mzel
    mzel
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

@saad My suggestion to the switch back and forth problem: Automatically switch to 1P keyboard only on those screens where it had been used to fill the login, and switch back to the user preferred one right back. I do remember there was no way to figure this out on Android back then, but may be some things changed. IMHO this is a better solution than to implement all the missing features of a full blown keyboard. You never will be able to fill all the needs of thousands of customers who already got used to dozens of off-the-shelf keyboards, and each has his own preference

• Thanks for the suggestion! As far as I know, it's not currently a viable option for us to automatically switch keyboards. However, we've recently added the ability to long press on the space bar for a quick switch.

I'll go ahead and pass your suggestion along to our developers for their consideration.

• boris85
    boris85
    Community Member

Wouldn't say that I'm happy with the keyboard switching solution, especially since many 3d party keyboards do not have an option for fast keyboard-switching. Nevertheless, can we expect some localized keyboard layouts for the final 4.1 release?

• We do plan on bringing localization to the keyboard very soon, but it will not make it to the 4.2 release on the Play Store. Since you're on the beta program, you are likely to see it implemented much sooner. Thanks for your feedback.

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member

Thanks for this information @saad
    I'm surprised you decided to go to GA ignoring a lot of user who are not using a US keyboard layout.

• You're welcome. There is definitely room for improvements to the keyboard and we plan to include many of them in a future release! :)

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

@saad I'm not sure if this has been raised previously, but I recently discovered that the 1Password keyboard does not provide a way to fill passwords when it's displaying a number pad.

To clarify: I have an app that uses a long numeric codes for both its User ID and Passwords. When I go to fill the User ID and Password, the keyboard switches to a "numbers only" keyboard (much like an external keyboard's numeric keypad). Even though I'm using the 1Password keyboard, there is no padlock button to fill the User Name and Password.

Is this something that will be added in a future release?

• @EnerJi We added the 1Password icon to launch the filling interface in the numeric layout in 4.2.1 beta 3. Can you confirm you are seeing this on the latest beta release?

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

@saad I was on Beta 1 for some reason (no update notification). I've updated to Beta 3, and I see the padlock icon now in the numeric layout. Thanks!

• Thanks for the update! That's good news. :)

Let us know if you need anything else!

• dave031
    dave031
    Community Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IU6EeBpO4_0

Sunrise just released a keyboard to schedule a meeting with people. I feel like the way they are handling what they keyboard does brilliantly and i think its something you fine folks should think about doing. Here's why:

1. It doesn't try to be a keyboard, it shows me a mini calendar to suggest a time to someone. 1P could do something similar by allowing me to switch to their "keyboard" and that then prompts me to enter my master password followed by my logins (which could be auto detected), a search field to find them (this needs to be on the top level, its ridiculous that i have to click so many times to start a search) an ability to save a new login and generate a new password.
    2. Include a button to switch back to the previous keyboard, the keyboard button in the Meet keyboard switches back to my previous one. If they figured it out, you guys should be able to as well.
    3. Sunrise is focusing on what they do best, calendaring and not trying to make a better keyboard than what swiftkey is doing. You folks should focus like they are. Make the 1P keyboard the best way to use 1P, so filling in logins and saving new ones. Leave the actual keyboard stuff to the people who are spending millions of dollars developing them.

Can't wait for your next release, keep up the awesome work!

• Thanks for the info, @dave031. :)

We do understand that there is room for improvement on our keyboard, and our developers are working on several improvements.

That said, your point is well taken. We have received requests from a few users who would like to see 1Password integration with third-party keyboards, and we've passed this feedback along to our developers for their consideration. There are a number of security concerns to take into account with regards to that, which we would need to thoroughly assess. However, we're aware that this is something our customers want, and we're taking this feedback seriously. I'll go ahead and add your vote.

I'll also pass on your suggestion to incorporate a button which allows the user to switch to the last used keyboard. Thanks!

Please let us know if you have any other feedback or suggestions.

• dave031
    dave031
    Community Member

Hey @peri

For me, it wouldn't need integration with other keyboards, I would want it to be more focused on filing in things with 1P data. Once I fill in the 1P data I switch back to another keyboard of my choice and continue writing. Switching keyboards is becoming easier and easier and has some real benefits.

• Thanks for the clarification. I'll pass this along!

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member

Still waiting internationalization of the 1P Keyboard...

• Our developers are still looking into this and have prioritized it as much as they can. We're hoping to be able to add localization to our custom keyboard in the near future! Thanks for checking in. :)

This discussion has been closed.