Newbie iPad, iphone, iMac syncing question

Looking for instructions
I purchased 1Password Pro for my iPad. I like it so much I plan on purchasing 1Password for my iMac. I can see that 1Password shows up on my iPhone just from syncing my apps with ITunes. I also understand I will have to get dropbox to sync them all. My question is this. Is there a place I can go to find the step-by-step instructions on how to sync these devices once I have all the required software (drop box on all devices and 1Password for my Mac) bearing in mind my original data is on my iPad? I see where so many folks have issues getting it going. I would rather go through step by step instructions rather than loading all of these and then floundering trying to get them to sync. PLEASE HELP THIS NEWBIE WHO LOVES THIS ON HER IPAD AND WANTS TO SHARE THE LOVE WITH HER OTHER DEVICES.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2011
    Welcome to the forums, mbdavis!

Please take a look at our Dropbox syncing guide and carefully follow the steps. A couple things I would like to point out:

• You do not need Dropbox installed on your iOS devices. All the necessary code for Dropbox syncing is already contained in 1Password Pro. Of course, you can use the Dropbox app on your iOS devices to access your other files in Dropbox, but it is not needed for 1Password syncing. :-)
    • You do need to install Dropbox on your Mac. This is one of the first steps outlined in the guide.
    • Regardless of where your data "starts out" (i.e., on your Mac, PC, or iOS device), setting up Dropbox syncing is the same. Your data will be pulled from all available iOS devices and merged on your desktop. In your case, you will start with an empty data file on your Mac and once Dropbox has finished syncing, you will see all of your iPad data on your Mac. From here on out, everything will be automatically updated between your Mac and iOS devices. B)

I hope that helps. Please let me know how it turns out.
  • khad wrote:

Welcome to the forums, mbdavis!

Please take a look at our Dropbox syncing guide and carefully follow the steps. A couple things I would like to point out:

• You do not need Dropbox installed on your iOS devices. All the necessary code for Dropbox syncing is already contained in 1Password Pro. Of course, you can use the Dropbox app on your iOS devices to access your other files in Dropbox, but it is not needed for 1Password syncing. :-)
    • You do need to install Dropbox on your Mac. This is one of the first steps outlined in the guide.
    • Regardless of where your data "starts out" (i.e., on your Mac, PC, or iOS device), setting up Dropbox syncing is the same. Your data will be pulled from all available iOS devices and merged on your desktop. In your case, you will start with an empty data file on your Mac and once Dropbox has finished syncing, you will see all of your iPad data on your Mac. From here on out, everything will be automatically updated between your Mac and iOS devices. B)

I hope that helps. Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks for the info. I assume I need to buy and download 1Password for Mac at the same time I download and set-up drop box on my Mac. Do I need to do anything with the 1Password Program set-up on the Mac?
  • mbdavis wrote:

Thanks for the info. I assume I need to buy and download 1Password for Mac at the same time I download and set-up drop box on my Mac. Do I need to do anything with the 1Password Program set-up on the Mac?

I've hit a wall: I get the following prompt when I try to sync from my iPad. "Cannot find 1Password data file in Dropbox. Please make sure you are using the latest version of 1Password on your Mac or Windows desktop. Also make sure that Drobbox is fully synced on your desktop"
  • MikeT
    edited February 2011
    mbdavis wrote:

I've hit a wall: I get the following prompt when I try to sync from my iPad. "Cannot find 1Password data file in Dropbox. Please make sure you are using the latest version of 1Password on your Mac or Windows desktop. Also make sure that Drobbox is fully synced on your desktop"
    Hi mbdavis,

You do not need to purchase 1Password for Mac now, you can download the trial version that we offer at our web site here: http://agile.ws/downloads.

Once you install 1Password, tell it to create a new data file and then go to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > General. Press the “Move to Dropbox” button to move your data file to the Dropbox folder. Once it is moved there, wait until the Dropbox Sync is done before trying again on the iPad. You can tell by looking at the Dropbox’s Icon on the Menu Bar, it should have a green checkmark.

Let me know how it turns out.
  • MikeT wrote:

Hi mbdavis,

You do not need to purchase 1Password for Mac now, you can download the trial version that we offer at our web site here: http://agile.ws/downloads.

Once you install 1Password, tell it to create a new data file and then go to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > General. Press the “Move to Dropbox” button to move your data file to the Dropbox folder. Once it is moved there, wait until the Dropbox Sync is done before trying again on the iPad. You can tell by looking at the Dropbox’s Icon on the Menu Bar, it should have a green checkmark.

Let me know how it turns out.

Thanks. It works great. Do you know if they will send me a notice to buy when my trial is up. I will certainly purchase for my Mac. Just don't want to have to set-up again. You were a great help.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    On behalf of Mike, you are quite welcome! :-)

1Password will certainly alert you when your trial is nearing its end. All you will need to do is enter your license key after purchasing 1Password for Mac. There will be no need to go through the setup process again.

Please let me know if there is anything else we can help with.

Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.