Master Password Not Working.

Options
Brenda_Hayden
Brenda_Hayden
Community Member

I downloaded the app on an iPhone 6 Plus, set up the Vault and now today, the Master Password is not working. I have been reading I should go to a backup from the phones sync to my mac, but the phone had not been synced, since the download of the app. After 3 incorrect entries of the Master Password, it tells me what the password clue is. I enter it, but it's incorrect. Any thoughts on where to go next?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

See if anything in this knowledge base article helps:

My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?

If you still have a problem after reading that please provide some more information so that someone can help. Please tell us:

I'm assuming you have no 1P data currently on your new phone. If that is correct you could simply delete the 1P app on your phone, re-download and re-install it and set it up again (i.e., without losing anything).

Stephen

• Brenda_Hayden
    Brenda_Hayden
    Community Member
    Options

Stephen, I have not downloaded anything for my MAC. Just downloaded the most recent version of 1Password on Sunday, via the App Store, onto my iPhone 6 Plus. Did not have any interaction with my Mac; all via iOS.
    I have not set up syncing on my MAC. I have not changed any password information on the iOS device, but did change a username and password when I set up my account to get into this forum.

When I try to log into the App and enter my Master Password, it gives me a hint after 3 wrong entries. I enter the answer for that hint, which I know is the Master Password that I set up and it tells me it's wrong. So, to this point, I have not been able to enter the App again. After I initially downloaded the App and entered my passwords for all my different accounts, then came back to the App a few times and entered via Touch ID on my iPhone, yesterday it just quit allowing me to enter: not by Touch ID and not by the Master Password that I originally entered.

I'm sure I did not set up Dropbox and not completely sure if I set up iCloud correctly.

Would you suggest deleting the App from my phone and downloading it again, while setting up and using the Username and Password that I set for this forum?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

If:

• nothing in the My Master Password is not being accepted knowledge base article helps; and
    • you currently have nothing of value saved in 1P for iOS

by all means delete the app, re-download and re-install it—setting it up with a new master password.

using the Username and Password that I set for this forum

I would not recommend using something that simple for your master password (even if the one you have to choose is rather a hassle to type on the phone). It's really important to have a strong (and, of course, memorable) master password because that's the one thing that protects the data you store in 1P. Have a look at this AgileBits blog post:

Toward Better Master Passwords

It really is worth taking time to think about your master password before you set it up: it needs to be strong, and it needs to be memorable. The linked article should help.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Brenda_Hayden ,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting 1Password set up! It looks like Stephen has been providing some excellent advice though. Have you managed to get things straightened out? If you're still having trouble, please let us know and we'd be happy to help!

I did just want to re-iterate what Stephen said:

Would you suggest deleting the App from my phone and downloading it again, while setting up and using the Username and Password that I set for this forum?

Your Master Password is the protection for your 1Password database. You want to create a strong and unique password for your Master Password. You should not use a password that you have used anywhere else. The article that Stephen shared should help you create a great Master Password.

This discussion has been closed.