DATABASE BACKUP FAILED. The 1 Password Database could not be backed up

Hi
Getting this message repeatedly popping up. I get the following message:
DATABASE BACKUP FAILED. The 1 Password Database could not be backed up. Database exists but is invalid. One or more key files may be missing.
Cannot upgrade 1Password even though upgrade available. Fails at the part where it cannot find the archive files.

1Password Version: 3.8.21 (build 32009)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Yosemite 10.10.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@paulratcliff I have deleted your duplicate post so it will be easier for you to find answers by looking only in one place.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @paulratcliff ,

Since we're talking about 1Password 3, I've moved your post to the Legacy forums

Let's start off by getting this update issue fixed. To get the most recent version of 1Password 3:

• Quit 1Password
    • Download a fresh copy from our downloads page (just scroll to the bottom for the 'Legacy' versions)
    • Drag this fresh copy to the Applications folder and replace the existing copy

do not use any app cleaners to remove the old app

Once you have version 3.8.2.2 installed - are you still seeing this error message?

• paulratcliff
    paulratcliff
    Community Member

Yes, Megan. Still getting message. I now have 1password-2 and 1password-4 on my Yosemite 10.10.3 iMac. 1password-2 appears to work. Is this a licensing issue or have I lost some files?
    Thx
    Paul
    PS Been away hence delay in response

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @paulratcliff,

The one aspect I'm confident on is it won't be a licensing issue. When a trial expires we do make some limitations on how you can interact with 1Password but we try not to do it in a way that should leave a sour taste in a person's mouth. We don't deny access to anything inside the vault (while not quite ransomware it would feel a lot like it) and we wouldn't do anything that would stop 1Password from backing up or restoring a backup. Instead we limit what can be added to the vault in the hopes that if you're still using it you would see value in a licence.

So the first thing we need to ensure is that we're talking about the right version. I say this as there are pretty big differences between the versions. In your original post you mentioned 1Password 3 but in the latest you mention 1Password 2 and 1Password 4. The 2 might have been a typo for 3 but if you do have more than one version it would be prudent to ensure we're talking about the same one before we supply incorrect advice for the wrong one.

My suspicion is the error message is in 1Password 4 but I just want to make sure.

Now independently of this (it won't help with the error) but if you're running Yosemite then 1Password 5 is compatible with your version of OS X too. After we've got the database repaired you may want to consider upgrading as:

1. There are a lot of improvements and bug fixes in 1Password 5 over version 4.
    2. It's a free upgrade.

Once we hear back on which version is playing up we'll take it from there and hopefully get this resolved.

This discussion has been closed.