Chrome OS can now run Android apps

blicksky
blicksky
Community Member

It was recently announced that Google is working on allowing Android apps to run on Chrome OS (Chromebooks and Chromeboxes) without any porting required: http://chrome.blogspot.com/2014/09/first-set-of-android-apps-coming-to.html. They are rolling it out slowly, and are asking for suggestions on which apps they should concentrate on getting to work first: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10mlIGJq2ENubhkvTJYk11ujckA8t-RYx06qr61EPI_g/viewform. It would be very helpful if AgileBits could promote 1Password for Android for this. Currently, on my Chromebook, the only way I can access my vault is through 1Password Anywhere, which has many limitations. If would be awesome if I could run 1Password for Android on my Chromebook.

Comments

• blicksky
    blicksky
    Community Member

Everyone should fill out the form using the 1Password for Android Google Play link to help get it noticed!

• Thanks @blicksky‌ for pointing this out. I added 1Password also! :D

• Kurtois
    Kurtois
    Community Member

Thanks, @blicksky‌.

Let's keep our collective fingers crossed!

• Thanks for the vote @Kurtois!

• larsf
    larsf
    Community Member

Hi, I am a 1password user and I work on Chromebooks. I would like 1password to work better on Chromebooks as well and could bring this to the Google PM in charge of the Android Apps porting. I am curious how the app would sync the files across devices though, as Dropbox is not supported natively on a ChromeOS device. Happy to bump this if the Agile bits team would like to port the 1password for Android to ChromeOS

• saad
    edited January 2015

1Password does not require the Dropbox application to be installed as it directly communicates with Dropbox once you have approved the permissions in a web browser. We would love to see how the Android version of 1Password works on Chrome OS and determine if there is anything we need to do to support the OS better.

• briankelly
    briankelly
    Community Member

+1 please add native Chrome OS support for syncing encrypted password file from Dropbox to the 1p Chrome Extension. We're looking to deploy chromebooks company-wide. Native Chrome syncing support with 1p would make a big difference.

• Thanks for the feedback, @briankelly! I'm adding your :+1:

• cwb
    cwb
    Community Member

I don't know if adding my +1 to this will help get 1p on chromebook any sooner, but I want to do whatever is necessary to see it happen. My husband has regressed to using easy to remember passwords on his chromebook. He uses 1p on our windows computer since it is only used for financial work. Which means he uses the chromebook for everything else (all email and web searching) and without 1p he uses unsafe passwords. Which is why we need 1p on chromebooks.

• Hi, @cwb. Thanks for your input! I'll definitely add your :+1: as well.

I'd also like to recommend that your husband try out 1PasswordAnywhere. This will allow you read-only access to your vault data, so you can copy and paste tricky passwords from anywhere. :)

• cwb
    cwb
    Community Member

Thanks Peri, I had shown him how to use 1passwordanywhere a long time back, but that meant he had to also remember the dropbox password and all the steps to get to 1p. He is only using the same unsafe password on non-important sites. And he did agree to memorize his email password which he knows is important to keep safe. Now if there was a way to use wifi sync with a chromebook that would work for him, but it isn't an iOS device so I can't figure out how that would work.

• saad
    edited March 2015

Thanks for the vote! 1PasswordAnywhere is what we recommend for users syncing via Dropbox, to access your information on a Chromebook. We don't have a native application for the Chromebook but please do add 1Password to the form @ blicksky posted above if you haven't already. That would help a lot!

• Elastic
    Elastic
    Community Member

Filled out the form.

• Thanks @Elastic! We appreciate it. :)

• blicksky
    blicksky
    Community Member

The "ARC Welder" app is now available (in beta) that allows you to turn an Android APK into a Chrome web app: https://developer.chrome.com/apps/getstarted_arc. I played with turning the 1 Password Android app into a web app, and it kinda worked. I wasn't able to sync with DropBox, but I was able to create a new vault, add an entry, and use the app to copy the entry's password to the clipboard. There was one crash along the way.

Will 1 Password be able to investigate, and perhaps work towards having a future version of the Android 1 Password app address some of these issues? If this could work, it would be a great solution to getting access to your vault on Chromebooks.

• Hey @blicksky. :) We were just discussing this earlier, when we heard the news. A few of us were able to test it out and also experienced some crashes and other issues here and there.

Our developers are taking a look into this. We're can't promise that it will work out, but we definitely agree that it would be a great solution for our customers with Chromebooks. Thanks for the suggestion!

• theonecubed
    theonecubed
    Community Member

This info may also prove beneficial as the ChromeOS dev stack is testing extending the local FileAPI to use cloud services, like Dropbox, for file storage. http://www.omgchrome.com/chrome-os-add-new-services-file-manager-button/

• Ah, that's awesome to hear, @theonecubed! This is pretty exciting news. :)

I'll spread the word. Thanks for the info!

• harpojaeger
    harpojaeger
    Community Member

Hey there,
    I submitted the Android –> Chrome OS form too. Wanted to throw in my +1 for a native Chrome OS app, though. I'm using whatever Chrome OS filesystem extension for Dropbox comes packaged, and it works pretty well. Been using 1P on my Mac for many, many years, and I absolutely love it. Hoping Chrome OS is supported soon – 1Password Anywhere is helpful, but nowhere near as easy.

• saad
    edited June 2015

Thanks so much for your support, @harpojaeger. We appreciate that you filled out the form and added your vote to see 1Password on the Chrome OS platform! I’ll also let our team know there is interest around a native 1Password app for Chrome OS. :)

• Kurtois
    Kurtois
    Community Member

Waiting ever so patiently? 8-)

• Thanks! I'll pass your feedback along. :)

• ffredrikk
    ffredrikk
    Community Member
    edited September 2015

Submitted the "Android to Chrome OS" form.

+1 from me for native support on Chrome OS, as I already own it on OS X, Windows, Android and iPhone – and really miss it on Chrome OS.

What do you guys think, is it at all possible and are you considering it?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015

Thanks for submitting the form, @ffredrikk!

We would absolutely like to see this happen, and it seems like the more votes 1Password gets via that form, the more likely it will be. So spread the word! ;)

This discussion has been closed.